F Tij Iginla - Kelowna Rockets, WHL (2024 NHL Draft)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
How often does the 3rd best winger prospect in a draft go top 10? Just curious
2nd best. Pretty often. Just last year Carlsson, Michkov and Leonard. Carlsson might end up a center. Still two. The year before that had Slafkovsky, Gauthier and Savoie. Gauthier may end up a center, but not if Carlsson does. Call it 2.5 per draft the last two drafts. The year before that it was Eklund, Johnson and Guenther. Three. The year before that it was Lafreniere, Raymond, Holtz, Quinn and Perfetti. So five.

So, I’d say there’s usually about three.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
For those that like him as a top 5 or 10 player, which of these players do you have below him?

Celebrini
Demidov
Catton
Lindstrom
Levshunov
Yakemchuk
Dickinson
Silayev
Buium
Parekh
Helenius
Eiserman
Add Iginla and it’s a pretty good list that you can almost sort in just about any order after Celebrini. I’ve not landed on a ranking but I like to do mocks and sometimes I have him at 5, other times 13 so not sure how to answer your question.

GMs will like his make up, especially his recent playoff run and that’s he doing it all at 17. So I’ll exclude defensemen and say he’s in the mix with a few of those guys for 3rd best forward after Celebrini and Demidov.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
For those that like him as a top 5 or 10 player, which of these players do you have below him?

Celebrini
Demidov
Catton
Lindstrom
Levshunov
Yakemchuk
Dickinson
Silayev
Buium
Parekh
Helenius
Eiserman

Eiserman has no chance of going ahead of Iginla.

I'd also be surprised if Catton goes ahead of Iginla as good as he is.

I'd have both below and also Parekh and Helenius below.

I'm also not super high on Dickinson, Levshunov, or Silayev, so I might take Iginla over them. That would put him about 6th on my list.

I don't think there's any world in which you can argue Catton, Helenius, Buium, and Eiserman over Iginla.

The others I can see arguments going either way.

There are certainly powerful arguments both ways between Buium and Iginla.

50 pts as a draft eligible D in the NCAA is one hell of an argument. If a team sees Buium as a top pair guy they could easily take that over a scoring wing.

Buium's size is often held against him but he's the same size as Iginla, and to me they look to have similarly strong builds.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
There are certainly powerful arguments both ways between Buium and Iginla.

50 pts as a draft eligible D in the NCAA is one hell of an argument. If a team sees Buium as a top pair guy they could easily take that over a scoring wing.

Buium's size is often held against him but he's the same size as Iginla, and to me they look to have similarly strong builds.
Regarding size, it's much more important for a defenseman than it is a forward. Obviously guys like Makar, Hughes, and Fox make it work, but they possess elite attributes that Buium doesn't.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

Celebrini
Demidov
Catton
Lindstrom
Levshunov
Yakemchuk
Dickinson
Silayev
Buium
Parekh
Helenius
Eiserman
I have Iginla 11-12, but I would easily draft him over Eiserman and I believe there are a lot of GMs who has Iginla over Eiserman on their draft list. And I believe some of them can prefer him over Yakemchuk and even Parekh because of his high floor and low floor of those defensemen.
Helenius? If gm don't believe that Helenius is too 6 center then Iginla looks better as potential top 6 winger.
But I understand your position with legislation whi has lack of high end hockey iq , bad positionaly in D zone, making a lot of things that will never work in nhl etc. He has sone flaws. But again, other players are not perfect too (top5-7 for Iginla is waaay too high on mt taste) and combo of skill/physical/shooting/forechecking can be and should be very attractive for some gms.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Regarding size, it's much more important for a defenseman than it is a forward. Obviously guys like Makar, Hughes, and Fox make it work, but they possess elite attributes that Buium doesn't.

Fox? Buium is a better skater than Fox. Fox doesn't have any elite attributes other than his processing ability, which is the same calling card as Buium.

There's actually several top pair D that are around 6'0 like Dunn, Weegar, and Morrissey. Yeah Buium doesn't have Makar and Hughes type skill but neither do all the other top pairing D out there. That's the wrong point of reference for Buium.

But I understand your position with legislation whi has lack of high end hockey iq , bad positionaly in D zone, making a lot of things that will never work in nhl etc. He has sone flaws. But again, other players are not perfect too (top5-7 for Iginla is waaay too high on mt taste) and combo of skill/physical/shooting/forechecking can be and should be very attractive for some gms.

I don't see any hockey sense issue for Iginla, and his tendency for overpursuit on the backcheck (which is where his D zone issue came from) is easily corrected. His advanced motor and good overall hockey sense, good strength on the puck, should make him a solid defensive forward with a little more training. He's not one of these guys that you have push to make them play defense, which along with overall sense is the most important thing for me to see defensively at this age.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I don't see any hockey sense issue for Iginla, and his tendency for overpursuit on the backcheck (which is where his D zone issue came from) is easily corrected. His advanced motor and good overall hockey sense, good strength on the puck, should make him a solid defensive forward with a little more training. He's not one of these guys that you have push to make them play defense, which along with overall sense is the most important thing for me to see defensively at this age.
Its not all that true. He is losing his zone in D, often he is moving to the partners space where he is blocking his partners by that move, often he is losing his guy in d zone and doesn't monitoring around. You mentioned backcheck too. On my eye he positioned himself on the wrong distance or play passive where he could be aggressive, because when he is doing right, he is very effective in defensive gorecheck. His skating and speed isn't very good, its not bad, but I would call it average or little above average.
Overall I don't see any real problem with him, everything is coachable, he made huge step forward and looks like a player who can make another steps forward. So I don't see any problem to draft him high. Of course I would not draft him over Celebrini, Demidov and Lindstrom but other forwards don't have really better attributes that separate them from Iginla.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
I have Iginla 11-12, but I would easily draft him over Eiserman and I believe there are a lot of GMs who has Iginla over Eiserman on their draft list. And I believe some of them can prefer him over Yakemchuk and even Parekh because of his high floor and low floor of those defensemen.
Helenius? If gm don't believe that Helenius is too 6 center then Iginla looks better as potential top 6 winger.
Every year there are players that rise. And when they are selected, the names of those who shuffle down just become fact. Right or wrong.

If a team thinks Tij can become a Matthew Tkachuk or Scheifele then they will take him despite how many Juoelevis, Puljujarvis and PMDs who are perceived to be ranked higher.

I’m not saying it’s right or that it necessarily will happen or that Tkachuk is the perfect comparable. But GMs are going to value the bloodlines and noteworthy developmental season. And that he is lighting it up in the WHL playoffs indicates he plays in the big moments.

Then again, this draft seems absolutely stacked. So of course I get your point 😀👍

Reactions: Guadana

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Every year there are players that rise. And when they are selected, the names of those who shuffle down just become fact. Right or wrong.

If a team thinks Tij can become a Matthew Tkachuk or Scheifele then they will take him despite how many Juoelevis, Puljujarvis and PMDs who are perceived to be ranked higher.

I’m not saying it’s right or that it necessarily will happen or that Tkachuk is the perfect comparable. But GMs are going to value the bloodlines and noteworthy developmental season. And that he is lighting it up in the WHL playoffs indicates he plays in the big moments.

Then again, this draft seems absolutely stacked. So of course I get your point 😀👍
Like I said I see only three forwards who are visually better - Celebrini, Demidov and Lindstrom. We can argue about other, but there are no real big separation arguments for Nygard or Chernyshov or Helenius etc. So I can easily see him as 4th forward on this draft. I just understand that a lot of teams will like and will draft big mobile defensemen over average sized winger. This is just what it is in NHL. And there are many teams in the bottom of the draft who hardly needs in defensemen or centers, reason why I see Iginla lower than 5-7 spot.

But I really like him. Overall its a very good first round or at least top 20 of the draft. I don't understand all of those "weak draft" comments from journalists. Of course it doesn't look like 2023 but most of the years are not 2023.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I watched this video, a small sample size, his passing ability looks average at best to me

I'd say that is accurate.

I'm optimistic though that he'll improve it. He's taken a big step recently and needs time to catch up a lot of his abilities. And he has this advanced ability to shield the puck and buy time to look for plays, often those guys become better playmakers because they can be so patient.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Rantanen went 10th in 2015. M. tkachuk went 6th in 2016. Both 3rd wingers taken.
Do you think Iginla is as good a prospect as Tkachuk or Rantanen were?

2nd best. Pretty often. Just last year Carlsson, Michkov and Leonard. Carlsson might end up a center. Still two. The year before that had Slafkovsky, Gauthier and Savoie. Gauthier may end up a center, but not if Carlsson does. Call it 2.5 per draft the last two drafts. The year before that it was Eklund, Johnson and Guenther. Three. The year before that it was Lafreniere, Raymond, Holtz, Quinn and Perfetti. So five.

So, I’d say there’s usually about three.
He’s not the 2nd best forward and more often than not there’s 2 wingers at most in the top 10 and they’re all better prospects than Tij is. Carlsson was not drafted as a winger, neither was Perfetti. Tij is a winger prospect through and through. His profile as a center would be top 10 worthy.

rt

May 13, 2004
He’s not the 2nd best forward and more often than not there’s 2 wingers at most in the top 10 and they’re all better prospects than Tij is. Carlsson was not drafted as a winger, neither was Perfetti. Tij is a winger prospect through and through. His profile as a center would be top 10 worthy.
You said winger. He’s the 2nd best winger. There are usually three wingers in the top ten. There are always at least two. Carlsson played every single game of his draft year on the wing.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
You said winger. He’s the 2nd best winger. There are usually three wingers in the top ten. There are always at least two. Carlsson played every single game of his draft year on the wing.
I do not think you will find a single pre-draft reference of Carlsson projecting as a winger. He was drafted as a center and should be considered as such in your analysis.

rt

May 13, 2004
I do not think you will find a single pre-draft reference of Carlsson projecting as a winger. He was drafted as a center and should be considered as such in your analysis.
He played literally every game as a winger in his draft year. And he’s playing as a winger in the NHL.

And it doesn’t matter. Because one guy doesn’t change the fact that 2-3 wingers go in the top ten of every draft. And Iginla is looking like the 2nd best winger in this class. He’s probably going top ten.

The other guy made the assertion that it’s rare for 3 wingers to go top ten. It’s not rare.

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
First of all - I dont have Iginla as my top ten. For the second - im not a biggest fan of WHL because of lack of structure and lack of physical game. But still because how productive Iginla is, especially in play off, how good his skills combo is - hands, shot, physical game - it makes him pretty good for being drafted as top ten. Especially if we will compare him with other players from other WHL drafts from top ten.
Lack of structure and physical play relative to which leagues?

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
Iginla, Eiserman, and to a lesser extent Dickinson are all extremely young for this draft. Iginla and Dickinson seem the most likely to rise because of this.

People give too much credence to 2-3 month age gaps, but an August birthday will definitely help his draft stock.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
The fact people are trying to push Iginla>Demidov, Catton and Lindstrom is criminal. Classic case of a player way overrated by his name. Guarantee 99% of people pushing him have never actually watched a full game of all 3.

Criminal is it? :laugh:

Demidov sure but Catton and Lindstrom have plenty of question marks themselves.

Reactions: forever1922

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
A lot of criminals on the prospect boards lately, but where would we be without the polarizing statements?

Criminal is it? :laugh:

Demidov sure but Catton and Lindstrom have plenty of question marks themselves.
I think if you looked at it hard enough you could even argue Demidov has question marks. To most, he looks like as sure of a thing as Iginla, just with higher ceiling.

I don't know if this consensus still remains or has Iginla leaped over Catton as consensus 4th forward? Or even 3rd above Lindstrom?

Celebrini
Demidov
Lindstrom
Catton
Iginla

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I think if you looked at it hard enough you could even argue Demidov has question marks. To most, he looks like as sure of a thing as Iginla, just with higher ceiling.

I don't know if this consensus still remains or has Iginla leaped over Catton as consensus 4th forward? Or even 3rd above Lindstrom?

Celebrini
Demidov
Lindstrom
Catton
Iginla

You probably could but I think it's still as you put it here.

Celebrini is the full package. Very polished for a draft eligible player. Projects to me as a goal scoring 200ft franchise C.
Demidov is the natural talent. Russian who can just be flat out better than the competition. It's true the competition he's faced is maybe not a particularly high standard but this player's offensive IQ looks best in class to me.
Lindstrom I personally would have 5th here, but I get what people like about him. ++shot and very physical with being a good skater with size. The thing about a great shot in junior is you get much less time and space at the pro level. Injuries for a PWF at this age are a red flag.
Catton I like. Great IQ, plays with great pace. Off the puck I don't think he's that great but that can be fixed. People like his one on one skill but honestly that's not as big a factor at the next level as we want it to be. NHL defenders just don't get beat purely by hands very often.
Iginla has a good mix of all these attributes. I like the way he invites contact and makes plays. Great net drive. I believe after Celebrini he has the best floor of the fwds.

Reactions: Takurcitee

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
He played literally every game as a winger in his draft year. And he’s playing as a winger in the NHL.
Carlsson has been playing as 1C all year and was never looked at as a winger. He only played there because his SHL team forced him to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad