Elias Pettersson.. Playoff Ghost

pekka55

Dec 21, 2023
He had 72 pts in his first 55 games, then 23 points in his next 40, clearly there was an issue.
Not everything is physical. Could be mental also. Dude got paid and is set for life, some people let that go to their head. And don't get me wrong, I would probably also not give 100% if I'd already be set for life.

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
I've been confused since Day 1 that the guy is treated like a league superstar.

People on these boards absolutely crucify Tavares, and yet he has more points and goals than Petterson since the guy entered the league lol. Not saying he's the better player by any stretch, but Pettersson has had one very good season, and other than that does not deserve to be treated like he's a 1A player in the league.
Yeah, sometimes good player get treated unfair. Tarvares got criticism in New York as well, but nothing really compares to Toronto. They always expect more.(maybe too much!) Just not sure of the specific comparison between these too. Different players sure, and Tavares has more goal, but elias has more points per game. Even has more per game in the playoffs, although less games because, you know, Vancouver. Again I'm not the one making a comparison, just wondering why this is one?

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
I'm sure he's tried to get through to Pettersson in a multitude of ways and felt this might be a last resort. Pettersson has been coddled by management, coaches and fans enough that tough love is all they have left. But Pettersson also strikes me as a guy who might further spiral with criticism.

Even if he is injured, he doesn't seem to be labouring to the extent where his play should dip this much. And you also have to fight through this sort of stuff. Hell, Bergeron won a Cup with a hole in his lung.
Yes and Fedorov won one with 2 broken ribs and everyone in detroit gave him shit for not scoring 20 goals and 40 pts. (Ilitch included if memory serves.)

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Not everything is physical. Could be mental also. Dude got paid and is set for life, some people let that go to their head. And don't get me wrong, I would probably also not give 100% if I'd already be set for life.

Pettersson had 18 pts (7g) in 17GP in the Canucks last playoff run. He also had 19 pts in 13g in his D+1 year where the Vaxjo Lakers won the SHL championship, he was the tournament MVP. Doesn't seem like the kind of guy who doesn't care about winning.

Reactions: Szechwan

nuxnux1

Oct 17, 2022
Not worried about one bad showing, throw in a few and sure we can label him a playoff choker. So far he has one really good one and one stinker, nothing like marner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad