Confirmed with Link: Forsling signed 8 years!!! Only 5.75 million AAV!!!

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Lol at the main board going on about taxes. Do they have a memory of a goldfish and how much we used to have to overpay UFAs to come here....

The tax issue is real. If players want to play here, and like playing here, then the Panthers have an advantage. As I just posted in the trade board, if Gustav Forsling had signed his contract with a team like the LA Kings, he would lose something like $700,000 annually due to state income tax. It actually is a big deal and it works to our advantage.

The team was never able to leverage this in the past because it was a stupid Mickey Mouse clown organization and guys who were serious about playing in the NHL didn't want to be here.

What the current ownership and management has done is to actually build a good team that players want to play for, and they're now in the process of trying to leverage the perks of playing here (drive your golf cart to practice! you live here in the off-season anyway!) with the obvious financial incentive in order to get guys to sign for a smaller cap hit.

It should be very sobering for all of us that we were never able to enjoy this advantage in the past. It speaks volumes to what a shitty organization the Panthers were during the 2000s and most of the 2010s that draft picks wouldn't sign with us and free agents wouldn't come here at market value, much less a discount.

Last Rat Standing

May 26, 2016
South Florida
The tax issue is real. If players want to play here, and like playing here, then the Panthers have an advantage. As I just posted in the trade board, if Gustav Forsling had signed his contract with a team like the LA Kings, he would lose something like $700,000 annually due to state income tax. It actually is a big deal and it works to our advantage.

The team was never able to leverage this in the past because it was a stupid Mickey Mouse clown organization and guys who were serious about playing in the NHL didn't want to be here.

What the current ownership and management has done is to actually build a good team that players want to play for, and they're now in the process of trying to leverage the perks of playing here (drive your golf cart to practice! you live here in the off-season anyway!) with the obvious financial incentive in order to get guys to sign for a smaller cap hit.

It should be very sobering for all of us that we were never able to enjoy this advantage in the past. It speaks volumes to what a shitty organization the Panthers were during the 2000s and most of the 2010s that draft picks wouldn't sign with us and free agents wouldn't come here at market value, much less a discount.

Ol Joe Niewendyk, Gary Roberts and Ed Belfour

Reactions: WaitingForThatCab

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Yes I'm sure after signing a deal for $46M he's going to feel bad that people are saying how he's being a great teammate and committed to winning instead of squeezing every last dollar available. Dude knows exactly what he's doing.
Yea cause thats what i said.

Mase

Cousins.....kind of a c**t
Aug 6, 2010
Holding the blue
I'm extremely happy for him and his family.

I think he knows what it is not be sure about his future. Zito seemed emotional just talking about his work ethic and how invaluable real observable examples like that help shape a culture.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
I'm extremely happy for him and his family.

I think he knows what it is not be sure about his future. Zito seemed emotional just talking about his work ethic and how invaluable real observable examples like that help shape a culture.
And he added Gadjovich's work ethic while coming back from injury. Zito is looking for these kind of role models to strengthen our identity that got its base by getting Hörnqvist.

Reactions: Mase

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
1709909786157.jpeg

Reactions: Thewselius

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Flames fan here coming to say I am jealous and that this could pan out to be the best contract in the league soon.
Reminds me how I felt when we saw the Weegar contract: underpaid by 1.5-2M. Major difference with the Weegar contract is the use of signing bonuses (almost all of Forsling, less than 20% of Weegar)

It's important to have a winning culture and buy in like this.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
We talk about how Barkov and Chucky took less and set the precedent. Equally as important is Huberdeau.

The worse he gets the better it will be for us.

“Do you want to take a little less, take the Tkachuk path to glory or would you prefer to go down that Huberdeau road to embarrassment destruction and misery?”

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
took a peek at the Ekblad contract

1710364985544.png

Almost a 50% split on bonuses and Salary.

The team could conceivably offer him 6.75 or so and structure it differently and he would still get a raise.

As in if the split was 80% bonuses and 20% base salary, he would be taking home more than he does now

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
took a peek at the Ekblad contract

View attachment 835264

Almost a 50% split on bonuses and Salary.

The team could conceivably offer him 6.75 or so and structure it differently and he would still get a raise.

As in if the split was 80% bonuses and 20% base salary, he would be taking home more than he does now
There is no universe where he gets that kind of money now. I wouldnt pay him 3.5. My guess is some other dumb gm will pay him and thatll be that. Id be shocked if he were here past his contract. I'd trade him this summer.

Reactions: Great8Cam

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
This Ekblad hate here is insane. I would happily give him Forsling money and call it a day. He is workhorse.
A rare MaWa post to come to the defense of Ekblad, I respect it!

I agree though, mostly. I'm not sure Ekblad should get as much as Forsling and it'd be a bit odd if he did considering forsling has been better for at least 2 straight seasons. Not to mention his injury history remains a legit concern, while Forsling has barely missed games.

But Ek is still a solid first pairing D and trading him would really put a gap in our defense. 1Ds are really hard to find and develop. We know the latter isn't happening anytime soon for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: BabyBennettov

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
This Ekblad hate here is insane. I would happily give him Forsling money and call it a day. He is workhorse.

I'm sorry, I still like the guy, but you have to separate the fact that he's still a quality defenseman from the fact that his leg injuries keep piling up year after year.

I think at this point it's very reasonable to question whether or not he can even stay healthy for even one season. Forsling is a better player, much better at protecting himself and staying healthy, and just took 5.75m annually.

Ekblad isn't getting 6m/8y.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
I don't hate the guy, it's just reality. For a guy who misses games yearly due to foot / knee injuries and isn't a good skater to begin with... I don't want a Seabrook situation. If that happens, then I'll hate him for sure. And everyone else will too because then he will be a boat anchor and hurt the team for years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad