Post-Game Talk: Game 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
dude we're the presidents trophy winners and we're 7-0 in the playoffs before 2 losses big woop. losses happen brother watch us win Thursday. get some fresh air.
Also, as I mentioned last night, it's not like the league is folding after this year.

I think some questions have been answered as to whether or not a competitive core is here. Zibanejad has 13 points in 9 games. He and Kreider have not been a problem. Lafreniere has had a huge playoffs. Trocheck has had a huge playoffs, and he needed one.

If Panairn doesn't finish the series strong, maybe you explore crossing that bridge when you get to it.

The problems are correctable. If anything, I think we need to get better at 5v5 and that can be done by upgrading some of the obvious holes on defense.

That being said, we didn't even get to that bridge yet because the '84 Oilers would get outplayed by Carolina 5v5. It's just their style. They're a very good team and they have areas to exploit playing the way they do, like anybody else.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
eh... no disrespect, what you're saying is true to a degree, i just don't think it's having as much of an effect as you're implying.

Game 4, the rangers convert some of those missed nets and posts... and we're waiting to play Florida.

it comes down to execution. the top players (and others who should) on this team don't their chances when they have them.

Oh hell please don't assume you're disrespecting me by disagreeing!

I think games 1-5 could all have gone either way and that the difference was primarily the goaltending, from where I was sitting. Shot placement and execution are valid, but there's no question for me that Anderson and Koty have given up more rough goals than Igor this series.

But I do think that Carolina's style has changed, and ours primarily has not. Our execution, esp in regards to passing and taking passes, has been the biggest change to our detriment that I've seen. Not so much the end of our plays, but the beginning and middle.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
If the Rangers had lost game 1, but won last night is the reaction here the same? Carolina is good, they were never sweeping the series.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
That's a downer. Sorry it works that way for you. Absolutely NO sarcasm in that. I mean, I get discouraged, but I don't suffer like that.

I'm just in a low as a fan right now. As recently as Friday I was at a high. I'm just tired of getting disappointed every year. Three straight collapses is just something I can't handle.

KevinFinnerty

I bomb atomically...
Mar 7, 2020
St.Augustine
Someone is going to have to take Jordan Staal out of the Play a little bit better, deny that line the puck, make them play in their end. it's time to hit them with aggression and cycling for game 6.

I'm just in a low as a fan right now. As recently as Friday I was at a high. I'm just tired of getting disappointed every year. Three straight collapses is just something I can't handle.
It won't happen this team is not losing 4 in a row.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Most limp dicked performance sure game 7 against NJ.

The ending will be the sane, we’re losing in 7.

I’d bet my life on it.
How old are you? Hope you are like at least 88 with not a whole lot to live for. I'd bet my LIFE that this indeed IS a 7 game series. Whether it goes 7, is a totally different story.
Seems many here haven't watched all 82+ games and haven't learned a thing about this years team. I simply cannot fathom this team will go OUT this way. All year, they have found a way, and dug deep down when they were at specific low points.

During the game, I remember ONE key penalty that wasn't called. The obvious hook on Panarin in the offensive zone. I do forget whether it was 1-0 or tied, but wish they would have called that (as they should have), for me that was a turning point. We sucked and we all know it, but that pissed me off, amongst othe NON-calls that they chose to let go.

I don't normally complain about the reffing, because they AND the league does what they do. They wanted a longer series, NOW they have that. I believe that, BUT now this is getting serious and it needs to be called fairly. I mean, when, when, when freaking when do WE EVER get a distinct manpower advantage? On the road is one thing, but we RARELY have any kind of home ice advantage when it comes to penalties. We NEVER get the benefit of the doubt. What about a 10 second too many men, that they MISSED? Pathetic.

Now I know why Wennberg is a "pass first" player. Because he has no clue, where the NET is.

Also, people here continuously trash Lindy and want him gone. Regardless of his lack of speed and lack of offensive prowess, does everyone realize that he logs major minutes on the PK and is a HUGE reason as to WHY our PK is as good as it is? Yeah, it's Zibby, Kreids and Fox that gets a lot of the credit but Lindy deserves more respect here than given.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
My wife and I always practice gratitude and manifest abundance. Yesterday, we said thank you for your service to our drip coffee maker. The Cuisinart had a good run. Now we have a Braun. No, it's not related to Justin Braun.
Does she also help you manifest an abundance of scantily clad Emily in the bedroom at night?

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
Does she also help you manifest an abundance of scantily clad Emily in the bedroom at night?

With her starched white shirt, she dressed too Puritan (no relation to Dale Purinton) last night, and I blame her for the loss. It didn't manifest a whole lot.

Reactions: Chytilmania and Ail

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
Is your wife an influencer? Are you? lol
Neither of us is. But ever since that f***ing Progressive insurance (of which I have for my car) commercial and then looking up the terms to understand wtf they are, I cannot stop saying it or thinking about it. Yes, I am thinking about manifesting abundance, which itself is thinking. My wife actually says thank you for your service a lot, but we didn't know the technical term was practicing gratitude lol. I think she got it from watching Marie Kondo.

• Haha
Reactions: Megustaelhockey

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I reassess it all the time. It's my drug. I'll be honest I really wish I could quit it and spend my time more productively. There's very little reward and the anger I get at this franchise is not consistent with how happy I am when they win. Rationally speaking I wouldn't watch a minute of this garbage franchise and the Giants. But I'm basically a drug addict. I'm addicted to this team. I hate watch them at this point.
I, like @bhamill empathize with you and your feelings. Surely you probably understand that you are probably NOT alone. It's my drug as well, actually my preferred drug. Some, you can do without, some you cannot. This is what works for me, (and I'm not a rookie fan.....talking 50 years here) If you start with the FACT that there is only ONE winner, when all is said and done.
Backtrack to......just wanting desperately that they MAKE the PO's (anything can happen, right?)
Then I guess it's just taking one series at a time (kind of like one step at a time, similar to AA) yes, I am an alcoholic, lol.
They win any given series, it's an amazing finishing off type "high", and on to the next series.
In my lifetime, eventually they LOSE (with exception to the 93/94 team)
But here's the key.........it's all about the ride, the ride of emotions, the ups and the downs.

being a FAN means something more to me than to others. Taking the good with the bad, not backstabbing my team every chance I get. Supporting them the best way I can (regardless that they don't know me from Adam (Edstrom)
Trust me, when all is said and done and WHEN they win the elusive Stanley Cup, YOU.....YOU.....FEEL LIKE YOU DESERVE it, that special feeling that your team is the best!

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This would be the first collapse.

I wouldn't wipe my ass with a 2-0 lead and people should know better, sorry.

Multiple 2-0 leads get "blown" every year. It's nothing.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
That being said, we didn't even get to that bridge yet because the '84 Oilers would get outplayed by Carolina 5v5. It's just their style. They're a very good team and they have areas to exploit playing the way they do, like anybody else.
The '84 Oilers would have had a Dave Semenko or someone else light Aho or Svechnikov up.

It's also possible that this Carolina team would outshoot the '84 Oilers 44-22, but the Oilers win the game 7-4.

Also, if the Carolina point men don't get the continually lucky bounces off clearing attempts, the Oilers might do them up in double digits while barely controlling the puck.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Of course not.

People are reacting the way they are because of the specter of blowing a 3-0 lead.

I think everyone understands that we're in a good position in the series.
This was the worst game they've played since like the beginning of April and people are losing their minds.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
The '84 Oilers would have had a Dave Semenko or someone else light Aho or Svechnikov up.

It's also possible that this Carolina team would outshoot the '84 Oilers 44-22, but the Oilers win the game 7-4.

Also, if the Carolina point men don't get the continually lucky bounces off clearing attempts, the Oilers might do them up in double digits while barely controlling the puck.
I saw your location and always wondered, do the Canes have fans in parts of NC outside the Triangle? Charlotte, Asheville, W-S, Wilmington, etc?

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
It took me until December/January to really get into this season. Between the collapse and Lavi signing I didn’t want to get emotionally invested. This would be a huge blow because I went from not being interested to Stanley Cup aspirations.

IRL and business I don’t let myself ride the emotional rollercoaster. But every year the Jets and Rangers reel me in to drop me off the top of the ride.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
Carolina blew a 2-0 lead to us two years ago, when they were much better and we were worse

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
How old are you? Hope you are like at least 88 with not a whole lot to live for. I'd bet my LIFE that this indeed IS a 7 game series. Whether it goes 7, is a totally different story.
Seems many here haven't watched all 82+ games and haven't learned a thing about this years team. I simply cannot fathom this team will go OUT this way. All year, they have found a way, and dug deep down when they were at specific low points.

During the game, I remember ONE key penalty that wasn't called. The obvious hook on Panarin in the offensive zone. I do forget whether it was 1-0 or tied, but wish they would have called that (as they should have), for me that was a turning point. We sucked and we all know it, but that pissed me off, amongst othe NON-calls that they chose to let go.

I don't normally complain about the reffing, because they AND the league does what they do. They wanted a longer series, NOW they have that. I believe that, BUT now this is getting serious and it needs to be called fairly. I mean, when, when, when freaking when do WE EVER get a distinct manpower advantage? On the road is one thing, but we RARELY have any kind of home ice advantage when it comes to penalties. We NEVER get the benefit of the doubt. What about a 10 second too many men, that they MISSED? Pathetic.

Now I know why Wennberg is a "pass first" player. Because he has no clue, where the NET is.

Also, people here continuously trash Lindy and want him gone. Regardless of his lack of speed and lack of offensive prowess, does everyone realize that he logs major minutes on the PK and is a HUGE reason as to WHY our PK is as good as it is? Yeah, it's Zibby, Kreids and Fox that gets a lot of the credit but Lindy deserves more respect here than given.
Lindy definitely lacks offensive prowess but the guy is not a slow skater. As a matter of fact, he's well above average skating both forward and backwards. It's just his hands that are lacking, not his feet.

Reactions: Larrybiv
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad