F Gavin McKenna - Medicine Hat Tigers, WHL (2026 Draft)

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Are CHLers allowed to turn pro in non-NHL leagues? I assumed since they can’t play in the AHL that something like the Swiss NL would also not be an option, especially with not even being drafted yet.
I don't think the chl agreement extends to European leagues, but I could be wrong.

I remember there were whispers that Lafreniere would explore his options overseas after he was CHL player of the year in his D-1. Obviously he didn't, but I don't recall anyone saying that he would be prevented from doing it if he wanted

That being said, I think the idea that a player at 17 or 18 is too good for the chl or would stagnate is overblown and untrue. Mario averaged over 4 pts per game in his draft year , seems almost silly and that he was in reality too good for the league, but did it hurt his development? No. Crosby was chl POY at 16 - seems like he has nothing left to prove right? Well it didn't hurt his development either. One example perhaps would be Tavares who more or less stagnated his final 2 years in the ohl, and while not becoming a generational player he was still able to be a multiple time hart finalist. Do I really belive that he would be any better had he gone to Europe for his draft year? Honestly, I don't.

I think it can actually be good for these guys to dominate and put up insane numbers in Jr. Matthews is obviously a huge success story after playing pro in his draft year but we also have countless examples of guys who tore the chl up and went on to be HOFers

Last edited:

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
McKenna is locked in the WHL. Medicine Hat would have to allow it. And they’re obviously not going to do that.

When you sign in the WHL, you sign on for 4 years. Only NHL contracts can nullify that agreement. When players come back for an overage season, they have to resign for one season.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
His CHL team holds his rights. Medicine Hat would have to okay the move. Which they obviously won't do.

Yes, contracts are 4 years (for 16 year old prospects) and the Tigers would have to release him. Various transfer agreements, and legal issues would prevent him from just leaving and playing in Europe during his draft season.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
His CHL team holds his rights. Medicine Hat would have to okay the move. Which they obviously won't do.
Let's say hypothetically McKenna puts up 150 points next year and the Tigers win the memorial cup.

Now I don't necessarily think he would do this, but just imagine that happens and McKenna (along with his family) approach the Tigers and say "look, we have given everything to this organization for the last 2-3 years, we accomplished the ultimate goal here and we want to move on for the sake of Gavin's development" - I think they would let him. Do I expect that to happen? absolutely not but I do think that given he truly had no desire to return to the WHL and had proven he was above that level they would have to accept it and move on. Imagine the bad press if he went to the media before his draft year and said he had asked for a transfer and they denied him. That's the kind of thing that makes your organization look horrible.

I think too many things would have to happen for any of that to come to fruition though, and I fully expect him to play out the next 2 years in the WHL.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Yes, contracts are 4 years (for 16 year old prospects) and the Tigers would have to release him. Various transfer agreements, and legal issues would prevent him from just leaving and playing in Europe during his draft season.
The Tigers wouldn't have to release him.

Let's say hypothetically McKenna puts up 150 points next year and the Tigers win the memorial cup.

Now I don't necessarily think he would do this, but just imagine that happens and McKenna (along with his family) approach the Tigers and say "look, we have given everything to this organization for the last 2-3 years, we accomplished the ultimate goal here and we want to move on for the sake of Gavin's development" - I think they would let him. Do I expect that to happen? absolutely not but I do think that given he truly had no desire to return to the WHL and had proven he was above that level they would have to accept it and move on. Imagine the bad press if he went to the media before his draft year and said he had asked for a transfer and they denied him. That's the kind of thing that makes your organization look horrible.

I think too many things would have to happen for any of that to come to fruition though, and I fully expect him to play out the next 2 years in the WHL.
Yeah I mean I suppose it could happen in that scenario but it has never happened before and there are a lot of ifs that would have to come true even in that scenario. He will almost for sure play out his years in the WHL before getting drafted.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I don't think the chl agreement extends to European leagues, but I could be wrong.

I remember there were whispers that Lafreniere would explore his options overseas after he was CHL player of the year in his D-1. Obviously he didn't, but I don't recall anyone saying that he would be prevented from doing it if he wanted

That being said, I think the idea that a player at 17 or 18 is too good for the chl or would stagnate is overblown and untrue. Mario averaged over 4 pts per game in his draft year , seems almost silly and that he was in reality too good for the league, but did it hurt his development? No. Crosby was chl POY at 16 - seems like he has nothing left to prove right? Well it didn't hurt his development either. One example perhaps would be Tavares who more or less stagnated his final 2 years in the ohl, and while not becoming a generational player he was still able to be a multiple time hart finalist. Do I really belive that he would be any better had he gone to Europe for his draft year? Honestly, I don't.

I think it can actually be good for these guys to dominate and put up insane numbers in Jr. Matthews is obviously a huge success story after playing pro in his draft year but we also have countless examples of guys who tore the chl up and went on to be HOFers

Totally agree with you on the chl point. A ton of players have been great, and continue to develop in the chl. No player is a complete package at 16, and there's lots to learn, besides just looking at points.

What's also overblown is this going pro at 17 thing. Matthews blazed a trail, yet no has followed it. Do you know why?

1. Matthews turned 18 two days after the Sept 15 cutoff. He wasn't particularly interested in college or the whl. In essence, he was like a free agent after graduating from the USNDP. Also, according to Swiss law, he couldn't officially sign a contract until he was 18, which meant he missed 4 games.

2. Marc Crawford recruited him. Only he would be able to give the coaching and ice time for Matthews to succeed. I don't expect a European coach to do the same.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
There's no transfer agreement between the CHL and European leagues nor does the CHL operate under the umbrella of the IIHF, so they'd rely on Hockey Canada blocking the transfer and/or have to sue the player for contract breach.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad