WC: Finland Roster 2024 U18 World Championship

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
MiG-64 = just what the doctor ordered!

Now let's have some surprises in the NHL-playoffs: e g Florida's Finns to Prague please :)

Reactions: mattihp

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
MG has always been amazing for the national team, no matter how his season went in North America. He rarely declines as well, excited to see him again.
He is the opposite of Ristolainen. He is now experiencing his second spring with the Sharks. He played a strong season and will play for Leijonat with a lot of self-confidence. I'm glad he's there. Always a pleasure to watch him.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Miettinen, Muhonen, Soini not selected big surprise omissions
Miettinen has played in WHL playoffs whole time when Finland has prepared to U18 WJC's.
Everett Silvertips ( Miettinen's WHL team ) lost game 4 vs Portland Winterhawks saturday morning.

If Miettinen is healthy and Finland won't activate full roster immediately
he can still come and join in the team lets see what happens next 2-3 days
there's lots of time to get Miettinen before next Thursday's Latvia game so No panic.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Miettinen has played in WHL playoffs whole time when Finland has prepared to U18 WJC's.
Everett Silvertips ( Miettinen's WHL team ) lost game 4 vs Portland Winterhawks saturday morning.

If Miettinen is healthy and Finland won't activate full roster immediately
he can still come and join in the team lets see what happens next 2-3 days
there's lots of time to get Miettinen before next Thursday's Latvia game so No panic.
Is the roster size 25 players for tournament? or 23,24? Currently Finns have 24.
Jesper Kotajarvi? is he on the u17 or u18?
Started in U18 then dropped to U17 but didn't play games there must be injury or something

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
With Kauppinen as head coach, this tournament could turn out really bad for Finland. Hlinka team played really bad, but that team didn't have Helenius and Kiviharju. Those 2 need to play really really good if Finland wants to have a chance at gold.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Juolevi... I don't wanna see him. I hope he just can gather confidence one season in Liiga and actually put in numbers before he's even considered.
DIdn't excel anywhere in the NA and then pretty much a letdown in the SHL.
Always had potential, and was actually pretty good and skilled- or can be as well. That was never the issue with him. Crucial injuries and perhaps some other factors, perhaps mental.
But the thing is, give him time to build both body and confidence and have at least one or to good seasons behind him before he's considered for Leijonat and can handle the pressure both physically and mentally.

Laaksonen, Niku, Niemelä, Tuomisto, Ottavainen, Vilén, Robin Salo? Besides Rindell that is.
I always liked Laaksonens agility and his decent vision as a prospect.
Salo after not getting any opportunity in Islanders could perhaps be hungry to show he has something in him, one EHT to showcase his current level would've been interesting to follow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Czechboy

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Is the roster size 25 players for tournament? or 23,24? Currently Finns have 24.

Started in U18 then dropped to U17 but didn't play games there must be injury or something
I don't remember how many players teams can take.
If / when Miettinen comes someone will drop but who? lets wait and see what happens.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
No need to worry, Finland wins the gold medal. Because i have tickets to the gold medal game. 2016 U20 Worlds, i was there and Finland won gold in overtime. 2022 Mens Worlds, i was there and again Finland won gold..... in overtime. No two without a third, Finland wins U18 World championship in overtime.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
How you guys feeling about your roster? Medal contender? Gold contender? Hoping to win a quarter?

Who knows. Very average team after Helenius, Kiviharju, Hemming, Väisänen and Koivu. If they get good goaltending and not suck on the special teams, I think they could maybe get a medal.

Reactions: FinPanda

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Who knows. Very average team after Helenius, Kiviharju, Hemming, Väisänen and Koivu. If they get good goaltending and not suck on the special teams, I think they could maybe get a medal.
How many potential first rounders?

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
How you guys feeling about your roster? Medal contender? Gold contender? Hoping to win a quarter?
I don't like talk about medals before the elimination round games ( quarterfinals etc ).
I see our team as a challenger gold favorites are USA and Canada.

How many potential first rounders?
2 Helenius and Hemming.

With Kauppinen as head coach, this tournament could turn out really bad for Finland. Hlinka team played really bad, but that team didn't have Helenius and Kiviharju. Those 2 need to play really really good if Finland wants to have a chance at gold.
Yeah.
And goaltending and defence should also be
something else than melt cheese like it was in Hlinka tournament.

Reactions: Czechboy

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Does Finland even have a better roster than Slovakia in this tournament? Not speaking of Helenius and Hemming and perhaps Kiviharju. But depth wise? I´m not sure about that. Looks pretty meh.
I wouldn't consider Finland as a medal favorite. Like others mentioned, they need good goaltending and a productive PP with their stars performing.

Compared to the US in our group and then Slovakias decent depth: Chovan, Nemec, Svrcek,Straka, Pobezal, Kupec, Haronik.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad