Post-Game Talk: Game 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Carolina deserves some credit. This was their 10th game and they've yet to have a stinker. They're the only team left that can say that.

They have to get through this entire series now playing 7 good games. That's not easy.

Yeah these are two teams that are pretty even. It's not so much the loss itself that rankles me as it is the way the game was lost. A passive, flat, mentally weak game was not what the fans wanted to see.

Also it bugs me that we have to see the Trouba - Gus pairing for "political"/"psychological" reasons rather than current form.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
Pathetic.

Messier ripping them a bit. Saying they played to win on the 1-0 lead. No effort after that goal.

Same shit that almost cost them in Game 1. They never learn. Always try to take the easy way out. And then they just give up.
Hopefully he gives the pregame Game 7 speech.

TheWrongWay

May 7, 2023
New York
That was an affront to the game and an insult to the fans who invested their time and hard-earned money.

I can’t fathom how some of these guys can play with so little effort and urgency and look themselves in the mirror. Where’s the sense of pride and commitment, to yourself and to your teammates?

I am glad I was never in a game where my teammates ever played like that. I would have had a meltdown on the bench or in the locker room.

Hats off to the Canes’ players for showing up and earning the W

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
It's similar to the first goal in Game 4 with Trouba. Whereas Schneider challenged at the line and got turnstiled, Trouba backed in. Both were caused by botched clears/line changes. Boyle broke down the Trouba play post-game 4. When you as a dman expect your forwards to clear the zone and space out but they don't, then you're in deep shit because you're probably standing still. Do you challenge or do you back up? The natural thing to do is back up. If you try to step up and "torpedo" the oncoming forward, in Boyle's words, you're gonna get smoked at the NHL level. That's basically what happened to Schneider with Staal. You can't gap up when you're at a standstill with the expectation that your forwards will clear the puck out and it comes back at you right away.
All little things as Valley and Boyle said.

Kreider didn't make a play and just clears to center.
Mika bad line change.
Then Miller just watches his d partner get roasted and doesn't even offer a poke check let alone bump Staal allowing a clean finish.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
I'm no expert, but I can assure you, we need to have lost 4 in a row to lose this series.

Not counting shootouts, we didn't do that all year.
There's always a first time - we're already halfway there. And the regular season is a different thing - you don't play the same team, & a lot of them are lousy or not going all out. CAR is an excellent team. And they will bring a good game.

Rangers should still be favored to win this, but they need to be better.

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
All little things as Valley and Boyle said.

Kreider didn't make a play and just clears to center.
Mika bad line change.
Then Miller just watches his d partner get roasted and doesn't even offer a poke check let alone bump Staal allowing a clean finish.
I hope they learned a lesson!

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Embarrassing.

GNirh39XoAEMIAN.jpg

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
WTF is wrong with Panarin? Two games in a row he's been horrific. Not just invisible but noticeably bad.

Reactions: mrjiggyfly

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yeah these are two teams that are pretty even. It's not so much the loss itself that rankles me as it is the way the game was lost. A passive, flat, mentally weak game was not what the fans wanted to see.

Also it bugs me that we have to see the Trouba - Gus pairing for "political"/"psychological" reasons rather than current form.
I'm not concerned about that aspect of it.

This team has it mentally. We know they do. We've seen it. We all talked about it after game 3.

I can't guarantee you that we're going to win this series but we're going to give it a good shot and play to the best of our ability.

I don't think they were unprepared mentally last night. It was hockey-related. Laviolette adjusted the gameplan and he pushed all the wrong buttons.

He tried to get more defensive. We didn't need to. If Svechnikov doesn't score a fluke goal in game 3, we hold them to 1. If Trouba isn't the Hindenberg in game 4, we shut them out. I liked the way we played in Carolina. Play that way.

Our lead in the series has afforded us another chance to fix it.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Also, I don't care what Laviolette says, the third period was a huge step back.

The first 40 minutes weren't a work of art, but I didn't feel terribly threatened and we had some looks in transition that just didn't connect.

We came out for the third period in an AV 0-5 and it blew up almost immediately.

Our coach -who has always been good in between periods and in between games, whose team has always followed up bad periods and bad games with improvements- just had a disaster of a second intermission last night.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I'm not concerned about that aspect of it.

This team has it mentally. We know they do. We've seen it. We all talked about it after game 3.

I can't guarantee you that we're going to win this series but we're going to give it a good shot and play to the best of our ability.

I don't think they were unprepared mentally last night. It was hockey-related. Laviolette adjusted the gameplan and he pushed all the wrong buttons.

He tried to get more defensive. We didn't need to. If Svechnikov doesn't score a fluke goal in game 3, we hold them to 1. If Trouba isn't the Hindenberg in game 4, we shut them out. I liked the way we played in Carolina. Play that way.

Our lead in the series has afforded us another chance to fix it.

I agree about Lavi making mistakes (last two games) and the players taking their cues from him. That doesn't take responsibility away from the players and their lack of execution. E.g the Staal goal that has been talked about in detail.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
WTF is wrong with Panarin? Two games in a row he's been horrific. Not just invisible but noticeably bad.
It’s pretty alarming. Guy f***ing blows when it matters.

120 point regular season player, dangerous everytime he’s on the ice…now? Garbage.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I agree about Lavi making mistakes (last two games). That doesn't take responsibility away from the players and their lack of execution. E.g the Staal goal that has been talked about in detail.
That happened because the mandate was to just clear the puck.

You think Chris Kreider, who sprinted across the country like Forest Gump to score a SH goal in game 3, just suddenly got lazy in game 5?

We got cute with Carolina instead of taking it to them in transition, which has given them fits the whole series.

We still did it on the PK last night, so you know we're capable of it. We should play them that way all the time. Counter their aggression with aggression.

Priorae

Apr 21, 2017
New Jersey
I've become really concerned that we can't keep this team off the board. We're gonna need a shutdown performance to close this out. It looked like we were doing it and then we just had a meltdown.

Beyond that, I would have taken 3-2 lead after 5. It's not like we dominated and then fell apart. The first four were coin flips, so it doesn't seem to be of any use getting upset over the order.
This is exactly right. This series was going 7…just not how we expected

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
It’s pretty alarming. Guy f***ing blows when it matters.

120 point regular season player, dangerous everytime he’s on the ice…now? Garbage.

The first 7 games I don't think there was a moment where he looked like the dynamic player we saw at times in the regular season, but he was effective on the PP, quietly put up some points and scored some timely goals.

The last 2 games I don't know wtf I was looking at.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Also, I don't care what Laviolette says, the third period was a huge step back.

The first 40 minutes weren't a work of art, but I didn't feel terribly threatened and we had some looks in transition that just didn't connect.

We came out for the third period in an AV 0-5 and it blew up almost immediately.

Our coach -who has always been good in between periods and in between games, whose team has always followed up bad periods and bad games with improvements- just had a disaster of a second intermission last night.
I agree. It was the staff and the players. We already know the message was to defend, defend, defend.

I get it. You have Igor back there, but the there was too much focus on playing safe, not to lose hockey with a one goal lead than attacking and scoring that second goal. It backfired and actually left Igor out to dry.

It did them in, and the players and staff are well aware of it.

The best thing that could come from it is a recognition of what went wrong and not repeating it again. Using it as fuel the rest of the way. Thats what great teams do.

Well see if they take one step back to take two forward.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
They laid an egg last night. I wouldn't overreact to it. They haven't played a bad game in months, but this one was up there as an all timer.

The best thing about a game like that is the two days off after. Just flush the game and get back to work.

Reactions: Wtp99 and CLW
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad