Frölunda HC (SHL) changes logo - criticism hails

Maze93

Dec 30, 2019
Gothenburg, Sweden
Yesterday Frölunda HC of the SHL (previously Frölunda Indians) presented their new logo to be used when the next season starts. The criticism did not wait. The team meant for it to be including and to follow the concept of "forward, together". Frölunda is changing from a logo representing native americans introduced in 1995 in a series of name and logo changes in the world (recently Washington Commanders of the NFL).

Frölunda received over 700 proposals for their new logo from supporters.

The first picture with the native american is the previous logo, the second with two F:s and an H (green with white background, created by design company) is the new logo and the one with the green background is the one supporters wanted (created by supporter designer). The picture containing multiple logos are all of the previous logos used by Frölunda throughout the years.

The criticism against the new logo are mainly the following:

1. Why are there 2 F:s? Frölunda HC is shortened FHC, not FHF.
2. Why is it a big S in the logo?
3. Why does the logo look like a swastika in the hidden H?
4. Why have Frölunda plagiarized a couple of other companies such as Frida Hansdotter Sportswear and Fastighetsägarna?
5. Where are the teams colours? Frölunda is red, white and green.
6. Why weren't supporters involved in the process of deciding in the new logotype, other than sending in proposals that were dismissed?

#Froelunda, #Frölunda and other varieties of the team name is trending on Twitter and the general manager of the team has made a statement that they need to take in the unexpected criticism before doing anything else. An additional hardship for Frölunda is that white power movements in Sweden have made positive comments regarding the logo and wants the team to keep it, putting more gasoline on the already burning fire.

What do you think of the new logo?
My personal opinion is that it should be replaced with the supporter proposal immediately, mainly because of the proposal being a continuation of the team legacy and since it is so much nicer than the new logo, but also because of all of the bad associations that have already been made regarding the new logotype. We will just have to see what the future holds for us...

Sorry if any grammatical errors have been made in this post, english is my second language.

-----

Update 1: press conference tomorrow at 10 swedish time regarding the logotype and criticism.

Update 2: Frölunda will throw the new logo in the trash bin.

Attachments

• 2021110810118_6188f74cd3411d5c3054cbcajpeg.jpg
    2021110810118_6188f74cd3411d5c3054cbcajpeg.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 14
  • FB_IMG_1643830203155.jpg
    FB_IMG_1643830203155.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220203_215345.jpg
    20220203_215345.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 16
  • thumb_1920.jpeg
    thumb_1920.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
I thought the implied new color scheme was nice looking and interesting. The logo dull, however it was embarrassing how similar it was to Hansdotter’s.

I’m not sure that there was a “right way” for Frölunda to go about this process in Glenn’s mind — many of them wanted to keep the slur branding — but this certainly wasn’t it.

I expected the 80s logo to make a return at least until emotions were running a bit lower.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad