Podcast (Audio) Former Hartford Head Coach talks about how difficult it was to coach Tony DeAngelo

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Great interview. Interesting observations about Lias, Chytil, Lindgren, Georgiev, DeAngelo and Kravtsov (from seeing him in camp).

EdJovanovski

#RempeForConnSmythe
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Can anyone summarize some of the interesting points? I'm not a podcast guy. I'll give it a click for OP but it would be cool to get the main points.
The Twitter post in OP has the 2min clip of what he said. I know I'm one of the bigger Tony fans here but even being unbiased, it doesn't sound nearly as bad as the way it's worded in the thread title. Thread title is making it sound as if the guy made this coaches life hell lol, he even says in the clip that Tony was a good kid and his heart was always in the right place but he was hot-headed and would put his team in bad situations taking unsportsmanlikes & such

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Can anyone summarize some of the interesting points? I'm not a podcast guy. I'll give it a click for OP but it would be cool to get the main points.

- He sometimes went 70% in practice.
- He once yelled at a ref from the bench during a penalty kill and put the team down 5 on 3.

That's it.

This is hockey though so just those two items are front page news.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
- He once yelled at a ref from the bench during a penalty kill and put the team down 5 on 3.

That's it.

I mean there was a bit more too it than that (although I listened to the 2:14 clip).
He talks about reaching out to fomrer coaches to try and develop ways to get Tony to listen and ways to relate to him. the comment about taking the extra penalty (yelling at the ref) while already down a man talked about Tony's inability to control, or at least correctly channel himself and his 'street-fighter' personality. He references his believe that Tony needed more time putting in the hard yards in the AHL to develop some fortitude and maturity, which coach believes would have made ADA a more well rounded player than the guy we see now how can run a power play (or power plant) but maybe hasn't really got an all round game.

It seemed to tie in with everything else we've heard/read from NYR and other places. Tony is a good guy, you want to like him and 95% of the time hes fine. The issue is that the other 5% of the time he's off charts compared to most other people and so when he decides its time to go, no-one can talk him out of it and ends up making situations a lot worse, something that could be overcome with a bit more maturity and humility.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
The Twitter post in OP has the 2min clip of what he said. I know I'm one of the bigger Tony fans here but even being unbiased, it doesn't sound nearly as bad as the way it's worded in the thread title. Thread title is making it sound as if the guy made this coaches life hell lol, he even says in the clip that Tony was a good kid and his heart was always in the right place but he was hot-headed and would put his team in bad situations taking unsportsmanlikes & such
Sounds like me on the main boards

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I mean there was a bit more too it than that (although I listened to the 2:14 clip).
He talks about reaching out to fomrer coaches to try and develop ways to get Tony to listen and ways to relate to him. the comment about taking the extra penalty (yelling at the ref) while already down a man talked about Tony's inability to control, or at least correctly channel himself and his 'street-fighter' personality. He references his believe that Tony needed more time putting in the hard yards in the AHL to develop some fortitude and maturity, which coach believes would have made ADA a more well rounded player than the guy we see now how can run a power play (or power plant) but maybe hasn't really got an all round game.

It seemed to tie in with everything else we've heard/read from NYR and other places. Tony is a good guy, you want to like him and 95% of the time hes fine. The issue is that the other 5% of the time he's off charts compared to most other people and so when he decides its time to go, no-one can talk him out of it and ends up making situations a lot worse, something that could be overcome with a bit more maturity and humility.

He leads all dmen in 5v5 pts/60 since 2019 so it's a bit weird if he said he could run a powerplay but didn't have an all around game. Maybe he's not the best defensively but he's elite offensively at both 5v5 and the PP. Can't expect everyone in the league to be Hedman or Lidstrom.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
He leads all dmen in 5v5 pts/60 since 2019 so it's a bit weird if he said he could run a powerplay but didn't have an all around game. Maybe he's not the best defensively but he's elite offensively at both 5v5 and the PP. Can't expect everyone in the league to be Hedman or Lidstrom.

True. But, it's been a few years since McCambridge coached him so it also stands to reason he's talking about back when he was coaching Tony rather than now. He was prety messy at times in his own end while a Ranger, but I haven't really seen him play except for the scoring highlights in Carolina.
I wouldn't be surprised that extra time, plus a little introspection from the Rangers fiasco hastened some of that maturity he alluded to.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City

I listened to the clip as well. He says "it was tough" about twenty separate times but the only two examples provided are the comment about him going 70% in practice and the one about the ref.

Reaching out to former coaches is something that should be done as a matter of course in any professional sports organization but it should definitely be done when you're an AHL coach coaching a first round draft pick. I don't see anything unusual about that and I get the feeling if he were asked he would probably say DeAngelo isn't the only player he's done this for. My friend coaches high school baseball and reaches out to new kids' little league coaches routinely. That's not a groundbreaking thing.

As for the rest, wow an AHL coach saying a player would have benefitted from more time in the AHL. Shocking.

I have no desire to stand up for ADA because it's exhausting. What I will say is this thread headline seems designed to garner clicks which I guess is fine but if I were just listening to this pod driving home in my car there's nothing being said here about DeAngelo that would even prompt me to come post about it on here with you guys in the ADA thread.

Much ado about nothing IMO.

Reactions: egelband

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
I listened to the clip as well. He says "it was tough" about twenty separate times but the only two examples provided are the comment about him going 70% in practice and the one about the ref.

Reaching out to former coaches is something that should be done as a matter of course in any professional sports organization but it should definitely be done when you're an AHL coach coaching a first round draft pick. I don't see anything unusual about that and I get the feeling if he were asked he would probably say DeAngelo isn't the only player he's done this for. My friend coaches high school baseball and reaches out to new kids' little league coaches routinely. That's not a groundbreaking thing.

As for the rest, wow an AHL coach saying a player would have benefitted from more time in the AHL. Shocking.

I have no desire to stand up for ADA because it's exhausting. What I will say is this thread headline seems designed to garner clicks which I guess is fine but if I were just listening to this pod driving home in my car there's nothing being said here about DeAngelo that would even prompt me to come post about it on here with you guys in the ADA thread.

Much ado about nothing IMO.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I certainly didn't click on the links expecting to hear a coach dish dirt, and I don't feel that any of it was framed in a way meant to make ADA look bad. Nor was I expecting to hear about ground-breaking coaching strategies. Just some minor insight from a coach that you could infer as much or as little as you want from.

tlk

Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
tumblr_noqb6m0eTz1sjkef7o1_500.jpg

tlk

Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
I don't see anything unusual about that and I get the feeling if he were asked he would probably say DeAngelo isn't the only player he's done this for.
Exactly. To pass judgement on a particular player we need to know the same about other players - how "hard" it was to coach and how much they've "given" in practice.
I have a feeling the results would've been spread pretty evenly..

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Always thought Tony was probably a good guy that just did some dumb things occasionally including losing his temper. I thought Tony got a bad hand a few times based largely on his reputation. Tony is the first and only guy I have ever seen suspended for a season because he got hit with a blocker.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
finally found where the NYR/Hartford topic starts - 1:05:10 into it, ie with ~51:30 remaining
(my laptop playback view shows time remining clearly and consistently, but not elapsed)

will go back to 'the good part' in a bit

interviewer was too distracted by talking Iginla and Marty St.Louis, he missed the opportunity to ask Keith about one-time teammate, legendary NYR draft pick Bob Maudie

Last edited:
Reactions: Khall9

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site

That's it.

There was the whole Philly street fighter who didn't know how and when to direct his passion for battle bit.
Sounds like a character from Jersey Shore trying to alpha out the next guy and lash out when he's not winning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad