Post-Game Talk: Game 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I think the forwards will bounce back, maybe whatever got Chytil got the rest of the team, they looked so lethargic. Couldn't even complete a pass. But I'm very worried about Fox, he looks almost human out there.

Reactions: will1066

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I agree. It was the staff and the players. We already know the message was to defend, defend, defend.

I get it. You have Igor back there, but the there was too much focus on playing safe, not to lose hockey with a one goal lead than attacking and scoring that second goal. It backfired and actually left Igor out to dry.

It did them in, and the players and staff are well aware of it.

The best thing that could come from it is a recognition of what went wrong and not repeating it again. Using it as fuel the rest of the way. Thats what great teams do.

Well see if they take one step back to take two forward.

Who would have thought trying to play like the 95 Devils in 2024 would backfire? *Shocked Pikachu face*

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Fox has 4 points in the playoffs. He's tied with Trouba and Goodrow,

I think Fox is hurt.

That's why I feel that if Chytil can't go Thursday then insert Zac Jones. With Rempe you're essentially playing 11 forwards anyway. And Brodzinski doesn't move the needle for me. I think Jones getting in would be more of a benefit than a detriment at this point.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
That happened because the mandate was to just clear the puck.

You think Chris Kreider, who sprinted across the country like Forest Gump to score a SH goal in game 3, just suddenly got lazy in game 5?

We got cute with Carolina instead of taking it to them in transition, which has given them fits the whole series.

We still did it on the PK last night, so you know we're capable of it. We should play them that way all the time. Counter their aggression with aggression.

I doubt Lavi told the players to play weak and passive even when clearing pucks. Chris Krieder made a weak play, it's not the first time we've seen it in previous playoffs too when he gets soft in the d zone, it's the part of his game I like the least. It's irrelevant if he made a strong aggressive play in another game except we know that is how he should be playing. That's why I complained about the mentally weak game they showed last night.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Metranger

May 22, 2015
Is there a logical reason why Kakko should not move up to the 1st line to replace Roslovic and move him down to the 3rd line?

Roslovic mostly speeds through the O Zone and behind the net and then throws the puck out randomly.

I think putting Kakko on the 1st line would be good for the line and for Kakko.

(I hope Mika doesn't have a broken rib from Burn's cross check).

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Fine no rebuild but if you don’t want to trade the shit out of Trouba and then set another example ala Zibanejad/Panarin on top of that you’re out of your mind
Panarin has 2 yrs left with a NMC. He’s talented and etc etc. but he’s not a heavy player, and his complete level 1 v 1 for loose pucks/playing tight D is to put it nicely weak as shit.

Everyone thinks we prob resign him when deal is done( for less money obviously), I’m not so sure.
They might try to replace him with a guy like Brady Tkachuk or a player of that ilk.
Someone with talent and bite.
Perrault will be coming up, Othmann/berard/sykora all play bigger than their statures, but not a lot of size there.
Zibby will be locked in. Kreider will retire a ranger, even if he’s a 3rd line winger/1PP guy. But he’s a physical freak so who knows.

I build around Laf, Cuylle, and Perrault. Fill in what we can internally. I like Kakko, but I don’t know about him here long term. Can help but think a guy like chmelar can fill his role for a fraction of the price sometime in the next year n half/2years.

I would love for Kakko to turn the corner here and sign long term deal, but I’m not holding my breathe. I don’t see him as having that inherently cocky big swinging di*k attitude you need to be a serious offensive threat.
Hope he proves me wrong……..

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Is there a logical reason why Kakko should not move up to the 1st line to replace Roslovic and move him down to the 3rd line?

Roslovic mostly speeds through the O Zone and behind the net and then throws the puck out randomly.

I think putting Kakko on the 1st line would be good for the line and for Kakko.

(I hope Mika doesn't have a broken rib from Burn's cross check).
Because Mika and Ck turn invisible when kk is on their line.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
That happened because the mandate was to just clear the puck.

You think Chris Kreider, who sprinted across the country like Forest Gump to score a SH goal in game 3, just suddenly got lazy in game 5?

We got cute with Carolina instead of taking it to them in transition, which has given them fits the whole series.

We still did it on the PK last night, so you know we're capable of it. We should play them that way all the time. Counter their aggression with aggression.
It was a serious miscalculation on Lavy's part and it went horribly wrong. You are up 3-1 in the series with a 1-0 lead entering the 3rd AT HOME and you play like that? They have had no trouble generating chances when they have pushed play and that is what you think will work? I lost some sleep last night thinking of this missed opportunity that was self inflicted. Tbh I have no faith they are going to win 1 of these next 2 especially if their PP continues to flounder.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It was a serious miscalculation on Lavy's part and it went horribly wrong. You are up 3-1 in the series with a 1-0 lead entering the 3rd AT HOME and you play like that? They have had no trouble generating chances when they have pushed play and that is what you think will work? I lost some sleep last night thinking of this missed opportunity that was self inflicted. Tbh I have no faith they are going to win 1 of these next 2 especially if their PP continues to flounder.
We have two days to work on the powerplay. We'll come up with something.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I stayed up until 5AM watching last night. I am so dead today at my conference. On my 3rd double espresso.

Damn it. I think this series goes 7.

If this series goes to 7 it will be fascinating to see of Lavi drops Trouba and/or Gus or if he goes down with the ship.

Reactions: Baby Duck Homme

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Panarin has 2 yrs left with a NMC. He’s talented and etc etc. but he’s not a heavy player, and his complete level 1 v 1 for loose pucks/playing tight D is to put it nicely weak as shit.

Everyone thinks we prob resign him when deal is done( for less money obviously), I’m not so sure.
They might try to replace him with a guy like Brady Tkachuk or a player of that ilk.
Someone with talent and bite.
Perrault will be coming up, Othmann/berard/sykora all play bigger than their statures, but not a lot of size there.
Zibby will be locked in. Kreider will retire a ranger, even if he’s a 3rd line winger/1PP guy. But he’s a physical freak so who knows.

I build around Laf, Cuylle, and Perrault. Fill in what we can internally. I like Kakko, but I don’t know about him here long term. Can help but think a guy like chmelar can fill his role for a fraction of the price sometime in the next year n half/2years.

I would love for Kakko to turn the corner here and sign long term deal, but I’m not holding my breathe. I don’t see him as having that inherently cocky big swinging di*k attitude you need to be a serious offensive threat.
Hope he proves me wrong……..
I see Kakko being dealt this off season. He does some good things but is just allergic to scoring.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think Fox is hurt.

That's why I feel that if Chytil can't go Thursday then insert Zac Jones. With Rempe you're essentially playing 11 forwards anyway. And Brodzinski doesn't move the needle for me. I think Jones getting in would be more of a benefit than a detriment at this point.
Insert Jones for what, though?

I would literally rather play injured Fox than reduce his minutes.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Even the biggest idiot in the world knows you don't play like that. I guess second biggest idiot in the world. I see why Laviolette gets fired everywhere he goes. Less disgusting looking Gallant.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
I think Fox is hurt.

If you insist on playing Jones, which I agree with, there's zero reason to keep us down a forward. Just scratch Gus. He's been less than useless anyway.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Even the biggest idiot in the world knows you don't play like that. I guess second biggest idiot in the world. I see why Laviolette gets fired everywhere he goes. Less disgusting looking Gallant.
He's been mostly good this year but he is still a bit of a Dino and has his flaws. If they lose this series a lot of the blame will be on his shoulders.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX

I was in the middle of tweeting "Attack! Don't sit back!" and before I could even finish typing, Staal scored. They had no intention of attacking for a second goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad