Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Beggars can't be choosers.

There aren't many proven backup or #2 type goalies available. Forsberg played 30 games this season with an .890 save percentage. Here is a list of upcoming UFA goalies who played 10+ games with an .890+ save percentage.

PLAYERTEAMAGEPOSHANDEDGPGAPP/GP+/-ShSh%TOIWLSOGAASv%CLAUSEEXPIRYCAP HITSALARY
1. Laurent BrossoitLogo of the Winnipeg JetsWPG31GLeft23--------15532.00.927UFA$1,750,000$1,750,000
2. Anthony StolarzLogo of the Florida PanthersFLA30GLeft27--------16722.03.925UFA$1,100,000$1,100,000
3. David RittichLogo of the Los Angeles KingsLAK31GLeft24--------13632.16.921UFA$875,000$875,000
4. Cam TalbotLogo of the Los Angeles KingsLAK36GLeft54--------272032.50.913NTCUFA$1,000,000$1,000,000
5. Calvin PickardLogo of the Edmonton OilersEDM32GLeft23--------12712.45.909UFA$762,500$775,000
6. Kevin LankinenLogo of the Nashville PredatorsNSH29GLeft24--------11612.82.908UFA$2,000,000$2,000,000
7. James ReimerLogo of the Detroit Red WingsDET36GLeft25--------11823.11.904M-NTCUFA$1,500,000$1,500,000
8. Martin JonesLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsTOR34GLeft22--------11822.87.902UFA$875,000$875,000
9. Alex NedeljkovicLogo of the Pittsburgh PenguinsPIT28GLeft38--------18712.97.902UFA$1,500,000$1,500,000
10. Scott WedgewoodLogo of the Dallas StarsDAL31GLeft32--------16702.85.899UFA$1,000,000$1,000,000
11. Kaapo KähkönenLogo of the New Jersey DevilsNJD27GLeft37--------72413.64.898UFA$2,750,000$2,900,000
12. Ivan ProsvetovLogo of the Colorado AvalancheCOL25GLeft11--------4303.16.895UFA
Group 6
$775,000$775,000
13. Casey DeSmithLogo of the Vancouver CanucksVAN32GLeft29--------12912.89.895UFA$1,800,000$1,900,000
14. Ilya SamsonovLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsTOR27GLeft40--------23733.13.890UFA$3,550,000$3,550,000

Once you take away the top 3-5 goalie free agents, who will be in a position to get term and pick their destination, it's a real bottom of the barrel type crop. There simply are not a lot of options for proven NHL goalies. A chunk of these goalies will stay with their current teams. There might only be a few realistic options for someone who wants a proven 20-30+ game backup, but doesn't want to get into a bidding war for Stolarz, or given out a lot of term.

Come the draft, if a team can throw Ottawa a late pick for Forsberg, that's something someone is going to consider when you look at the above crop. If he had 2 or 3 years of term, I don't think he would be moveable. As a pending UFA, he will be a fit somewhere.

Fair enough. Personally, I would bet on a bottom of the barrel free agent before I'd bet on this version of Forsberg at $2.75M, but I see your logic and would be happy - as a Sens fan - if someone took him off our books.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Come the draft, if a team can throw Ottawa a late pick for Forsberg, that's something someone is going to consider when you look at the above crop. If he had 2 or 3 years of term, I don't think he would be moveable. As a pending UFA, he will be a fit somewhere.
Out of that list, I'd take a chance at Broissoit. Stolarz, DeSmith, or Kahkonen,

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'd take BTanev, but huge no to Cousins or Lomberg. Those guys are slimeballs

Maybe Treliving is dumb enough to think Korpisalo is an upgrade on Samsonov.

They take Hamonic, Korpisalo and a 2nd for Knies or Robertson after Bertuzzi and Domi get signed to inflated deals lol
This cant be real... He was basically their best player in the playoffs. Just to get rid of Hamonic and Korpisalo a 2nd wouldnt do it. Two of the worst contracts in hockey.

Id also love if they started to build this team like Florida. Look how good they are, this team needs some sand paper they are way to easy to play against. Id take Cousins or Lomberg.

Quality over Quantity in Chychrun trade.

A 1 for 1 trade brings back best value

Sens gotta find their Hossa Heatley trade

Sam Bennett for Chychrun

Nicholas Hague for Chychrun

Radek Faksa for Chychrun

Morgan Geekie for Chychrun
Chychrun for futures and targeting a RD in the UFA market with the money. There are actually lots of them out there. You can go get a Geekie or Faksa in free agency easily, they are a dime a dozen player.

Staios will be prudent with his assets thats something we can all look forward to for the first time in a long time.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Would there be any interest from Sens fans on something around Brady for Rantanen with an extension?
No, it just doesn’t make sense for us. We’re already way too soft with Brady, he’s the heart of our team, younger than Rantanen and we can’t compete yet etc. Plus there’s no way we’re not on his NTC so it wouldn’t matter even if we wanted to.

Reactions: Perratrooper

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Would there be any interest from Sens fans on something around Brady for Rantanen with an extension?

1. Rantanen is not extending here.
  2. Even if he would, Colorado wouldn't have the leverage to get Brady Tkachuk.
Teams rarely get full value when trading pending UFAs, even with extensions. The extension usually acts like a NTC. It limits the market.

Even the Tkachuk to FLA trade, that was a very unique trade and while Calgary did get two stars back, they were both pending UFAs who Calgary had to pay the absolute upper end of market value to keep. That's keeping in mind how unique that trade was.

Unless it's something equally unique like Rantanen for Marner, Colorado is unlikely to get a similar level star for Rantanen. It will be a package deal type thing.

Reactions: Perratrooper

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
  1. Rantanen is not extending here.
  2. Even if he would, Colorado wouldn't have the leverage to get Brady Tkachuk.
Teams rarely get full value when trading pending UFAs, even with extensions. The extension usually acts like a NTC. It limits the market.

Even the Tkachuk to FLA trade, that was a very unique trade and while Calgary did get two stars back, they were both pending UFAs who Calgary had to pay the absolute upper end of market value to keep. That's keeping in mind how unique that trade was.

Unless it's something equally unique like Rantanen for Marner, Colorado is unlikely to get a similar level star for Rantanen. It will be a package deal type thing.
I’d think the return that the Senators would want for BT would be prohibitive for most teams. I can’t imagine what Rantanen would get paid in his extension either given that his current cap hit is already $9.25 m. I am just approaching this from the other angle, what would the Senators want in a return in this hypothetical example.

I’d think the return for Brady would have to be a very good (or excellent) Center or RD plus whatever other assets just to get the conversation going. It might even be both (C + RD). BTW, yes I know that Rantanen is a RW, C.

When saying this, I am assuming this to be a near future trade scenario as Rantanen is UFA after this upcoming season. The BT scenario changes things once he gets his NMC in 2025-26. That’s a concern for another day I suppose.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I don't want to trade Tkachuk, especially not to Colorado for a deal involving Rantanen because the Avs don't have the pieces needed to make it worth the Sens.

We'd get back Rantanen who we have to sign to an $11 million aav deal, no way the Avs give us Girard or Manson, who are mainstays in their D core, no way they give up Ross or Lekhonen who are signed to low aav's, they won't move Mittelstadt who is this future 2C, and besides 1st round picks, they don't have much to offer.

The deal would be something garbage like Rantanen, Nichushkin (who no team will want), an unprotected first rounder, and a mid prospect like Olausson.

No deal to be made imo.

If they want Norris, Joseph, and Chychrun, I'd say sure.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I don't want to trade Tkachuk, especially not to Colorado for a deal involving Rantanen because the Avs don't have the pieces needed to make it worth the Sens.

We'd get back Rantanen who we have to sign to an $11 million aav deal, no way the Avs give us Girard or Manson, who are mainstays in their D core, no way they give up Ross or Lekhonen who are signed to low aav's, they won't move Mittelstadt who is this future 2C, and besides 1st round picks, they don't have much to offer.

The deal would be something garbage like Rantanen, Nichushkin (who no team will want), an unprotected first rounder, and a mid prospect like Olausson.

No deal to be made imo.

If they want Norris, Joseph, and Chychrun, I'd say sure.
I think the Avs would gladly give up Girard, Ross or Lekhonen as part of package for Tkachuk. Its other way around. The Senators would want a way better player or players as the key pieces in the trade. The aforementioned players would be more like the ancillary throw in guys.

I don’t think there is a trade to made with Avs either btw.

I think teams will wait a year to see if Norris is healthy and can stay healthy before they make any move for him. JMHO.

The idea of trading Joseph is also somewhat perplexing. His speed at stretching and getting behind defenses is useful and I don’t think we’d find a much better at his cap hit.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I think the Avs would gladly give up Girard, Ross or Lekhonen as part of package for Tkachuk. Its other way around. The Senators would want a way better player or players as the key pieces in the trade. The aforementioned players would be more like the ancillary throw in guys.
I meant to write that but it was very unclear. The Avs don't have the pieces we'd need, and they wouldn't be willing to give the combination of guys that we'd want.

Reactions: HoweHullOrr

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
This cant be real... He was basically their best player in the playoffs. Just to get rid of Hamonic and Korpisalo a 2nd wouldnt do it. Two of the worst contracts in hockey.

Id also love if they started to build this team like Florida. Look how good they are, this team needs some sand paper they are way to easy to play against. Id take Cousins or Lomberg.

Chychrun for futures and targeting a RD in the UFA market with the money. There are actually lots of them out there. You can go get a Geekie or Faksa in free agency easily, they are a dime a dozen player.

Staios will be prudent with his assets thats something we can all look forward to for the first time in a long time.
I would love to see Staios start building a team with players who are hard to play against and add some physical toughness and sandpaper to our current soft-as-sxxx roster. Get a big tough top 4 RD and 2 D for the 3rd pair who play physical all the time. Then get some big tough forwards to relieve Tkachuk of the enforcer role.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I don’t think there is a trade to made with Avs either btw.

I think teams will wait a year to see if Norris is healthy and can stay healthy before they make any move for him. JMHO.

The idea of trading Joseph is also somewhat perplexing. His speed at stretching and getting behind defenses is useful and I don’t think we’d find a much better at his cap hit.
Trading Tkachuk for a pile of vet hockey players of lower capabilities is a recipe for disaster; something Dorion would do. Hopefully Staios is smarter than Dorion.

I agree that trading Joseph who brings speed and hustle plus some sandpaper to our 3rd line would not be something I would do unless we get something valuable in return. Joseph is not a "problem" on this team.

Norris is a major question mark going forward; an $8M forward who appears to be injury-prone and afraid to play physical hockey.

Reactions: Bileur

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I would love to see Staios start building a team with players who are hard to play against and add some physical toughness and sandpaper to our current soft-as-sxxx roster. Get a big tough top 4 RD and 2 D for the 3rd pair who play physical all the time. Then get some big tough forwards to relieve Tkachuk of the enforcer role.
I think you will like the changes the org makes to the roster over the next few years. I’d say Staios but I think they will likely hire a GM prior to camp.

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
If Norris returns - IF - I would like to see him on LW with Pinto at C. Look at a 3rd line of Joseph - Greig - FA/trade (I like Appleton here).

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If Norris returns - IF - I would like to see him on LW with Pinto at C. Look at a 3rd line of Joseph - Greig - FA/trade (I like Appleton here).
Agreed, Norris just isnt a puck distributer at all. He is made to be a winger.
I think you will like the changes the org makes to the roster over the next few years. I’d say Staios but I think they will likely hire a GM prior to camp.
Dont think this is going to happen. He is going to surround himself with a pretty big group of hockey ops that he will delegate to and trust but there wont be a new GM. The concept of a president and a GM doesnt make sense. Its essentially the same as GM with assistant GM's. I could see him hiring another assistant GM or promoting someone like Poulin.

Reactions: LiseL and Icelevel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad