G Jakub Milota - Cape Breton, QMJHL (Draft 2024)

czech

Feb 23, 2009
Today, together with his team, he became the champion of the "Dorost" league. Played all 15 games in the playoffs. Thanks in no small part to the excellent performance of Milota, the Trinec team did not lose a single match in the semi-final series, as well as the final play-off series (in the final, he neutralized the shots on goal of such star forwards as Titlbach and Benak more than once).
He also shone in the regular championship, winning in the nomination the best sv% (94.7).

czech

Feb 23, 2009
No one expected Milota to play three games in a row in three days. Yesterday he was celebrating a victory in the "Dorost" league, and today he was called up to play as a goalkeeper in the seventh, decisive match of the U20 league semi-final series. In the previous, sixth game, the main goalkeeper missed 7 goals and therefore a young goalkeeper from the league-u17 was called to the decisive game. And Milota did not disappoint - he confidently repelled the opponent's attacks in the main time of the match, helped out in overtime and acted brilliantly in the shootout.
... In the regular championship of the league-u20 (and the goalkeeper spent part of the season there too), Milota was also noticeable - he won 8 matches out of 9 in which he took part.

czech

Feb 23, 2009
Named the best player of today's decisive group game against the Swedes.
image.webp

Reactions: Czechboy

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Why isn’t he on the Czech world junior team? Very good numbers for a draft eligible and not small.
Should have been selected but the same goes for Lukas Matecha who is even better than Milota.

I'm not Czech and can only speculate but my guess is that they wanted to avoid a goalie controversy. Hrabal is their clear cut starter I think and they didn't want to take goalies out of a good situation with their teams just to have them sit on the bench or in the press box. They did a similar thing with the skaters by not selecting Perez and Felcman.

This can work out beautifully if Hrabal stays sharp and healthy...otherwise this could backfire. We'll see.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Hrabal is their clear
Is he though? He's 18. I know he projects to be awesome and I want him to be the 1. But to just give it to him is a bit silly. I'm not saying Vondras and Schnatinnger are bad. They are both good but I felt we had better options. Czechs do this a lot. We brought Vej to the World's and benched him for the first 4 games. Pavelec had this happen to him all the time. For some reason, we also end up playing our backup in important games. I'm not kidding when I say I expect Schattinger to be our starter for the quarter. It's the Czech way.lol

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Is he though? He's 18. I know he projects to be awesome and I want him to be the 1. But to just give it to him is a bit silly. I'm not saying Vondras and Schnatinnger are bad. They are both good but I felt we had better options. Czechs do this a lot. We brought Vej to the World's and benched him for the first 4 games. Pavelec had this happen to him all the time. For some reason, we also end up playing our backup in important games. I'm not kidding when I say I expect Schattinger to be our starter for the quarter. It's the Czech way.lol
If Hrabal isn't the clear starter then they should have selected at least one of Matecha and Milota. The only reason this does make sense is if Hrabal is the guy because I'm not sure how happy Matecha and Milota would be to warm the bench for Hrabal in their draft season. If there's a realistic chance that an alternative to Hrabal is needed then you want the best possible goalies on the roster. Which, with Spunar out, would be the ones we just talked about.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's not uncommon to have goalies at 18 years old being left off the World jr team only to have them be a starter the following season when they are 19.
The guys they were left off for are in no looking likely to get ELC’s. It’d be understandable if they were left off for good goalies. Not this.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Poor Czech decision.. long history of us doing this to goalies.
Czech's have the best recent history in the world juniors of bringing good goalies. All the other countries seem to have a year or two when they have no one.

The decision to not take the second and third best shouldn't make a big difference on results, as long as Hrabal is the one playing important games. Next year could be a really exciting group of three goalies.

Reactions: Goodman68

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Czech's have the best recent history in the world juniors of bringing good goalies. All the other countries seem to have a year or two when they have no one.

The decision to not take the second and third best shouldn't make a big difference on results, as long as Hrabal is the one playing important games. Next year could be a really exciting group of three goalies.
I've seen way too many tourneys where the starter struggles. Or where we bench the starter and play a local undrafted Euro. Color me skeptical on this one.lol

I obviously hope Hrabal kills it and gets the lion shares of games.

Reactions: Goodman68

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I've seen way too many tourneys where the starter struggles. Or where we bench the starter and play a local undrafted Euro. Color me skeptical on this one.lol

I obviously hope Hrabal kills it and gets the lion shares of games.
Well...I don't know how much media pressure you get in Czechia but I assume some questions would be asked if he doesn't.

Last edited:

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
I don't understand this WJC talk, he was never making the team. Hrabal is a far better prospect and he didn't make the WJC squad last season either.

Also, why is he listed 6'2" all of sudden? At the Hlinka he was definitely in the 6'0/6'1 range.

• Haha
Reactions: TimeZone

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I don't understand this WJC talk, he was never making the team. Hrabal is a far better prospect and he didn't make the WJC squad last season either.

Also, why is he listed 6'2" all of sudden? At the Hlinka he was definitely in the 6'0/6'1 range.

I like Hrabal but you're comparing apples and oranges. Milota is younger than Hrabal. Also, Milota is a lot better than Hrabal's backups who are both CHL failures. Milota was also just named to the CHL top prospect game. He's not a bad goalie.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
I like Hrabal but you're comparing apples and oranges. Milota is younger than Hrabal. Also, Milota is a lot better than Hrabal's backups who are both CHL failures. Milota was also just named to the CHL top prospect game. He's not a bad goalie.
I wanted Milota as the 3G for the experience. Just like I wanted Hrabal to be the 3G last year to gain experience. May have helped his wobbles a bit this tourney.

Then we could enter next year with a 19 year old Hrabal and a 18 year old Milota.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
One of the goalkeepers I have highest on my list. In front of Samuel St-Hilaire.Another very interesting year for Czech hockey with Matecha, Spunar.There are still no goalkeepers at Vokoun's level (Hasek for me is the GOAT so let's put him aside) but it will probably come in 10 years.It reminds me of the Russians. For a long time, they produced average but numerous goalkeepers, then things started to change.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
One of the goalkeepers I have highest on my list. In front of Samuel St-Hilaire.Another very interesting year for Czech hockey with Matecha, Spunar.There are still no goalkeepers at Vokoun's level (Hasek for me is the GOAT so let's put him aside) but it will probably come in 10 years.It reminds me of the Russians. For a long time, they produced average but numerous goalkeepers, then things started to change.
What about Dostal or Hrabal? I feel like they could be Vokoun levels? Am I a 'homer'?lol

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
What about Dostal or Hrabal? I feel like they could be Vokoun levels? Am I a 'homer'?lol
You will have the answer when you tell yourself that these will be established No. 1 goalies in the NHL. Something that takes time. Very few achieve this before reaching the age of 25. Mrazek is having a good season but we know him...

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
You will have the answer when you tell yourself that these will be established No. 1 goalies in the NHL. Something that takes time. Very few achieve this before reaching the age of 25. Mrazek is having a good season but we know him...
So we can say 18 year old Milota may be the next Vokoun but not Hrabal or Dostal?

We have 2 Czech fairtales this season!

Mrazek, if he stays healthy, could end up on a playoff team and maybe gets a run? Carolina, Edmonton and LA come to mind.

The other is Rittich.. former All Star. Came out of nowhere.. played great. Then he went to shit! Signed as a 3rd goalie and did well in AHL. Now he's 2 and 0.

Both fairy tales but I'm paying attention to both!

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
So we can say 18 year old Milota may be the next Vokoun but not Hrabal or Dostal?

We have 2 Czech fairtales this season!

Mrazek, if he stays healthy, could end up on a playoff team and maybe gets a run? Carolina, Edmonton and LA come to mind.

The other is Rittich.. former All Star. Came out of nowhere.. played great. Then he went to shit! Signed as a 3rd goalie and did well in AHL. Now he's 2 and 0.

Both fairy tales but I'm paying attention to both!
I'm not saying it will be him. But by accumulating good prospects, the chances of seeing an elite Czech goalkeeper increase. I preferred Hrabal last year if you want my opinion. But at 18, goalies are very far from the NHL.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Hrabal didn't make the WJC in his U18, draft season, just like Milota. Despite being a far better prospect, borderline 1st rounder, while Milota is not even a lock to get drafted.
Milota didn't make the CHL top prospect game either, that was the overager Matecha you are confusing him with probably.

I don't dissagree that Milota might be already better than both Vondras and Schnattinger, but he's younger, his time will come. The Czech team went into the tournament with a clear cut starter in Hrabal, not sure either backup gets even a game, although Vondras probably gets the game against Switzerland. And I don't think Milota was next in the line either, the truly best set (current abilty + future potential) of goalies would consist of some combination of Hrabal/Matecha/Spunar(injured)/Volevecky/Vondras.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Hrabal didn't make the WJC in his U18, draft season, just like Milota. Despite being a far better prospect, borderline 1st rounder, while Milota is not even a lock to get drafted.
Milota didn't make the CHL top prospect game either, that was the overager Matecha you are confusing him with probably.

I don't dissagree that Milota might be already better than both Vondras and Schnattinger, but he's younger, his time will come. The Czech team went into the tournament with a clear cut starter in Hrabal, not sure either backup gets even a game, although Vondras probably gets the game against Switzerland. And I don't think Milota was next in the line either, the truly best set (current abilty + future potential) of goalies would consist of some combination of Hrabal/Matecha/Spunar(injured)/Volevecky/Vondras.

Correct. Brain fart by me.

Reactions: Wooren

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad