Former Ducks - (2023-24 Season Edition )

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
He's not wrong.
I’m not so sure. Benoit is a dime a dozen player IMO and probably shouldn’t be more than a 6-7 at best. But on the flip side, the Ducks signed White, Hagg, and Harrington and I think I’d rather have Benoit this year Than them. Benoit for this year only over those guys probably would have been fine. Just no multi year contract for Benoit.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
I’m not so sure. Benoit is a dime a dozen player IMO and probably shouldn’t be more than a 6-7 at best. But on the flip side, the Ducks signed White, Hagg, and Harrington and I think I’d rather have Benoit this year Than them. Benoit for this year only over those guys probably would have been fine. Just no multi year contract for Benoit.
I think 10 years ago he was a dime a dozen player. Now his style along with his age is fairly rare to find.

Reactions: Kalv

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
I think 10 years ago he was a dime a dozen player. Now his style along with his age is fairly rare to find.
I disagree. He’s just not very good. He doesn’t skate very well. Yes he can be physical but that trait doesn’t compensate for his lack of athleticism and puke skills.

Again, I’d take him over the three terrible players we have this year but only for one year because there are more skilled players coming up.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I disagree. He’s just not very good. He doesn’t skate very well. Yes he can be physical but that trait doesn’t compensate for his lack of athleticism and puke skills.

Again, I’d take him over the three terrible players we have this year but only for one year because there are more skilled players coming up.
At least we know Gibson isn’t lacking there now…

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022

More skilled yes but there isn't a ton of physical d-man in the system that are coming up and in 3 years with Gudas and Bush probably gone, you might need a Benoit.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
You can get one in free agency every year for close to the minimum
Like who? I’d love to read your list of available hard hitting d man that were available this off season. They paid Gudas 4 million a year, if there’s a bunch of these types willing to sign for league min, why pay Gudas so much?

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
More skilled yes but there isn't a ton of physical d-man in the system that are coming up and in 3 years with Gudas and Bush probably gone, you might need a Benoit.
Warren and maybe even Hinds will take that role within a couple years. Both are more
Skilled than Benoit and Warren for sure plays just as physical as Benoit. I just don’t see a player in Benoit that is a long term NHL player. Just not a fan of his play.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Benoit wasn’t great, but anyone saying it was all 100% him and not System/roster/usage/coach isn’t allowed to say that Lindholm wasn’t the reason Lindholm wasn’t very good here at the end either. Gotta pick a side of the argument and stay with it. Lindholm being >>> Benoit as a player is irrelevant to that discussion.

Personally, I think he was significantly misused due to roster composition and coaching, has a useful sheltered bottom pairing skill set that isn’t terribly difficult to find but the replacement for wasn’t adequately addressed in free agency, recognize that we have (far)too many 6-8D on the roster who are blocking the sexy prospects, and understand why he was let go. I also respect the work he did to carve out an NHL roster spot and like to root for that type of player.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Warren and maybe even Hinds will take that role within a couple years. Both are more
Skilled than Benoit and Warren for sure plays just as physical as Benoit. I just don’t see a player in Benoit that is a long term NHL player. Just not a fan of his play.

Benoit was waived by Toronto yesterday, seems as though he didn't make much impression beyond taking a couple blatant penalties. Says a lot about the state of our blueline last year, that he goes from averaging top four minutes for us, to not making the NHL this year.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Benoit was waived by Toronto yesterday, seems as though he didn't make much impression beyond taking a couple blatant penalties. Says a lot about the state of our blueline last year, that he goes from averaging top four minutes for us, to not making the NHL this year.
Toronto also had to make the cap and I think had to drop to a 19 player roster to do so.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Toronto also had to make the cap and I think had to drop to a 19 player roster to do so.

They have 7 other D listed on their roster though - Rielly, Brodie, Klingberg, McCabe, Liljegren, Giordano, Timmins. It stands to reason that Benoit was facing an uphill battle to begin with, barring trades and/or injuries.

He'll likely still see NHL action at some point.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
He is just not a very good player and the fact he was in the Ducks top 4 shows how epically awful the D was last season. He's a good story but it seems he really is just an AHL level player who can sit in the pressbox in the NHL if needed.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
They have 7 other D listed on their roster though - Rielly, Brodie, Klingberg, McCabe, Liljegren, Giordano, Timmins. It stands to reason that Benoit was facing an uphill battle to begin with, barring trades and/or injuries.

He'll likely still see NHL action at some point.
Don't really disagree. Just suggesting they're is a bit of a unusual situation.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Comtois' lazy ass may have just played himself out of the league.

It was a long shot to begin with. Now, he did say that Vegas wasnt the only team interested, so its possible that other teams may be talking to his camp now.

Always possible he gets a 2 way deal or something. But he could also be headed over seas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad