• Bobrovsky

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • No one

Votes: 28 43.1%

• Total voters

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Just wanted to give a brief summary of where things stand with the Panthers coming into free agency this year for anyone who's checking in for the first time in a couple months. Right now, Florida has:

-774k in cap space
-19 players on the NHL roster

After LTIRing Duclair who isn't due back until January, they'll get 3 million in space (technically they don't "get" space LTIRing someone allows them to go over the cap, but to keep things simple, let's just say they get the 3 million). This will have them at:

-3.77 million in cap space
-18 players on the NHL roster

So what can we expect from Florida?

Well option A. is they do nothing. They can let Marchment, Giroux, and Chariot walk, sign a couple minimum salary guys and wait for Duclair to come back. They'll still have a very good team but I think everyone would say this isn't ideal

Option B (what I think is most likely): Getting rid of Hornqvist. If they move Duclair now or during the season, after Horny buyout/trade they're at 7.3 or 9 million in cap space. If they plan to bring back Duclair after Horny buyout/trade they're at 4.3 or 6. This probably leaves just enough to bring Marchment back. I still think this will happen but I'm surprised he hasn't been ought out, I didn't think anyone would take that salary via trade.

Option C: Getting rid of Bob. Least likely, he has value and I don't think Zito wants to pay sweeteners for a player with value. He's just unfortunately overpaid.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
This is going to be a pretty dull day in terms of new blood coming in. Probably just see a move like Jumbo Joe being brought back as depth. Like I said in OP, I thought for sure Hornqvist would be bought out by now, the fact he hasn't means either there's a trade for him ready to go or Zito is running it back and is confident in them having success in the playoffs with out March or Duke for 40 games, or the most improbable option that there's a Bob taker.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I think it’s Hornquist but I hope it’s a package trade with Weegar to free up more… with prospects coming back. Then we can sign two of March/Giroux/Chiarot. (I think Chiarot >> Weegar.)

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
This is going to be a pretty dull day in terms of new blood coming in. Probably just see a move like Jumbo Joe being brought back as depth. Like I said in OP, I thought for sure Hornqvist would be bought out by now, the fact he hasn't means either there's a trade for him ready to go or Zito is running it back and is confident in them having success in the playoffs with out March or Duke for 40 games, or the most improbable option that there's a Bob taker.
Running it back is fine, Florida is still going to be in contention for 1st overall with this squad

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Running it back is fine, Florida is still going to be in contention for 1st overall with this squad
Right but idgaf about regular season, last year the Panthers had a comically stacked team and got blasted in the 2nd round by Tampa, taking the pre-tdl team from last year and replacing March and Duke with Denisenko and Hepo, the ceiling would imo getting blasted by Tampa again, either round 1 or 2 depending on if Florida wins the division or Toronto does.

This is going to be the 4th straight playoff season for Florida, I have no interest in a fun regular season anymore. Just win (in the playoffs) baby.

Reactions: HockeyRulez

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
I think it’s Hornquist but I hope it’s a package trade with Weegar to free up more… with prospects coming back. Then we can sign two of March/Giroux/Chiarot. (I think Chiarot >> Weegar.)

Eh I'm not thrilled with running Chiarot over Weegar. It would have to be a extremely team friendly deal to make it worth.

Reactions: I am not exposed

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Horny does have an 8 team NTC, both Arizona and Chi are probably on it, in other years I could see him waiving for Arizona, work on his tan for 6 months and they'd move him at the TDL, but with the arena they're in I'm not sure anyone would waive for that minor league stuff.

SimbaThePanther

Jul 3, 2015
Sweden
Chiarot gone.
Giroux gone.
Marchment stays.
I'm thinking this as well. And it is the best option. We missed Marchment in the playoffs I think, the type of player we should have brought in more of for the tdl. Honestly not expecting much happening for FA, but you never know I guess.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
I'm thinking this as well. And it is the best option. We missed Marchment in the playoffs I think, the type of player we should have brought in more of for the tdl. Honestly not expecting much happening for FA, but you never know I guess.
Right player for POs - if he could just stay healthy. He seems too prone to injury. But each time he is on the ice, he is a difference maker for us. Contract needs to be a fair balance of his capabilities and finally be able to play a full season and POs

Reactions: SimbaThePanther

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
In Zito we trust

Altho

I'm pretty pissed at him for taking the Bruno gamble and Chiarot trade.

I expect to lose all our UFA's and add some scrubs. Let's see if the magician can work out some cap space without ruining us

Reactions: Gentle Man

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
You were adamant he would not be moved earlier in the season!

Well, the playoffs showed me that re-signing March is a must. Unfortunately we need to move a large salary and Horny's is the only one we can really afford to move. Is that ok with you boss?

Horny does have an 8 team NTC, both Arizona and Chi are probably on it, in other years I could see him waiving for Arizona, work on his tan for 6 months and they'd move him at the TDL, but with the arena they're in I'm not sure anyone would waive for that minor league stuff.

There's still Chicago and Anaheim. Montreal might want to become a dumping ground as well.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I mean I'd want to move Montour too but who the heck would want him
I like Weegs but because I think it’d be too expensive to sign him to an extension, I think we probably should have cashed in and traded him. Then hopefully Monty could have stepped up to a larger role.

-ghoste

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I like Weegs but because I think it’d be too expensive to sign him to an extension, I think we probably should have cashed in and traded him. Then hopefully Monty could have stepped up to a larger role.

-ghoste

Weegar is too expensive so we should hope that Montour becomes like him, which is a top pairing dman, so that we can conclude that he is also too expensive to hold on to?

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Weegar is too expensive so we should hope that Montour becomes like him, which is a top pairing dman, so that we can conclude that he is also too expensive to hold on to?
Weegar has proven he is not quite a top pairing d-man. Much more suitable as a 3-4 guy.

With that said, neither is Montour. Zito is in quite the pickle here with the defense. I wouldn't want to be making that decision right now.

Not a lot of cap space for GMZ to work with, basically nothing right now. I do think he's trying hard to move money but the league doesn't seem to be as generous this off-season in terms of helping off-load contracts. As many others have already said, until money gets moved there isn't much Zito can do. That Yandle buyout is really f***ing us this summer.

Reactions: 16Skippy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad