F Tanner Howe - Regina Pats, WHL (2024 Draft)

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
Just got home from the game, it was super entertaining, the goalies couldn't stop a beach ball in the first half of the game. Personally, I would give Howe 1st star, Bedard 2nd, and maybe Parker 3rd star, even though he was -3. Howe was all over the place and spent basically the entire game in the ozone. Bedard doesn't have high-end speed, so he doesn't jump out at you immediately, like McDavid does, but he clearly thinks the game on another level. My complaint with him is that he glides around a lot, and it sometimes seems like he's play-watching.

The defense on both teams seemed pretty poor, which made the offense look great.

Howe and Bedard dominated what seemed to me to be low level competition, which is good to see, but I don't think either player would tell you that they had great games.

Reactions: Bubbles

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
He is still 16 BTW...

Last season he started the season as an 15 year old, broke Pats
(16 year old) rookie records, 3 of them actually, goals (27), assists (42) and points (69).

His 4 goal game ties Connor Bedard's Pats record 4 goals in 1 game as a 16 year old
but his 6 points is 1 game is a new Pats record as a 16 year old.
(Bedard scored 5 points twice last season).

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Just got home from the game, it was super entertaining, the goalies couldn't stop a beach ball in the first half of the game. Personally, I would give Howe 1st star, Bedard 2nd, and maybe Parker 3rd star, even though he was -3. Howe was all over the place and spent basically the entire game in the ozone. Bedard doesn't have high-end speed, so he doesn't jump out at you immediately, like McDavid does, but he clearly thinks the game on another level. My complaint with him is that he glides around a lot, and it sometimes seems like he's play-watching.

The defense on both teams seemed pretty poor, which made the offense look great.

Howe and Bedard dominated what seemed to me to be low level competition, which is good to see, but I don't think either player would tell you that they had great games.
Thanks for the report. Does Bedard gliding remind you of Crosby? I remember having the exact same thoughts about Crosby when he played for Rimouski. He literally looked like he just glided about with his huge length strength almost like he was conserving for a fast burst. Very few strides. I don't know..just struck me that your comment was exactly how I felt about Crosby back in his junior days.

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
Thanks for the report. Does Bedard gliding remind you of Crosby? I remember having the exact same thoughts about Crosby when he played for Rimouski. He literally looked like he just glided about with his huge length strength almost like he was conserving for a fast burst. Very few strides. I don't know..just struck me that your comment was exactly how I felt about Crosby back in his junior days.
Not to make this thread about Bedard, but a lot great players tend to do that. Lemieux was another that comes to mind. All game they just seem to be floating around, not necessarily using a lot of effort, yet somehow always end up on the scoresheet. It's like that with some really elite players. They don't always have to appear to work hard to impact the game and end up on the scoresheet.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
RE: Bedard

I've thought about the game a lot more and I've kinda decided that his gliding comes from two things:

1. He plays a TON, so he has to be efficient with his skating
2. He's literally sneaking around on the ice, and with his IQ does an amazing job of getting to open ice, and because he sees the ice so well, he gives himself time to pick the best play, while also being deceptive.

I don't think he'll glide around as much in the NHL, mostly because the game will speed up closer to his natural pace. He does have good speed and can separate from defenders, but he's happy to bob and weave through traffic.

Reactions: waitin425

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Up to 20 goals and 23 assists in 30 games

The more I watch him play, the more I think that he will have a Brian Propp type of career or Kyle Connor to use a present day player not in terms of style of play but in point production and status.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
In case anyone wondered what he did while Bedard was away:
11GP 3G 5A
Man Regina is an extremely poor team offensively outside of Bedard and Howe and Howe is more a complimentary type of scoring forward in the NHL than a motor playdriver.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
insanely disappointing season for Howe, nuts!
so inconsistent and heartless. maybe he can get back at it at his draft season next season.
- sure he has 1.20 ppg average this season but helluva lots more was expected from him
after crazy good last season, which was his rookie season, broke some records...

been games where Howe has scored tons of points, but then again too many
goose egg games or games where he has gotten just 1 assist or 1 goal.

4+2=6
2+3=5
2+2=4
1+3=4
0+4=4
0+3=3
1+2=3
1+1=2
1+1=2
1+1=2
1+1=2
0+2=2
0+2=2
-------
14+27=41 (3.15 ppg)

15 x 0+0 games
17 x 1 point games
= 17 points in 32 games (0.53 ppg)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
When he gets his shit together in games, dude can score 3 - 6 points a game (at this level)
but when he is in his off game mode, he can't produce shit, still very young player
but you'd hope he could be more steady producer already.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Have you actually watched even a single Pats game in your entire life?

your point is? - cannot see anything from highlights yes?, what about interviews after the game, no?,
pointless they are, what about reading game previews, or game reviews from people, who have seen
those game, no?..one haves to always watch games to make an actual opinion, right?

watching highlights, other stuff gives you enough, doesn't give you absolutely everything
sure, but isn't those advanced stats for that? ;)

it does give you enough to make your opinion(s) (if you understand enough about hockey
and if you can read people)

• Haha
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
your point is? - cannot see anything from highlights yes?, what about interviews after the game, no?,
pointless they are, what about reading game previews, or game reviews from people, who have seen
those game, no?..one haves to always watch games to make an actual opinion, right?

watching highlights, other stuff gives you enough, doesn't give you absolutely everything

it does give you enough to make your opinion(s) (if you understand enough about hockey
Stick to being our resident stats updater and don’t talk about guys being “off their game” when for all you know he hit 17 posts.

Reactions: ponder and Bubbles

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke

I'll help you out here.

Tanner Howe is a winger, occasionally plays centre, who combines a good work ethic with a one-timer and decent hands. He can read the play well but isn't regularly a creative showstopper, and he's an okay skater at best who doesn't explode with his first few strides nor have elite mobility sideways or crossovers to elevate his skill set. He's still a complimentary WHLer at the moment and has yet to show the ability he can lead a team offensively.

The production you are seeing with Howe is perfectly in line with who he is as a player today. It has nothing to do with lack of heart or effort, it's not his fault you saw a few isolated plays, read a few stat sheets and put him on a pedestal he never earned. He's a good player and he should get first round consideration next year.

By all means, you are allowed to your opinion, hell you would be allowed opine on any player's ability just by how much or little you like their names if you wish, just don't admit to being underinformed at best and be too offended if someone doesn't take you seriously.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominance

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I posted this in the Bedard thread but thought it deserved to be posted in here too.

I did a small deep dive into Tanner Howe's goals and how many Bedard has contributed - then Howe's production with Bedard out of the lineup.

Okay so I'll start with the games Howe played without Bedard in the lineup. So Bedard missed 11 games due to the WJC, He missed the games from December 9th against Prince Albert to January 6th against Seattle. Yes it is a small sample size but it is large enough to start to ponder.

In those 11 games Howe played, he had 3 goals and 5 assists for 8 points for points per game of .72 while Bedard was away at the World Juniors. - the games Bedard are in the lineup Howe's PPG is 1.36 for comparisons sake. Small sample but noteworthy.

Howes goals per game this season is around .52 - while Bedard was out of the lineup at the WJC this number dropped to .27 - again small sample size, but it's something.

Howe has 34 goals this season, and of those 34 goals Bedard has assisted on 18 of them, then has not produced an assist on 16 of them. so this means that Bedard has contributed an assist on 53% of Howes goals.

But wait - 3 of those goals were scored while Bedard was out at the WJC - so in reality, while Bedard is in the lineup, Howe has scored 31 goals, 18 of those assisted by Bedard, 13 of them not.
So while Bedard is in the lineup with Howe - Howe's goals are assisted by Bedard 58% of the time.

In conclusion, Howes numbers look much better with Bedard than without him, and from what the numbers say - Bedard has been a large component of Howe's success this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mercedes Benn

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I posted this in the Bedard thread but thought it deserved to be posted in here too.

I did a small deep dive into Tanner Howe's goals and how many Bedard has contributed - then Howe's production with Bedard out of the lineup.

Okay so I'll start with the games Howe played without Bedard in the lineup. So Bedard missed 11 games due to the WJC, He missed the games from December 9th against Prince Albert to January 6th against Seattle. Yes it is a small sample size but it is large enough to start to ponder.

In those 11 games Howe played, he had 3 goals and 5 assists for 8 points for points per game of .72 while Bedard was away at the World Juniors. - the games Bedard are in the lineup Howe's PPG is 1.36 for comparisons sake. Small sample but noteworthy.

Howes goals per game this season is around .52 - while Bedard was out of the lineup at the WJC this number dropped to .27 - again small sample size, but it's something.

Howe has 34 goals this season, and of those 34 goals Bedard has assisted on 18 of them, then has not produced an assist on 16 of them. so this means that Bedard has contributed an assist on 53% of Howes goals.

But wait - 3 of those goals were scored while Bedard was out at the WJC - so in reality, while Bedard is in the lineup, Howe has scored 31 goals, 18 of those assisted by Bedard, 13 of them not.
So while Bedard is in the lineup with Howe - Howe's goals are assisted by Bedard 58% of the time.

In conclusion, Howes numbers look much better with Bedard than without him, and from what the numbers say - Bedard has been a large component of Howe's success this year.
Thanks.

I'll reply about him here rather than that thread.

I like Howe's play away from Bedard even if the numbers don't match. He seems much more noticeable and controls shifts when he isn't deferring to Bedard, he seems to be much more buzzsaw. Maybe that's just because I'm not laser focused on his linemates though.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad