Former Ducks - (2023-24 Season Edition )

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
just thought maybe you'd like a little insight into why people view you as such

You mean how people lash out at me and then blame me for them lashing out on me? Converse with facts and it stays on facts. Attack the person instead of the conversation, well then, it's not really a conversation at that point. Or they ask a question and I respond in full, but their response is to not read what I wrote and just lash out at me feels disingenuous b/c, again, it's an attack on me than on the conversation.

I actually do take the time to do the research, collect info, tabulate info, and share the info. Do posters realize how much time and work is needed for that? Do poster know I have excel tables spanning back to 2021-22 to develop a track record? Nope. People get angry with facts that they attack the person than the facts. Is feeling 1 point better than last year's group that significant of an improvement? All empirical data states no. Any layman will say no too.

If the team is to improve, then you gotta know what we're not doing well. If we're doing well, then WTF are we doing in the bottom-3 again and only 1 point better than last year. I'm not delusional, I'm factual. That's why posters are angry with my posts and attack me than the conversation.

giphy.gif

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
You mean how people lash out at me and then blame me for them lashing out on me? Converse with facts and it stays on facts. Attack the person instead of the conversation, well then, it's not really a conversation at that point. Or they ask a question and I respond in full, but their response is to not read what I wrote and just lash out at me feels disingenuous b/c, again, it's an attack on me than on the conversation.

I actually do take the time to do the research, collect info, tabulate info, and share the info. Do posters realize how much time and work is needed for that? Do poster know I have excel tables spanning back to 2021-22 to develop a track record? Nope. People get angry with facts that they attack the person than the facts. Is feeling 1 point better than last year's group that significant of an improvement? All empirical data states no. Any layman will say no too.

If the team is to improve, then you gotta know what we're not doing well. If we're doing well, then WTF are we doing in the bottom-3 again and only 1 point better than last year. I'm not delusional, I'm factual. That's why posters are angry with my posts and attack me than the conversation.

giphy.gif
I attack you because you’re arrogant, that’s why

Reactions: KelVarnsen

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho

giphy.gif
Presenting data (charts, graphs, spreadsheets) doesn't mean said presenter is correct in the opinion that presented data is supporting. Data is open to interpretation, data can be incomplete (supporting only one side of the issue), data is beholden to context. Arguing that "I did more research than you so I'm right" isn't a good argument. It just means that you did more research. The best research begins with an attempt to find the correct answer. Weaker research begins with the supposed answer and attempts to bolster pre-conceived opinion.

Firequacker

used wall of text! It's not very effective...
Jun 3, 2022
Presenting data (charts, graphs, spreadsheets) doesn't mean said presenter is correct in the opinion that presented data is supporting. Data is open to interpretation, data can be incomplete (supporting only one side of the issue), data is beholden to context. Arguing that "I did more research than you so I'm right" isn't a good argument. It just means that you did more research. The best research begins with an attempt to find the correct answer. Weaker research begins with the supposed answer and attempts to bolster pre-conceived opinion.
Spot on.
I'd add to this that the most important thing is willingness to follow the data in good faith, no matter where you started. It's definitely easier to do that without any preconceived notions. But it's pretty natural to have a starting bias on a subject you're passionate about, it doesn't mean you can't do good research, you've just got to be cognizant of it.
Getting so entrenched that you have to belittle, dismiss, or ignore any counterpoints rather than engaging with them is the real killer.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Spot on.
I'd add to this that the most important thing is willingness to follow the data in good faith, no matter where you started. It's definitely easier to do that without any preconceived notions. But it's pretty natural to have a starting bias on a subject you're passionate about, it doesn't mean you can't do good research, you've just got to be cognizant of it.
Getting so entrenched that you have to belittle, dismiss, or ignore any counterpoints rather than engaging with them is the real killer.
Civility is sometimes difficult, but always something to be strived for. I’ve been humbled enough in life to realize that I’m not always right. But that won’t stop me from having opinions and attempting to defend them-without talking down to whoever I’m disagreeing with.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
Wow. That's a thing. Attack the person and not the idea b/c you don't have anything substantial to retort with.

Good times!

giphy.gif
I don’t care about someone’s “ideas” if they’re an arrogant person. A lot of people can have great opinions and share them without being condescending, that ability seems to escape you

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I don’t care about someone’s “ideas” if they’re an arrogant person. A lot of people can have great opinions and share them without being condescending, that ability seems to escape you

I don't think you comprehend very well. I reciprocate condescension and that's where you're lacking in comprehension and are very upset. Usually logic identifies who starts shit and you missed that boat often. But thank you using yourself as yet another prime example.

Next!

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
I don't think you comprehend very well. I reciprocate condescension and that's where you're lacking in comprehension and are very upset. Usually logic identifies who starts shit and you missed that boat often. But thank you using yourself as yet another prime example.

Next!

Sure thing bud. You’re a condescending prick. Enjoy your spreadsheets and stats.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $260.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $40.00