Player Discussion Filip Hronek - Pt. 2

ProviesGhost

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver
I like him, but his stick is too curved IMO. The puck handling mistakes I’ve seen him make are due to that hook on his stick.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
I don’t get the hate from arttk and them, we should be very happy we have Hronek.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Seravelli was on S&P and talked about how the Hronek trade went down. Basically, Canucks called at some point in the season asking for Hronek and Detroit said no. Then closer to the trade deadline, Detroit called Vancouver asking if they were still interested, Canucks said yes. Detroit then offered a "Say Yes Now" deal where the Canucks have to say yes to the deal NOW, otherwise Hronek would be shopped to other teams. It sounds like there was never a counter offer made except for time to talk to the staff (the horror... :sarcasm:).

~17:00:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Still find it mystifying why Tocchet has stuck with that Hronek-Hughes pairing. Hronek's offense is almost nullified playing with a guy like Hughes, who has the puck most of the time.

The best partner for Hughes is a 'Chris Tanev'' type, who's good on puck retrievals and can get the puck to Hughes in space.

Hronek needs to anchor pairing and hopefully provide some offense paired with another 'stay-at-home d-man.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He’s playing 25 minutes/game, has 3 ES points in 4 games, and we’re outscoring the opposition 7-1 with him on the ice.

He’s been terrific, one of the team’s best players so far.

What's Myers' numbers? 18 minutes/game, has 2 ES points in 4 games, and we're outscoring the opposition 5-3 with him on the ice (5-1 even strength)? :sarcasm:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hronek was on pace for 50 points before he got hurt last season. And when you factor in Hughes PPG pace, there aren't very teams in the league that can project two d-men scoring 130 points between them.

But you can also see at times why the Wings deemed him expendable. Yzerman likes his big d-men, and Hronek sometimes struggles in his own zone when subjected to a hard forecheck.

But then just about every d-man who's played for the Canucks over the past three seasons has struggled with the other team's forecheck. So the issue is probably too many battles lost along the wall and poor defensive awareness by the forwards.

Reactions: BimJenning

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
He's been good, but somewhat caveat emptor he's been playing with Hughes, who is otherwordly. Ideally, he's obviously anchoring his own pair, but due to depth issues that doesn't seem to be on the table right now.

Reactions: canucksfan

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Could Fabbro play with Quinn?

Hrojek and Cole is a solid middle pairing

Soucy can hold Myers hand on the bottom pair.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
He’s playing 25 minutes/game, has 3 ES points in 4 games, and we’re outscoring the opposition 7-1 with him on the ice.

He’s been terrific, one of the team’s best players so far.
He’s also playing with one of the best defensemen in the NHL. I am more interested to see his results while anchoring the second pair rather than riding shotgun to Quinn Hughes who is very clearly stirring the drink on that pair.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I mean he’s been paired with Hughes so I think all his stats will be inflated. I’d like to see him anchor a 2nd pairing with Cole or Soucy instead to truly judge his value but Tocchet’s LD/RD obsession won’t allow for that.

Hughes made Luke Schenn look like a decent top 4 dman.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
Still find it mystifying why Tocchet has stuck with that Hronek-Hughes pairing. Hronek's offense is almost nullified playing with a guy like Hughes, who has the puck most of the time.

The best partner for Hughes is a 'Chris Tanev'' type, who's good on puck retrievals and can get the puck to Hughes in space.

Hronek needs to anchor pairing and hopefully provide some offense paired with another 'stay-at-home d-man.
Because they aren’t allowing goals?

I like Hughes having a real partner. The team is gonna suck either way. Having Hughes half crippled by a garbage partner, 1 bad pairing, and one AHL quality pairing isn’t going to be better.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Because they aren’t allowing goals?

I like Hughes having a real partner. The team is gonna suck either way. Having Hughes half crippled by a garbage partner, 1 bad pairing, and one AHL quality pairing isn’t going to be better.
Maybe the Hronek-Hughes pairing isn't getting scored on, but you can't play them 35 minutes a night. And after that pairing, the Canuck blueline basically falls off a cliff.

Cole and Soucy have been underwhelming so far, and Myers drags every pairing down like a lead weight. While Juulsen and Friedman are barely hanging on to NHL jobs.

They need Hronek to anchor a decent second pairing.

Reactions: BimJenning

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
Maybe the Hronek-Hughes pairing isn't getting scored on, but you can't play them 35 minutes a night. And after that pairing, the Canuck blueline basically falls off a cliff.

Cole and Soucy have been underwhelming so far, and Myers drags every pairing down like a lead weight. While Juulsen and Friedman are barely hanging on to NHL jobs.

They need Hronek to anchor a decent second pairing.
No.

We went through this for tears with the sedins. I don’t want to see our stars playing with scrubs.

I’m f***ing sick of it and the team sucks either way.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
He's been somewhat underwhelming and not nearly as good as what many were saying he'd be for the price they paid for him.

He's looked weakest in his own zone and stronger in the transition and Ozone. Which isn't really what the Canucks needed.
Weaker than Juulsen and Myers in his own zone?

IMO, so far, I have the defensive play ranked like this for our defense=

1. Cole
2. Hughes

(slight gap)

3. Hronek
4. Soucy

(huge gap)

5. Juulsen
6. Myers

I don't think we've seen the best of Hronek yet

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
Weaker than Juulsen and Myers in his own zone?

IMO, so far, I have the defensive play ranked like this for our defense=

1. Cole
2. Hughes

(slight gap)

3. Hronek
4. Soucy

(huge gap)

5. Juulsen
6. Myers

I don't think we've seen the best of Hronek yet
I was only referring to Hronek. Wasn't comparing him to any of the other D.

His Defensive zone IQ worries me a bit...

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
IMG_3770.jpeg

Need the Canucks to make the playoffs so I can sell of my Hronek collection to one of those rich spoiled Vancouver kids!

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
if hronek can continue to be a true complement to hughes that allows them to absolutely tilt the ice when needed, while anchoring second pair minutes when matchups are less favorable, that is about as ideal as any of us could hope for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad