F James Hagens - USNTDP Juniors, USHL (2025 Draft)

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
It’s not that strong. He’s better than half the players that made the team and half of them are not projected NHL’ers or projected bottom half of the lineup NHL’ers.

Everyone talks about how good the USA forwards are, but Canada’s forwards are likely better. It was good for a USA forward core, but they’ve disintegrated the strength of the forward core with stupid selections.

Canada wouldn’t leave out their best players for the future. USA does. Canada fans also get furious when bad decisions are made. USA fans shill for USA Hockey, and refuse to question it.
Did Celebrini make Team Canada last year?

Hagens will make the team next year, and will be better ready for a top spot.

Reactions: Blueston

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Did Celebrini make Team Canada last year?
Wrong thread obviously to talk about this but I think if he’s playing in Seattle (especially with all the Seattle guys that made the team last year) he gets a serious look, 30/70 he makes it.

As for Hagens, I’m surprised he wasn’t included, I think as a 3 C or winger he is competent defensively, provides depth scoring and skates better than most on the team. But there’s not too much to complain about, I still think it’s the best forward group at the tournament

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
It’s not that strong. He’s better than half the players that made the team and half of them are not projected NHL’ers or projected bottom half of the lineup NHL’ers.

Everyone talks about how good the USA forwards are, but Canada’s forwards are likely better. It was good for a USA forward core, but they’ve disintegrated the strength of the forward core with stupid selections.

Canada wouldn’t leave out their best players for the future. USA does. Canada fans also get furious when bad decisions are made. USA fans shill for USA Hockey, and refuse to question it.
It was noted by multiple people including Chris Peters that he looked a bit overmatched at camp. Was getting knocked off pucks easily and not winning battles. Again they arent picking this team based on upside. In a 2 week tournament today he is not a better option than those chosen

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA

Where does Hagans fit on this team?

Perreault-Smith-Leonard
Gautheir-Nazar-Brindley
McGroarty-Moore-Snuggerud
Nelson-Terrance-Howard
Hayes-Finley

This forward group is stacked. That top 9 is stronger than Canada’s on paper. And the D-Core is solid. Who’s he taking a job from on this group? Hagans is talented but he’s undersized and young. Hagans just wouldn’t have a role on this team if he’s not in the top 6 and PP.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
A bit disappointing we won’t get to watch him but he’s gonna be the youngest guy in the team NEXT year so he will have his shot to impress at this level before he is even drafted.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It was noted by multiple people including Chris Peters that he looked a bit overmatched at camp. Was getting knocked off pucks easily and not winning battles. Again they arent picking this team based on upside. In a 2 week tournament today he is not a better option than those chosen
And Corey Pronman said that he looked great at yesterdays practice.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Where does Hagans fit on this team?

Perreault-Smith-Leonard
Gautheir-Nazar-Brindley
McGroarty-Moore-Snuggerud
Nelson-Terrance-Howard
Hayes-Finley

This forward group is stacked. That top 9 is stronger than Canada’s on paper. And the D-Core is solid. Who’s he taking a job from on this group? Hagans is talented but he’s undersized and young. Hagans just wouldn’t have a role on this team if he’s not in the top 6 and PP.
No offense, I doubt those will be the lines, so you are asking me to respond to what won't be the lines. Anyway, I would easily take Moore out of that top 9 to start with.

I'm not suggesting there aren't good players there or that isn't a good forward group, but Hagens is better than a lot of those players, it could've been better, Canada's forward group is likely better, and the thing you didn't mention but shouldn't be dismissed is that under the current roster construction the team is asking Gauthier to play center without any other regular center alternative in the top 9.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
"He's jUsT a pLAymAkeR who gets points from setting up Eiserman!" -- Spongebob, the hockey scout
He shoots it well. He's not like a Bedard or Celebrini. Those guys are closer to shooters than passers, but he's not that much worse of a shooter than passer.

It's part of why I don't think the Hughes comparison is that exact. Hughes has improved his shot, but couldn't beat goalies clean with shots and was a lot more of a playmaker at the same point.

Reactions: JotAlan

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
His pride for coming from Long Island completely comes across in this article. His agent is a no-name former hockey player from Long Island, he's buddies with Coronato and Tanner Adams, and like half this article is about his upbringing in Long Island. He has a younger sister who the article says is good. She's three years younger than him. Also included is that Michael is a lot better academically (Straight A's) and James isn't that, so Harvard Admissions probably is why they ended up at BC.

• Love
Reactions: SI90

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
The point in the article about his compete level and the "snarl" to his game for a high skill player is something that always jumped out to me about him. (And is a big reason I think he'll succeed)

I remember in the world U18's he believed Misa took a dive to draw a penalty against him, and Hagens took such exception to it he didn't let him forget about it for the rest of the game.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Hagens really has it all. He’s smart enough to be a good defensive player once he gets used to NHLers. If only he were 2-3 inches taller, he’d be just about a perfect player.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad