Player Discussion Elias Lindholm

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
He will be immediately be given the opportunity to fill Kuzmenkos shoes from last year on the top line. But come playoff time, if Vancouver faces teams like LA or Vegas, having Lindholm center the third line would be beneficial.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Brough said this morning that management is comfortable with him being a rental, but I'm hopeful they can find the room to extend as long as he's asking for something in the $6-$7M salary range.

Assuming, of course, he proves worth retaining.

Extremely wishful thinking.

Despite how hesitant he sounded at the time, there were reports heading into training camp that he had a change of heart and may have been willing to re-up with the Flames. The Flames themselves were interested, and are believed to have offered Lindholm a maximum eight-year deal with a cap hit of roughly $9 million. Despite what seemed to be a very generous offer, however, Lindholm turned it down, something the Flames should be feeling very grateful for.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Flames fan here chiming in for lindholm. He was my favorite flames player ever since we stole him from carolina and was hoping and praying we could draft him in the 13 draft. I think we all know what hes great at, selke level D and crazy good on the draws. I think to get the most out of him offensively he needs to play with a primary puck carrier, he can carry the puck, but thats not hes strong suit. Lindy was at hes best then hes got JG flying around and he gets open and wires it with a lethal wrister. Unfortunately ever since JG left no one could get the puck to him when he gets open there, and he was also forced to do the puck carrying himself, because no one else could. i saw that wrister goal 20+ times for each of his first four yrs here and then maybe 5 the last 2 yrs combined. Get him a play making puck carrier he will be a 30g+ selke c easily.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018

That’s either BS or he didn’t want to play in Calgary anymore. Turning down 8x9M as a 29 year old while generally producing below ppg is utter insanity.

Reactions: LuckyDay

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
That’s either BS or he didn’t want to play in Calgary anymore. Turning down 8x9M as a 29 year old while generally producing below ppg is utter insanity.
This was early this season or right before it. Still, he clearly values himself as a legit 1C and wants to be paid as such. I bet his agent will point to the PLD contract despite the age difference. The Hertl/Horvat contracts as well.

He’s not signing here for 6.5 or 7.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This was early this season or right before it. Still, he clearly values himself as a legit 1C and wants to be paid as such. I bet his agent will point to the PLD contract despite the age difference. The Hertl/Horvat contracts as well.

He’s not signing here for 6.5 or 7.

Unless he has a massive rebound here, he isn't signing anywhere for more than $6 million. He can value himself all he wants but if he finishes with 52 points he isn't getting $8 million or whatever.

Weird player. He's a very good defensive C but offensively plays more like a winger. Doesn't really carry the puck but is a nice finisher with a lethal snapshot ... but that finishing hasn't really been there the past two years.

No idea what we're going to get here. I wouldn't be shocked if he clicked with Pettersson and scored 15 goals in the last 30 games and I also wouldn't be shocked if we overpaid for another guy in the Suter/Blueger tier.

Grip it N RYP it

Apr 20, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
The question is now what number will he wear.

He wore 16, then 28, which we can assume is 2x8 = 16.

Ian Cole already took 82.

Will it be 44? 61?

Heard today during the Jeff Marek show, he'll wear #23 for Vancouver as per Elliot Friedman, and will have a Vancouver patch, during the All-Star game.

I'm guessing he'll wear a Canucks jersey during the intro and skills. Awkward, since he's initially representing the Flames.

Doubt he gets the John Scott treatment.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Unless he has a massive rebound here, he isn't signing anywhere for more than $6 million. He can value himself all he wants but if he finishes with 52 points he isn't getting $8 million or whatever.

Weird player. He's a very good defensive C but offensively plays more like a winger. Doesn't really carry the puck but is a nice finisher with a lethal snapshot ... but that finishing hasn't really been there the past two years.

No idea what we're going to get here. I wouldn't be shocked if he clicked with Pettersson and scored 15 goals in the last 30 games and I also wouldn't be shocked if we overpaid for another guy in the Suter/Blueger tier.

What you've just described is basically Horvat with better defensive abilities.

No idea where he lands contract-wise but $6m seems pretty low.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Based on his scouting reports and what I’ve read, he’ll thrive in our PP1 bumper position and he might actually be a really good fit on Miller’s wing or center. Two strong passers in Miller/Boeser and a strong puck carrier in Miller.

I can’t tell how he’ll do with Pettersson but lets hope he has a year 1 Kuzmenko spark there as well.

Reactions: vanuck

RichLittle

Oct 16, 2022
Brough said this morning that management is comfortable with him being a rental, but I'm hopeful they can find the room to extend as long as he's asking for something in the $6-$7M salary range.

Assuming, of course, he proves worth retaining.
He was asking for 9.5+ over 8yrs. He isn't signing for 6-7M LOL

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

It's a really interesting case for sure, but market dynamics will have a huge effect as he is currently projected to be the best RH Centre (who actually plays centre full time) come free agency where $128MM of cumulative new cap space is available. If Stamkos/Reinhart stay with their Florida tax haven teams, the market is him and Guentzel and then a bunch of 33/34 year olds.

ephmrl

5th overall.
Nov 26, 2011
Victoria, BC
He was asking for 9.5+ over 8yrs. He isn't signing for 6-7M LOL
That’s before his value tanked from the very underwhelming season he’s had, at least on the offensive side. All depends on how the fit is here for him and the team, and how he feels about the organization once he’s had the chance to adjust.

The number his agent was looking for from a mediocre Flames team before Lindholm’s regression should be completely different than the number he’d be looking for from the Canucks, especially if Lindholm loves the role Tocchet gives him and the team goes deep in the playoffs.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

To quote Arcade Gannon from Fallout NV: what a load of Brahmin SHIT!

I'd be very surprised if the guy who wrote this piece of crap has not passed out from copium overdose.

This makes that lone Flames fan who thought the Flames fleeced Orcas on the Zad trade look like Albert Einstein in comparison.

I mean yeah we've seen bad takes and all but this? Good lord someone needs a reality check, STAT.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
To quote Arcade Gannon from Fallout NV: what a load of Brahmin SHIT!

I'd be very surprised if the guy who wrote this piece of crap has not passed out from copium overdose.

This makes that lone Flames fan who thought the Flames fleeced Orcas on the Zad trade look like Albert Einstein in comparison.

I mean yeah we've seen bad takes and all but this? Good lord someone needs a reality check, STAT.
This was a pretty popular rumour like 4-5 months ago. I believe even Friedman has alluded to this in the past but without the specific numbers.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I'm here for the El Hog line lets f***ing go
I actually think this could work well. Lindholm is better off the puck, Hog and Petey can carry it and make plays. Both Elias’s can snipe and finish plays. Both can take faceoffs on their strong sides. Hog can be the digger on the line who does the dirty work. Petey doesn’t have to be as paranoid about being the main defensively responsible forward either.

Sadly I think Mikheyev will get first crack at it though, forcing Petey to be the main puck carrier.

Reactions: bh53

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
The thing is if you like the player I can't see his value being lower then what it is right now. I imagine his offense should increase on van (hopefully) but then the asking price will probably go back up.

Tough situation if he wants more then 8 million.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
The thing is if you like the player I can't see his value being lower then what it is right now. I imagine his offense should increase on van (hopefully) but then the asking price will probably go back up.

Tough situation if he wants more then 8 million.
Only way we can keep him is if he can be convinced to take a discount to stay, which he has little reason to do. I'm fine with him as a rental. If he decides he wants to stay that's great

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Only way we can keep him is if he can be convinced to take a discount to stay, which he has little reason to do. I'm fine with him as a rental. If he decides he wants to stay that's great

Yeah, was mainly saying though your in a tough spot because I doubt his value is lower then it is right now, playing on van his ask could go up like bo if his offense ramps up, but it's also hard to commit money right now. It's a catch 22. You see he fits well, he performs well the price goes up, but if you try to get an extension done right away when his value is lower also creates other problems with lots of questions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad