Elias Pettersson.. Playoff Ghost

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
His most consistent winger is Mikheyev. Edmonton could leave him unmarked and the worst he could do is a shot into the crest of the goalie. Even Skinner could stop all his shots!

Mikheyev is okay defensively but he's an offensive blackhole. For a visual representation, Mikheyev is like this:

1715778629622.png

Attachments

• 1715778621561.png
    1715778621561.png
    429.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 1715778621729.png
    1715778621729.png
    429.6 KB · Views: 5

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
If there was an injury or something else holding him back or affecting him—I don't think Tocchet would be putting him on notice like this. There are clearly other Canucks players hurting and they are playing through it.

Yes, his 5v5 wingers have not been quality NHL players. But he's looked equally as poor playing on the Canucks PP with Hughes/Boeser/Miller/Lindholm.

He might've signed that 8-year deal—but his NTC/NMC doesn't begin until 2025-26. Non-zero chance that Canucks management sours on the deal and trades him before they are locked-in then.

Lindholm's strong play is going to make this off-season very interesting for Vancouver. I didn't see it before, but now I think there is a real path to the Canucks re-signing Lindholm and moving Pettersson.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
I still find it weird that he was having a really good season and insisted that he wouldn't talk contract until season is over. Then his play goes off a cliff and two weeks later he signs his deal. Could be completely unrelated, but it definitely gave the impression that something happened and he knew he wasn't going to match his previous season's production and needed to get the deal done.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Is he playing through something, nursing an injury perhaps?
I doubt it but can't completely discredit the possibility. Judging by his regular season play style and what he has been doing in the playoffs you can tell he is just not built for playoff hockey, especially in the west.

I've noticed Garland more than him.
Garland's style translates to playoff hockey much better than EP40s.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
He is going to be the 5th highest paid player in the NHL next season.
Sweet Jesus.

Hopefully he can use some of that newfound money to hire the best sports psychologist on the market.

His most consistent winger is Mikheyev. Edmonton could leave him unmarked and the worst he could do is a shot into the crest of the goalie. Even Skinner could stop all his shots!
I guess the hope would be that the 5th highest paid player in the NHL would be able to produce, frankly regardless of the quality of his linemates.

NailsHoglander

Feb 20, 2024
One of the best shooters in the league can't shoot for half a year? Obviously injured. Even the PP goal he scored was a half slap weak shot.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
$11.6 million

4 points. -2 in 11 games.

That's abysmal.

After spending the better part of a season + saying or suggesting how he only wants to play for a competitive team that wants to win I have to wonder if he even sees the hypocrisy regarding his play.

And before anyone says he plays with Mikheyev, Mikheyev was trending almost exactly like Hyman before Hyman went to Edmonton and look what happened with his playing with McDavid. He elevated his play the same way Crosby does/did every winger he played with.

Great players elevate the players beside them. We're absolutely not seeing that at all with Pettersson

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
He's not wrong. Pettersson has not been good.

Is there something behind it? maybe, probably?

But he's definitely too good and important player to not showing up in the post season even if injured.

WiLBoY

Aug 29, 2009
I still find it weird that he was having a really good season and insisted that he wouldn't talk contract until season is over. Then his play goes off a cliff and two weeks later he signs his deal. Could be completely unrelated, but it definitely gave the impression that something happened and he knew he wasn't going to match his previous season's production and needed to get the deal done.
That's what it feels like. People keep saying he's disappeared in the playoffs but he disappeared way before that.

It was strange because he didn't want to talk contract but then decided to sign when he was playing poorly.

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
He's a really poor playoff performer. Can tell he's rattled by the physical intensity, shades of Matthews/Marner. Canucks fans were mad at me for suggesting that Pettersson could struggle in his first real try at playoff hockey (2020 bubble doesn't count)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad