Player Discussion Former Habs & Picks watch: Gone but not forgotten (No Current NHLers) II

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
just saw that Chris Terry is going to the KHL, would have loved to get him in Laval for 1.075M, no cost to the cap and he would put us over the top imo.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
What was the koivu hype based on?

The world juniors? His performance in the Finnish league post draft?

It was a long time ago but from what i can remember he was destroying the liiga back then as a 19 years old (he was lot more dominant offensively than JK at the same age). I was a young man back then but i don't remember overhype around Koivu before he came in NA. There was hype but i think it was proportional to his performance in Europe.

Reactions: angusyoung

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I actually watched a video of koivu in anaheim highlights yesterday and it makes me so angry we just let him go. He still had a ton in the tank.

especially since ostensibly it was for Gomez and his terrible contract that hurt the Habs more than it helped.

Reactions: Habs13

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
just saw that Chris Terry is going to the KHL, would have loved to get him in Laval for 1.075M, no cost to the cap and he would put us over the top imo.

Agreed. He was good for us in the AHL and has a good track record. I wonder if we tried to keep him after his last contract with us?

62 pts in 71 games in 17/18 but his -33 was worse on the team. Might have something to do with his 200' game. I think that might be negative value to some of the younger players where they watch him roam and not be committed to playing D. +/- can be flawed but he a career -66 over 626 games. His -17 with the Griffins last year was 3rd last on that team. Good offensive talent but seems to be a weak point in the team D formula

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Chris Terry signed in the KHL.

look 2 posts up :laugh:

Agreed. He was good for us in the AHL and has a good track record. I wonder if we tried to keep him after his last contract with us?

62 pts in 71 games in 17/18 but his -33 was worse on the team. Might have something to do with his 200' game. I think that might be negative value to some of the younger players where they watch him roam and not be committed to playing D. +/- can be flawed but he a career -66 over 626 games. His -17 with the Griffins last year was 3rd last on that team. Good offensive talent but seems to be a weak point in the team D formula

we need someone to put the puck in the net to replace Hudon, someone that can be a big time point getter. Laval has good depth but you just worry that they could struggle a bit at times to produce with the players they currently have. Granted if Weal is sent down that should help a lot as I think he would help the offense a good bit.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
look 2 posts up :laugh:

we need someone to put the puck in the net to replace Hudon, someone that can be a big time point getter. Laval has good depth but you just worry that they could struggle a bit at times to produce with the players they currently have. Granted if Weal is sent down that should help a lot as I think he would help the offense a good bit.

Yes, we can use some offense but hopefully a guy that can lead where others learn from good habits. I don't watch Laval games and not sure why the Habs could not have kept Terry. Did he want to leave, Did we want him to go or stay. :dunno:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Yes, we can use some offense but hopefully a guy that can lead where others learn from good habits. I don't watch Laval games and not sure why the Habs could not have kept Terry. Did he want to leave, Did we want him to go or stay. :dunno:

He probably wanted to leave, like most players under Sly. Also had a higher chance of playing NHL games in Detroit.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

with Bouchard he won't let the young kids get in bad habits, I so badly want to see us back in the playoffs, though i think we would have snuck in last year if not for covid but hard to say since they were so badly hit by injuries/call ups to the top 6 but kept winning games in the last few weeks.

Note to self: do some research before you post.

Note to you: Seems you weren't busy as shit for that piece of news, eh? :sarcasm:

It's the beauty of being your own boss, the problem is I should be spending that time working to make money but keep finding myself posting stuff here instead of getting paid.

tnq

Feb 16, 2004
If Koivu was a leader as Weber is, they did not let him walk for free

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Koivu, imo, could be the most overrated Habs player in history.

He played with heart & tenacity, however he was an average #2C. Not that there's anything wrong with that. He cracked 60 points only 3 times in his career. Decent numbers but definitely not a game changer by any means.

He was a better person than a player. His work in the community was invaluable and he did everything with class.

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009

He played with heart & tenacity, however he was an average #2C. Not that there's anything wrong with that. He cracked 60 points only 3 times in his career. Decent numbers but definitely not a game changer by any means.

He was a better person than a player. His work in the community was invaluable and he did everything with class.

An average 2nd line center would be someone like Philippe Danault (who's more of a very good 3rd line C).

Koivu was better than that.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

He also hit 71+ points twice. Several seasons where he paced for that or more were shortened to injuries as well.

The knee injury killed his bona fide top tier #1C potential. He was still a 1b though.

Reactions: angusyoung

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal

I'm sorry but Koivu was a game changer. He was making everybody who he played with better. When he was on the ice, he was controlling the play. Over 13 seasons with the habs, he sustained a 0,8 pt/g, pace, mostly in the dead puck era, while playing with plugs and fighting eye injury, knee injury and cancer.

He is not a Hall of Famer, but certainly not « an average #2C ». We should be very happy if Suzuki gives the Habs what Koivu gave them.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Koivu, imo, could be the most overrated Habs player in history

barf. overrated by who? The guy had over 800 points in the NHL, he was a warrior that played on some real shit teams yet come playoff time he was the man. Was banged up vs boston yet he outplayed that candyass Thorton.

Injuries plagued him as only 3 times in his career did he play 80 or more games. But look at some the teams he was on.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
barf. overrated by who? The guy had over 800 points in the NHL, he was a warrior that played on some real shit teams yet come playoff time he was the man. Was banged up vs boston yet he outplayed that candyass Thorton.

Injuries plagued him as only 3 times in his career did he play 80 or more games. But look at some the teams he was on.

He was good, but many go on like he was a game changing, completely dominant Centerman, which he wasn't. He's a warrior for sure, like I said previously, but I'd never mention his name in comparison of the top Centerman of that era.

Just my take on it, no harm no foul :)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He was good, but many go on like he was a game changing, completely dominant Centerman, which he wasn't. He's a warrior for sure, like I said previously, but I'd never mention his name in comparison of the top Centerman of that era.

Just my take on it, no harm no foul :)

hard to be dominant with many of the teams he was on, there's no way he's the most overrated Hab, he's easily one of the best players we have had in the last 20 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad