Post-Game Talk: GAME 1: Capos @ Poffers, 7:37

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
That Ovi play was magic.
And Kuzya's breakaway almost looked like the goal in 2018 against Pens
Big concern now is Willy. He launched himself in the boards at a very high speed.

Good win for several reasons:
G1 on the road
All that hype for FLA fans went away. Since they are not true hockey fans while their team is winning they will cheer. But when Oshie scored it was quite.

But on the other side I said it before the series. We will split in FLA due to over experience and will lose in 5.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
ojetd.gif

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
This heat map is a thing of beauty. I mentioned one of the keys would be making Florida earn their way into the offensive zone and then again earn their way to the center of the ice. The Caps consistently played structured hockey through the neutral zone which frustrated the Panthers and then won the battles along the boards in the defensive zone which prevented Florida from being able to set up shop in the high-danger areas. Of note, Washington had 56% of the HD scoring chances at 5-on-5.

If the Caps can stay consistent and patient and cohesive as attacking and defensive units they will frustrate the hell out of Florida who really wants to run and gun. All that speed and skill is useless if you spend the whole game mucking it up along the boards against a bigger, stronger team.

1651661737277.png

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Didn’t feel good going into this game, pleasantly surprised. Keep it up, Caps.

Vitek, I think, always performs best when the team is under pressure - playoff underdogs, Sammy MIA, GMBM says team isn’t worth upgrading at the deadline etc. Glad to see Lavi’s decision paid off. Does make you wonder if the choice to start Sammy so much lately was about giving Sammy a final chance to fight back, or Vitek some rest and time to reset.

Team played good D overall, and beautiful in the third period. Mojo and Oshie were especially on it defensively tonight, getting in shooting lanes and breaking up plays. Mantha finally bringing a physical side to his game. The Caps can’t outscore Florida’s ridiculous offense, but they can thwart it.

Hope Willy’s okay.

Reactions: Neil Racki

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I can't believe i missed the first 10 minutes. I had on what I thought was pregame and would swear May and Alexa were chatting away as I watch with 1 eye assuming Foriduh was doing some dumb f***ing 20 minute pregame ritual patting themselves on the back for first place. Then I see a post here - Nice hit Willy and go into panic mode. I live for game 1 first period playoff hitting.

I missed a playoff Willy hit, willy goal, Willy high stuck, and Willy tearing up in ankle. If we didnt win I would f***ing bitter. Same shit different day.

I vote leave please leave game threads unlocked for longer than seasons past.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neil Racki

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
No disrespect to Ovechkin who is my favourite player all time but I am glad Weager held him up after the turnover because Ovechkin would not have scored on that breakaway.

<---- the only caps player I trust on a breakaway

I think every Caps fan was relieved to see a flying Kuz swoop in there. Ovie's 0 to 60 aint what it used to be.

Playoff hockey man .... f***ing love it

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Next game is probably the Caps the most important game of the playoffs. Florida will be ramped up and looking to get dirty. Caps are road warriors so I have no worries about them playing. They need to go up 2-0 because then it goes to D.C. where the Caps aren't so hot. I know everyone here is hoping VV has arrived after last night. I expect an epic performance from both teams next game. Please NHL, let the players play and not let the officials ruin this great game.
Post automatically merged:

I think every Caps fan was relieved to see a flying Kuz swoop in there. Ovie's 0 to 60 aint what it used to be.

Playoff hockey man .... f***ing love it
Yep. Just get in and play where it matters the most. It's amazing how the playoffs is so tight compared to the regular season. I wasn't paying attention to numbers and was like who the hell is that rushing like that hungry with the puck. Of course it would be Kuzy.

Was talking to Drake and had a dumb epiphany - the Caps have a massive advantage in the coaching battle. Rookie guy running Q's systems vs. Cup winner? I'll take the Cup winner in that match-up.
Excellent point.

I can't believe i missed the first 10 minutes. I had on what I thought was pregame and would swear May and Alexa were chatting away as I watch with 1 eye assuming Foriduh was doing some dumb f***ing 20 minute pregame ritual patting themselves on the back for first place. Then I see a post here - Nice hit Willy and go into panic mode. I live for game 1 first period playoff hitting.

I missed a playoff Willy hit, willy goal, Willy high stuck, and Willy tearing up in ankle. If we didnt win I would f***ing bitter. Same shit different day.

I vote leave please leave game threads unlocked for longer than seasons past.
I've done it a few times this year. Glad to see you posting again! I actually thought of you when Willie scored the first goal lol.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Didn't watch the ESPN coverage, but rather the home coverage with Joe B and Locker. They noted early on that the last time the Capitals had started the SC playoffs on the road was back in 2012 against the Boston Bruins who were the reigning SC champions. We know how that series ended with Joel Ward scoring the game winner with an assist from Knuble in game 7. Can't believe that it's been ten years.

Unlike in past SC series, came in to this with no high expectations so was quite relaxed watching it and was not surprised when the Panthers scored and how they scored. Hope Wilson will return for game 2.

The curse of the Presidents Cup continues. The pressure was already on the Panthers before the series began and now it's been ratcheted up.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Caps stuck to the game plan and delivered, Great Job!
Team D all the way, few clean entries, clog up neutral, slow them down, hardly any odd-man breaks
We could've easily had 3g 1st pd, and more in 2nd with all the chances

Let's hope JC74/Willy and the rest recover well and take it to them harder for game 2!

(and congrats to the about 5 HF posters here who were actually hopeful and positive for a game 1 win ;) )

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
So, we really won this game? Havent watched due to time zones and work. This isn't just an elaborate prank where all of you are participants? Wow.

I see now that VV had a .938 sv% . Nice try guys, but you overdid it.
He was who we thought he was. One ultra softie from above the dot, one juicy rebound, a competent G probably has both. Buuuuuut he also didn’t give the game away either. The team in front of him played great. Basically they kept the high risk chances to a minimum and he did fine with those, the few high risk shots they had he predictably was out of his depth.

Again, VV will play good enough to keep a team in the game but never steal one. Sammy may steal a game but is just as likely to give one away.

Reactions: crab and YippieKaey

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
VV had some damn good saves and a lot of poise. I wouldn't focus on just the 2 goals. There was no way to control the rebound on the 2nd as it was a shoulder save.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
A little lost in VVs .938, was specifically shutout hockey for the final 39 minutes of the game. Again, that'll do.

Yeah he really wanted that first long one back, but the second one was just where Giroooo made a great play, was not exactly a rebound he should be expected to control, it was at his shoulders.

VV had some damn good saves and a lot of poise. I wouldn't focus on just the 2 goals. There was no way to control the rebound on the 2nd as it was a shoulder save.

Heh, jinx!

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
So proud of my road warrior Caps. Once again defying the odds as the only team to beat the Cats (in regulation) when trailing after the 2nd. If I had one word to describe this year’s team, after such a strange season, it would be: resilient. And that’s what we saw last night - no panic, and knowing what it takes to win in the playoffs.

Excellent job from the D core limiting clean zone entries, and great team D all around. Mucking up the neutral zone, contesting every puck and winning board battles - thing of beauty. VV was pretty great, the 2nd goal was no softie, he couldn’t control it as it clipped him up high and then just bounced over to a wide open Giroux. Besides, holding them to 2 is a job well done, period.

Love to see the classic Caps stars be the difference in the game - Ovi/Kuzy, Backy/TJ. And Mantha getting feisty and hitting everybody was awesome to see.

Wish I didn’t have to have watch the ESPN feed out here in Cali. I broke out my red colored guitar, that proved a lucky charm in 2018, so I guess I’ll be nervously playing that again during games going forward.

To all the naysayers who said we’d get swept, I say LGC!! Saddle up for G2, Cats are gonna come out flying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad