F Konsta Helenius - Jukurit, FIN Liiga (2024 Draft)

Jypinmies

Aug 12, 2023
Sweden and USA paid special attention to Helenius. Kinda hard for him to do much when the opponents knew that if they stop this guy they basically stop the whole team.
"Don't tell me that you're this great, great player if they can slow you down" Charles Barkley. I hate this excuse.

• Love
Reactions: LeProspector

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
"Don't tell me that you're this great, great player if they can slow you down" Charles Barkley. I hate this excuse.

A team that focuses on silencing opposing team's top players is a tactic, not an excuse. It's pretty f***ing common. Helenius was still the best player on the ice for Finland, which tells a lot about the other players on his team.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
A team that focuses on silencing opposing team's top players is a tactic, not an excuse. It's pretty f***ing common. Helenius was still the best player on the ice for Finland, which tells a lot about the other players on his team.
It's still an excuse, he was playing player his age not NHL superstar or even overager.

Jypinmies

Aug 12, 2023
Star players don't get to have this excuse. They are expected to produce when games get important.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Who’s arguing Helenius is a great, great player though? He’s a player projected to go somewhere in the 5-12 range.

Great, great = a generational talent or at least a perennial all-star type. He’s very good, especially his decision making, but those arguing he’s not as good as others claim seem to be arguing against a strawman to me. I don’t see anyone claiming he’s absolutely amazing.

Personally, I think he looked pretty good at the U18s. He didn’t blow me away but he was clearly the best player on a team that didn’t score a lot. Small sample size but matched the strengths and weaknesses I saw in his Liiga games.

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
I think he had pretty good U18 tounament, but not as good as I hoped for. Maybe this was for the best, at least he won't be drafted in top 8 and likely will miss some tire fire organizations.

He will be playing for men's team Finland against strong team Sweden today (starting right now) in European Hockey Tour match..

Hntz

Jan 6, 2018
Looked more like himself today. 0+1, 70% on faceoffs and a beautiful shootout goal. I think he makes the team.

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
Very good today against Sweden. To me he was the best Finn in this match, but good that Kaski was chosen as our MVP as the prize was loads of Pilsner Urquell beer :D

I have seen him many times this season playing men's matches (also live) and he's always been good. Really hope he makes our WHC team! He makes us better!

Edit: Studio team (after game broadcast) marked him Finland's 1C for World Champioships with Puustinen and Granlund as his wingers. Would be interesting line for sure..

Last edited:

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
He really seems to be at his best against men. He played well. From an interview I saw he seemed to be bummed he was sent to play with the U18 team in the first place so maybe his head wasn't in the right place to dominate there because his heart wasn't 100% on it. Thats why he was good because without giving his all he was still good but he didn't dominate like he could've.

Or maybe he is just better playing with men.

His shootout goal from today:

Last edited:

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Hmm... I understand you but...
I believe he has a good attitude and gave it all or at least tried to do so. I just think his game is suited for the next level with more mature and better players overall. He seems to have determination and be a smart player and I do think he will be successful. He just isn't that Lambert, Kemell or say MacKinnon kind of a guy. Flashy that can dangle everyone on a given day, not yet at least and not his playing style either.
I believe he'll be more of a Bäckström light. Another player I wasn't always impressed by when seeing him playing those WJC's etc.
That's why I actually hope Flyers draft him. So he can center Michkovs line. Philly needs some exciting prospects. They haven't had ones for almost a decade .

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Some scouts are apparently super high on him (heard even nro 2) and some others are way lower. Very interesting to see where he will end up going considering the mix of views on this board as well. Some people would love their team to pick him and others would rather pick someone else. He was super impressive playing with the Finnish men's national team every time he stepped on the ice, even probably being the best player on the team.

Reactions: king89 and Jabba11

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Hockey Now seems to insinuate the team very high on Helenius is Anaheim. So take that for what it is worth, which is basically Fourth Period level reliability.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lol Erik Haula? Sure Haula has made the most of his career and became a decent NHL player but c'mon Helenius is much more talanted.
Haula has been a middle six forward for his career. Can play center or wing. Good motor, tougher than he looks, can play in all situations. Has some skill, but it’s nothing outrageous. He’s a smart player. A little undersized. He’s scored over 40 points three times with a career high of 55 points. He averages 38 points per 82 games for his career.

Thats what I think Helenius will be, and I think any team will take that between 11-15. I don’t see him reaching the level of Aho or Suzuki that some have suggested.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Lol Erik Haula? Sure Haula has made the most of his career and became a decent NHL player but c'mon Helenius is much more talanted.
Actually, Haula was a very talented college player on a vg team. Outscored Bjugstad, a 1st rounder, some seasons, even though he wasn't given premium TOI (that went to Bjugstad and Rau). Was a great skater, better than Helenius, though his knee injury in Vegas slowed him down a bit.

Mike Yeo was his first coach, and did his level best to quash any offensive instincts and creativity in his game, turning him into a checking forward, which to him, was the height of the mountain. What a turd of a coach he was, in retrospect. Wasted some of MN's most talented years.

Having said all that, I agree that you hope for a higher ceiling than Haula. Their games are somewhat similar, though.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
I still think they are very different as players. Both being good is another thing.
Haula always reminded me of the old Finnish style and players. Does his work and skates well and has some skill. Even if Helenius skating is okay and the effort level, he reminds me just as much of older Swedish players actually. Cool with the puck, can play it fast but can hold it if needed and create some extra space. Helenius isn't necessarily the better scorer but I hope and do believe he will create a bit more and have some more playmaking ability than Haula.

Reactions: Guadana

jaa

Oct 24, 2013
I just think his game is suited for the next level with more mature and better players overall. He seems to have determination and be a smart player and I do think he will be successful. He just isn't that Lambert, Kemell or say MacKinnon kind of a guy.
Spot on, in my opinion.

Some players are suited better for chaotic junior hockey, players you mentioned are good examples of these. Speed, hands, straightforward thinking, doing ballsy and risky plays. That stuff is what will attract success in junior hockey.

Helenius is total opposite in my opinion. His game is all about brains, knowing where to be on the ice (and when), doing smart and efficient plays, giving space to linemates with smart movement, being aware. He has played against men a ton for his age, so it is no surprise for me that he excels better when playing with older men.

Barkov was like this in wjc tournaments. Was not flashy at all, and people were dissapointed in his game at junior level. I think Helenius' situation is similar. Their game is high IQ, smart decision making, "percentage" hockey.

If you play with men ages 17+, in a competitive and not-developement league, you start to think the game differently than your teammates that play junior. You expect them to have the awareness to see the game in a higher level, on a more tactical sense. Especially if you are prone to play responsible, mature game.

I think Helenius is flying under the radar for most of the fanbase, surprisingly low hype. Similar style player, Anton Lundell got much more attention. I unironically think Helenius has bigger ceiling. He has above average wrister, top notch IQ and decision making, good skating for a finnish prospect, he is very gritty and not afraid of contact for his size. Plays with head up, is responsible, still capable of doing surprising things with the puck (not that cringe tier high-risk stuff that work in juniors but not in the nhl).

I'd say his floor is a 0.5ppg, defensively responsible middle-6 center. And ceiling is sebastian aho tier.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Haula has been a middle six forward for his career. Can play center or wing. Good motor, tougher than he looks, can play in all situations. Has some skill, but it’s nothing outrageous. He’s a smart player. A little undersized. He’s scored over 40 points three times with a career high of 55 points. He averages 38 points per 82 games for his career.

Thats what I think Helenius will be, and I think any team will take that between 11-15. I don’t see him reaching the level of Aho or Suzuki that some have suggested.
I understand what you are saying but there is a gap between points and the level of Aho- Suzuki contra Haula. Even if he doesn't reach their level he could still become something better than Haula in the end.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I understand what you are saying but there is a gap between points and the level of Aho- Suzuki contra Haula. Even if he doesn't reach their level he could still become something better than Haula in the end.
That’s true and I admit he could end up being as you’re suggesting.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
I have been impressed by him - always hard to tell but he seems to be quite mature for his age, very determined and talented.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Button has Helenius going to the Flames in his mock and usually of all his predictions he is usually close with the Flames, so I assume the Flames will be heavily interested in him.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
No Helenius in Finland's lineup in first game against Czechia. Sad. He should be centering Puistola and Jormakka.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad