Finnish roster in a best-on-best an absolute favorite together with the US and Canada?

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
For me? Without a doubt. Even if Finnish prospects and hockey future in the long term are having difficulties I do wish for a best-on-best sooner than later. Heiskanen for me being more of a two-way D than offensive is just outstanding right now.
We now do not only have Saros but one of the (for me) most exciting goalies in the league in UPL.
Lindell, Välimäki and others aren't dogs*t. And I do believe a lot of people underestimate some Finnish players and their ability in accepting and handling roles in a team build. Määttä and Hakanpää are very clear examples of this for me.

4 absolute elite centers imho. Aho, Barkov and Hintz are great. Lundell is young and underrated. One of those young prospects who has the ability to produce and score if he gets the opportunity. Both his mature two-way ability like the older ones, the fact that he can play PK as well? I just don't believe people understand how well balanced of a team, at least at center position Finland could have.
Then you have Lehkonen and Maccelli who became a bit more than people perhaps thought from the beginning. Even if Laine career is on a stall right now...
Also those two guys would still not be top6 wingers for me.

Sometimes I do think people tend to forget about centers and players like, say Bergeron. Crosby was always the biggest piece in Canadas dominance and later on perhaps even McDavid and perhaps Bedard will reach the same level. Even if i hold Crosby higher than Mcdavid as a "Winner". My point was, Canada also had those Bergerons etc. Those who rarely would lose against the opponents best players on ice.
And this is why I do believe Finlands best players with Jalonen would be top three favorites for me even if Sweden, Czechs and others are just up there and Sweden considered by the majority the better nation. Could be true when looking at individual stats in the NHL but that's not what builds teams nor wins you any trophies alone.
Last but not least, just check the playoffs and you will see some successful Finnish players, especially at the center position. And they are known for their two-way game more than flashy dangling etc.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Since the roster is worse than Canada or USA will ice and there is no recent best on best information to use... I don't see how that is possible. I also find it hard to believe there could be three favourites.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
No doubt in my mind they could win a best on best. They have a potential gold generation going here. Not the Fav but definitely a reasonable Gold candidate. Good Olympic history too!

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
150 M$ - 120 in cap hits with realistic teams, advantage Sweden (15+8+3 players)

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Weird Finnish bias bs thread.

Roster quality and depth:
Canada/USA
Sweden

Finland
And that is without Russia in the mix. Otherwise something like this:
Canada/USA
Sweden

Russia

Finland

Finland has 4 maximum 5 skaters that would take a spot on team Sweden. They have like 3 skaters making the USA or Canadian roster. Laughable thread.

Canada with Finns:
Thomas-McDavid-Marner
Bedard-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Verhaege-Crosby-Point
Marchand-Barkov-Barzal

Toews-Makar
Morrisey-Dobson
Heiskanen-Pietrangelo

USA with Finns:
Tkachuk-Matthews-Tkachuk
Eichel-Hughes-Rantanen
Robertson-Barkov-Guentzel
Connor-Aho-Miller

Hughes-McAvoy
Slavin-Fox
Heiskanen-Hanifin

Sweden with Finns:
Forsberg - Pettersson - Rantanen
Bratt - Barkov - Nylander
Hintz - Eriksson Ek - Raymond
Karlsson - Aho - Kempe

Hedman - Karlsson
Brodin - Dahlin
Heiskanen - Lindholm

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Svedu

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
What's the format for that dumb NHL tournament? If it's a single round robin followed by single-game knockout, any of the four teams could win.

Me, I'm hoping for a Sweden-Finland final, which, at 0-0, goes into quadruple over time and ends with the two teams alternating icing the puck and laughing at Gary Bettman.

Reactions: ZEBROA

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I mean they play a very consistent and frustrating game but their roster on paper does not compete with USA, Canada, Sweden, or Russia if Russia is allowed.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad