F Trevor Connelly - Tri-City Storm, USHL (2024 Draft)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I would take a hard under on the bolded. Connelly obviously will and 1 or 2 more might sneak in the later rounds. Very possible it's only Connelly.

We mentioned Simpson earlier in the thread. He's the most talented player Connelly's played with all year and it's only been 2 games and he's an '07. Also they have 2 draft picks on the roster unless I'm missing something. Zhigalov is terrible and was rightfully sent to the NAHL. Keohane I don't really remember, but don't remember him being good or else he would have stuck.

I actually like Tri City's team as a whole though and think they could make some noise in the playoffs. They have a first line that's currently buzzing, I like their defense top to bottom and think Korpi is good in net. As a whole though, they don't have the most talented forward group compared to other USHL teams in terms of high end talent. Also Tri City's head coach Noreen is taking over Miami FWIW.

Chicago is bad, I agree with that. Too easy to play against. But Hage took off once he was put with Major and Thompson who are good USHL players despite not having next level potential. Connelly hasn't had that type of linemate support. Same thing with Gridin who's played largely with Joe Connor and Swanson who plays on a team that always has the puck.

Not trying to take anything away from those other guys, they've all had good years and deserve the praise they've gotten. Just watching Connelly, I feel the gap between him and his linemates has been noticeable.
Connelly has been easily one of the best players in the USHL. I just believe that Tri-City has a lot of good hockey players or maybe I should say players with good potential. Talent-wise, I like what they have better than all three of those other teams, but talent doesn't always dictate to what works best in winning junior games. I think they are probably the best in the USHL right now at bringing in players who have NHL Draft potential. Muskegon and Chicago aren't as deep as they usually are, and Fargo has a very good team but a workmanlike, older, grittier, defensive team. Which type of situation is easiest to play in and most impressive to put up those numbers in? You could argue either way, and other than Hage the other three have been rotating who has what statistical lead at what time.

All four of those players have had big seasons, but I think all four have questions too. For Connelly it's does his mind move as fast as his feet. Hage I feel it's similar, but not as skilled or fast and a center as opposed to winger. Swanson has size and skating questions. Gridin has compete level and skating questions, and then the track record of Russian wingers in NA against him. I suspect we'll see Hage/Connelly go 1-2 in some order, Gridin 3rd, and Swanson 4th. But I could see them being ordered in any way 10 years from now. The USHL has a lot of good players this year, but they all have flaws.

Last edited:
Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Connelly has been easily one of the best players in the USHL. I just believe that Tri-City has a lot of good hockey players or maybe I should say players with good potential. Talent-wise, I like what they have better than all three of those other teams, but talent doesn't always dictate to what works best in winning junior games. I think they are probably the best in the USHL right now at bringing in players who have NHL Draft potential. Muskegon and Chicago aren't as deep as they usually are, and Fargo has a very good team but a workmanlike, older, grittier, defensive team. Which type of situation is easiest to play in and most impressive to put up those numbers in? You could argue either way, and other than Hage the other three have been rotating who has what statistical lead at what time.

All four of those players have had big seasons, but I think all four have questions too. For Connelly it's does his mind move as fast as his feet. Hage I feel it's similar, but not as skilled or fast and a center as opposed to winger. Swanson has size and skating questions. Gridin has compete level and skating questions, and then the track record of Russian wingers in NA against him. I suspect we'll see Hage/Connelly go 1-2, Gridin 3rd, and Swanson 4th. But I could see them being ordered in any way 10 years from now. The USHL has a lot of good players this year, but they all have flaws.
Agree to disagree on that. I'd prefer Fargo's or Muskegon's supporting group, but that's just me. To win games or put up numbers. On one hand though you could say it works for Connelly's style for him to be the go to guy.

Yeah good year for the USHL. If it weren't for the off ice stuff, I think we'd see Connelly as the clear best of this group, but alas. I'm not 100% sure Hage is a center. I'd also add Boisvert and Mustard to that group.

Last edited:

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
Speculation on teams that definitely won’t draft him? Arizona and Boston come to mind after the Mitchell Miller debacle, and Montreal after the Logan Mailloux draft backlash. Any teams or GMs out there who have any type of history of taking chances on kids with character red flags?
It's tough because you already have the vultures circling him, like Strang was minimizing the hazing aspect and even trying to use it to attack a young kid. Really you'd need to find a team that would defend him from hit pieces and promote his growth and overcome his challenges.

This is unique because while there were guys with far more red flags, there's not the PR angle.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

Thought this was worth sharing. Big news if true. I would expect him to tear apart the U18s as he did the hlinka and wja's. Possibly some positive spotlight for Connelly to end the season.

Pretty big boost for USA which definitely could use a top six boost into their lineup.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Pretty big boost for USA which definitely could use a top six boost into their lineup.
Assuming this actually happens, I'd guess they'd run a line of Eiserman-Bednarik-Connelly. We briefly saw Connelly and Eiserman together at the prospect game. I'm sure most evaluators have largely made up their minds on these two, but I think it would be interesting to see how they would fare on the same team / possibly line.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I'd guess they'd run a line of Eiserman-Bednarik-Connelly.
This might be the easiest thing for an announcer in history...

"[Player on this line] picks up the loose puck...skates it out of the zone...makes a move around one player...comes in and shoots a long wrist shot..."

Just have that recorded and ready to go, then go back to live with "scores!" or "saved by..."

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
This might be the easiest thing for an announcer in history...

"[Player on this line] picks up the loose puck...skates it out of the zone...makes a move around one player...comes in and shoots a long wrist shot..."

Just have that recorded and ready to go, then go back to live with "scores!" or "saved by..."
Yeah.. pretty much. It would be interesting to watch. I could see it working - Connelly's more of a puck carrier where Eiserman and Bednarik aren't so much. But could also be a disaster with constant turnovers.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I could see him being used on the third line. Connelly is more of a handler/skater, Eiserman is a shooter, and Bednarik is a little details two way guy. Humphreys or Plante on that line works better in setting up Eiserman. Connelly isn’t a bad playmaker, but not as natural as those two. Canada will probably have some first rounders on their third line. I don’t see why we can’t.

We might see Eiserman and Hagens together now though if they want to put Connelly on the second line. I think the main reason they’ve split them up is they don’t think there’s enough scoring elsewhere to have them on the same line.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I’m sure he’s a great kid, just got randomly attacked by a reporter. Would gladly leave him alone with my 7 year old nephew.

side note: Also tired of Westhead, stop reporting on these weird stories. I’d rather read about Bedard and nice things. Sheesh.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
My review of what I've watched from him this season. Has 21+33=54 points in 38 games (second in the league per game).
I don’t think his poor decision making at times has to do with his ability to see and understand the ice but rather his selfishness, unfortunately. I saw this kid grow up and I’ll just say there is a reason he was bouncing from team to team.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don’t think his poor decision making at times has to do with his ability to see and understand the ice but rather his selfishness, unfortunately. I saw this kid grow up and I’ll just say there is a reason he was bouncing from team to team.
Would you say that apple hasn't fallen far from the tree? I've usually, but not alway, found that troubled kids usually come from troubled homes.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
More like background checks.
Honestly, combine interviews are probably way more important. Because NHL teams to this day will let anything go as long as it comes with a good enough excuse.

I’m sure he’s a great kid, just got randomly attacked by a reporter. Would gladly leave him alone with my 7 year old nephew.

side note: Also tired of Westhead, stop reporting on these weird stories. I’d rather read about Bedard and nice things. Sheesh.
Sounds like you’re part of the problem.

Can’t comment on that because I don’t know. But what I do know is that the best players on youth teams tend to develop a selfishness because their teammates can’t keep up. There are tons of examples of players who were able to adapt when they moved up to pro and into the NHL. Tim Stutzle is one example.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Honestly, combine interviews are probably way more important. Because NHL teams to this day will let anything go as long as it comes with a good enough excuse.

Sounds like you’re part of the problem.

Can’t comment on that because I don’t know. But what I do know is that the best players on youth teams tend to develop a selfishness because their teammates can’t keep up. There are tons of examples of players who were able to adapt when they moved up to pro and into the NHL. Tim Stutzle is one example.
In fairness, I totally agree he could mature and change. His teams were loaded with talent growing up so he could have been less selfish and I agree that will change. The broader issue for me was his mentality that he is better than others and treated people poorly, including pissing in a new teammates hockey bag when he just moved across country to join the team. Dad is very intense but I never thought of him as a bad guy.

I’m rooting for him and very hopeful that he will learn from these mistakes and mature to be an excellent player.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Would you say that apple hasn't fallen far from the tree? I've usually, but not alway, found that troubled kids usually come from troubled homes.
It’s hard to know what is going on behind doors but I don’t think that’s the issue. Dad is pretty intense

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I feel a little bad for his team. Not blaming him, but that’s tough to lose your best player before the playoffs for him to play for another team in some international tournament.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Trying to think the last time an American USHL skater went before the first NTDP selection. Seems possible with Connelly surging and Eiserman potentially sliding.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad