First round supposed "busts" that actually had good NHL careers

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I get the feeling that Zach Bogosian and Luke Schenn may be on this list someday.

Luke Schenn is going to have a Luke Richardson career and people will give him too much credit for just being a warm body.

both ended up being otm

another guy in this vein was scott lachance, although he felt a little more busty to me. 4th overall in the lindros draft, between niedermayer at #3 and aaron ward at 5. forsberg was #6.

early on, he was behind malakhov and kasparaitis among the young guys on the islanders. by the late 90s, i hadn’t heard from him in a while and assumed he’d been passed by the new crop of young isles dmen, berard, kenny jonsson, mccabe, those guys, and was toiling in the wilderness of the minors.

then in 2000 he washed up on the canucks and for two years was the safe guy babysitting jovo. kind of like a really really really dirt poor man’s ekholm to jovo’s bouchard. and it turns out lachance had been in the nhl the whole time; he’d just been moved to montreal when the young guys came up in new york.

in the end, he played 800 games. never played a game in the minors until the very end of his career. losing the whole lockout year killed his career: with a $2 million cap hit he was bought out by the blue jackets and spent the post-lockout year in the swiss league, tried to come back the year after but didn’t make the devils and wound down his career on their farm team.

actually aaron ward maybe fits too. weirdly, it felt like he played way longer than lachance but they actually he only played 20 more games, 839 in total. won two cups as a career #5 dman.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Daigle did not have a good career. He was gifted a lot of ice time and had some moderate production as a bad team scoring, 1-way, major liability elsewhere forward. It shows a bit of laziness to go "oh 616 games, a couple 51 point seasons, not bad". He only got so much opportunities as such a highly regarded prospect. His best season was the one with Lemaire on the Wild. The Senators tenure was a complete and abject failure.

He was on one of the worst teams in NHL history thanks to one of the most punitive expansion drafts ever, having to share the spoils with Tampa Bay, and after San Jose had already pillaged the league the year before.

My memories of Daigle were of players waterskiing behind him because obstruction rules were so limited that his skating was essentially neutralized, and the best player on his team aside from Yashin was a past his prime Sylvain Turgeon.

Not surprisingly, the NHL learned from its mistake and allowed NHL clubs to protect far fewer players in subsequent NHL drafts.

He did not live up to his billing but he had as rough a ride as is possible.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I didn't know Kilger went 8th overall! This is the sort of thing I was looking for, thanks!

Edit: 4th, not 8th-wrong number I was looking at lol

I got to see a fair bit of Kilger in the nhl and I could see the raw tools that made him go so high.

Good size and strength, good skater, heavy shot.

He turned out to be a useful player, just not top 6 material. His exit from the nhl remains a mystery to me though. He got traded to Florida, and I don't think he ever played a game for them.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He was on one of the worst teams in NHL history thanks to one of the most punitive expansion drafts ever, having to share the spoils with Tampa Bay, and after San Jose had already pillaged the league the year before.

My memories of Daigle were of players waterskiing behind him because obstruction rules were so limited that his skating was essentially neutralized, and the best player on his team aside from Yashin was a past his prime Sylvain Turgeon.

Not surprisingly, the NHL learned from its mistake and allowed NHL clubs to protect far fewer players in subsequent NHL drafts.

He did not live up to his billing but he had as rough a ride as is possible.
Yashin was not much older and had a lot more success in essentially the same situation. Ottawa was a playoff team by Daigle's third season there (still not great, but no longer a 9-34-5 team) and that was the one with his 51 points. He was a -33 that season, next worst guy on the team was -14, while Alfredsson and some other guys were in the +. In Daigle's last season, Ottawa was already quite good, Daigle's ice time and production dipped, and that was when he got traded and the Sens never really looked back.

Situation was far from ideal, but I wouldn't say Daigle ever made the most of it. As far as Expansion Draft, biggest change was the Expansion Fee went way up in that time, teams had a big $$$ incentive to let a team like Vegas get good.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Scott Thornton was a third overall pick by Toronto. I have no idea why.

He was a "just there for some reason" type for a long time (entirety of the '90s) before he eventually became a solid to good third liner with the Sharks in the early 2000s.

I wouldn't say he had a "good" NHL career, but I guess he goes to show you that if a guy with perceived potential sticks around long enough, he might eventually become useful.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Glen Murray fits the bill.

Taken 18th overall by Boston in '91. Through his 1st 6 seasons he's barely a 30 point player in the early/mid 90s despite playing on the early 90s Bruins and a year and a half on the Jagr/Mario Penguins. Finds his footing in LA (3rd team in 6 years), gets dealt back to Boston in '02 and has a late career as a 40 goal/90 point guy thanks to Thornton

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Scott Thornton was a third overall pick by Toronto. I have no idea why.

He was a "just there for some reason" type for a long time (entirety of the '90s) before he eventually became a solid to good third liner with the Sharks in the early 2000s.

I wouldn't say he had a "good" NHL career, but I guess he goes to show you that if a guy with perceived potential sticks around long enough, he might eventually become useful.

I watched Thornton on the habs in the late 90s, and thought he was decent enough.

Certainly not 3rd overall material but I thought he was an asset in the bottom part of the lineup.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Ron Hainsey

#13 overall in 2000 (relatively hyped, but many had big doubts and certain the ceiling was low a bit like Komisarek), played only 32 games with MTL.

The fact a first rounder was picked on the waivers I think make it clear he was considered a bust by MTL.

End up playing 1132 regular season game in the nhl, and with no Letang he was a giant necessary piece on the 2017 cup winning team (playing 21 minutes a night, the second most).

Easier on the so-so teams he tended to be a part of, but he was often a 22 minutes top pair guy.

Which is a more perfectly fine career for a 13th, he made $42 millions in salary, better than most #10-15 draft pick.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
1st overall pick Ed Jovanovski never was a Norris finalist, constantly disappointed, didn't hit 50 points until his 12th year, in Phoenix, his third team (after my Canucks let him walk in free agency - good riddance). He was at times good but often *** defensively in Vancouver and Florida but in the end played well enough to not have a bad career but never be on the lip of greatness.

A bust for 1st overall, but 'good' for a career.
Draft him in the 4th round and all's copacetic.

The fact that he made over $70 million is almost criminal.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: DitchMarner

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Manny Malhotra for sure!

7th overall by NYR. Traded to Dallas for golf balls. Then waived at age 23. Went on to play another 10 seasons, notching 9 shy of 1000 games.

Drafted for his leadership. He always brought that. But he was a bottom-6 forward, a 4th line pivot ideally, a solid 5th round pick overdrafted 7th overall.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

He's actually.good, scoring an important goal ladt playoff game. He has nearly 700 points. Huh.

He was a 1st overall "offensive" weapon who couldn't reach 60 points his first 7 NHL seasons. "Bust" and "trade him" were on the lips of Oiler fans for years. But not now.

That 1st overall pick would have been a solid early 2nd round pick.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Thomas Hickey was a huge swing and a miss for the Kings at #4 overall in what turned out to be a pretty loaded first round, but after the Isles picked him off waivers, he had an alright career for himself, playing 9 years in the league as an okay defenseman.

I also think of a Dan Paille who was drafted to be an all-around top six forward but never reached that potential, yet developed a particular skill in penalty killing and defensive work that gave him a long and successful career as an elite fourth liner.

Any other examples of guys like Paille who were drafted and expected to be scorers but turned into checking line shutdown guys instead? Was Marty Lapointe ever expected to be a scorer when he was drafted 10 overall?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Ron Hainsey

#13 overall in 2000 (relatively hyped, but many had big doubts and certain the ceiling was low a bit like Komisarek), played only 32 games with MTL.

The fact a first rounder was picked on the waivers I think make it clear he was considered a bust by MTL.

End up playing 1132 regular season game in the nhl, and with no Letang he was a giant necessary piece on the 2017 cup winning team (playing 21 minutes a night, the second most).

Easier on the so-so teams he tended to be a part of, but he was often a 22 minutes top pair guy.

Which is a more perfectly fine career for a 13th, he made $42 millions in salary, better than most #10-15 draft pick.
Those famous "Re-Entry" Waivers that never made much sense (as it's just an incentive to keep a well-performing AHL player buried if there is a risk they may be claimed).

I'd be curious as to what the Habs roster situation on Defense was coming out of the 2005 lockout that lead them to believe Hainsey should start the year in the AHL given he was out of waiver-exempt status, to begin with. A bit odd as they used a high draft pick on him. Obviously a mistake with hindsight, as he stayed in the NHL 1,100 games without an interruption from that point on. An interesting factoid with Hainsey is he had never played in the NHL postseason prior to being a deadline acquisition of the Penguins, but stepped up in a big way with Letang out to help Pittsburgh on the second half of a back to back.

Impressive Games Played to Available Games ratio as well. Top 10 in GP from 05-06 through 19-20 with the ones above being filled with big obvious names.

Last edited:
Reactions: MadLuke

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Those famous "Re-Entry" Waivers that never made much sense (as it's just an incentive to keep a well-performing AHL player buried if there is a risk they may be claimed).

I'd be curious as to what the Habs roster situation on Defense was coming out of the 2005 lockout that lead them to believe Hainsey should start the year in the AHL given he was out of waiver-exempt status, to begin with. A bit odd as they used a high draft pick on him. Obviously a mistake with hindsight, as he stayed in the NHL 1,100 games without an interruption from that point on. An interesting factoid with Hainsey is he had never played in the NHL postseason prior to being a deadline acquisition of the Penguins, but stepped up in a big way with Letang out to help Pittsburgh on the second half of a back to back.

Impressive Games Played to Available Games ratio as well. Top 10 in GP from 05-06 through 19-20 with the ones above being filled with big obvious names.

I don't know if this factored into hainsey's exit from the Habs but I do recall some talk about his attitude.

Some people were calling him "Hollywood hainsey" at the time.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

He's actually.good, scoring an important goal ladt playoff game. He has nearly 700 points. Huh.

He was a 1st overall "offensive" weapon who couldn't reach 60 points his first 7 NHL seasons. "Bust" and "trade him" were on the lips of Oiler fans for years. But not now.

I think he just needed a better centre (or two) to slot behind.

If you look at FLA, suddenly Sam Reinhart had a career year and scored almost 60 goals and Sam Bennett is considered a gritty, valued piece.

Reinhart was part of the failed rebuild in BUF and for years Bennett was considered a disappointment in Calgary and mocked because he couldn't do pullups at the draft combine (or whatever; I don't know the exact story behind that).

Sometimes players who are drafted very high are good but not good enough to be main guys.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Would have been a really solid 6th overall pick, not that many of the 2000' 6th overall will end up with a better career:

I'd be curious as to what the Habs roster situation on Defense was coming out of the 2005 lockout that lead them to believe Hainsey should start the year in the AHL
First game that year:

Markov-Rivet-Souray-Dandenault-Bouillon-Komisarek

Prospect
O'Byrne (really big guy)
Emelin to be in Russia for a while

No one of note outside Hainsey in Hamilton I do not think.

Reactions: WarriorofTime

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Somewhat similar to Reinhart and Bennett: how about Drouin and Nichushkin?

Nuke couldn't score a goal to save his life for DAL and pretty much busted there. Now he's a core piece for COL and a great offensive and defensive player. Too bad about the addiction.

Drouin seems to have also rejuvenated his career in Colorado. He also couldn't score goals for shit with his old team, and I had personally written him off.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Seem too soon for Drouin to be unbusted, he already had better season than this in the past, on a perfect storm of a team him scoring 20g-55 pts one season in a row was already proven to be possible.

Issue was either having an higher gear or at least years-in, years out able to be a lower tier Top 6 nhler.

Last edited:

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Thomas Hickey was a huge swing and a miss for the Kings at #4 overall in what turned out to be a pretty loaded first round, but after the Isles picked him off waivers, he had an alright career for himself, playing 9 years in the league as an okay defenseman.

I also think of a Dan Paille who was drafted to be an all-around top six forward but never reached that potential, yet developed a particular skill in penalty killing and defensive work that gave him a long and successful career as an elite fourth liner.

Any other examples of guys like Paille who were drafted and expected to be scorers but turned into checking line shutdown guys instead? Was Marty Lapointe ever expected to be a scorer when he was drafted 10 overall?
Guy Carbonneau is probably the best example. Was fifth in scoring in the QMJHL in his draft year, then finished second the next season with 182 points.

Last edited:
Reactions: McGarnagle

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I get the feeling that Zach Bogosian and Luke Schenn may be on this list someday.
My gut reaction seeing the thread title was Mike Sillinger.

Funny enough in 89 when Sillinger went 11th, Stu Barnes went 4th but the term busts implies something different.

Martin Gelinas maybe who seemed to ahve busted then got a second life with the canuck and went on to ahve a decent career.

reggie Leach too was busting big time until being reunited with Bobby Clarke.

Drouin back with Mack might become one.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017

Rob Niedermayer comes to mind, I'd think he was expected to be a scorer being picked at #5. He did show some offensive promise early on but mostly was a good third liner during his career.

Hate him with a passion since the hit against Peter Forsberg in the 2004 WHC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad