Post-Game Talk: Game 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
I beg to differ… I believe we came off two tough 7 game series and Tampa was flat out the better team that year. In game 7 against NJ we did not compete for an inch of ice, it looked like the team legit quit.
We'll agree to disagree.....

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Yeah but this is a 3-0 lead .

How many teams in the 100 year history of the league have blown it?

Per @Amazing Kreiderman who put this on Twitter.

GNgNGO1WIAAqyId.png

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
This is the sport played at it's highest level... greatest amount of pressure will show the cracks in any team. This core is suspect to not being able to finish. We are seeing now, what many have seen all season long with this core, and the year before, etc.

The core is talented, and creative, but lack the will to finish. The "x-factor" players take games off at the most critical times. The 2nd overall is severely underplaying. The bargain bin acquisitions by the GM are coming back to bite them now. Not enough role players. Not enough physicality on defense.

If they have to play and LOSE a game 7, changes most certainly need to be made to address this line up.
Inevitable. Need them to win the Cup, so they can get MAX return "because these players" have been a part of.
Isn't that what a team like Tampa did?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

The 13 series where the team still won after going W-W-W-L-L are:

1973 MTL vs BUF
1977 BOS vs LAK
1980 NYI vs BUF
1988 MTL vs HFD
2001 NJD vs CAR
2004 SJS vs COL
2008 DAL vs SJS
2008 DET vs DAL
2012 PHI vs PIT
2012 LAK vs NJD
2015 MTL vs OTT
2015 TBL vs MTL
2016 WSH vs PHI
2023 VGK vs DAL

5 times has the team won in 7

1939 BOS vs NYR
1945 TOR vs DET
1975 PHI vs NYI
2011 VAN vs CHI
2011 SJS vs DET

4 times has the team lost in 7

1942 DET vs TOR
1975 PIT vs NYI
2010 BOS vs PHI
2014 SJS vs LAK

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I saw your location and always wondered, do the Canes have fans in parts of NC outside the Triangle? Charlotte, Asheville, W-S, Wilmington, etc?
Not really. The fanbase is in predominantly the Triangle out to Greensboro. There's no statewide radio network, even the radio itself is just a simulcast of the TV broadcast. They are the only NHL team that doesn't release the TV numbers. Also, a significant number of their fans are secondary Hurricanes fans. Because a lot of people are from somewhere else, their fans are actually Bruins, Leafs, Hawks, Penguins, Wings, Devils, Piles, Rangers, Flyers, Sabres, etc. fans who are Hurricanes fans otherwise. In all seriousness, if they have more than 150,000 actual fans, I'd be very surprised.

When the Charlotte Checkers were the AHL affiliate, there were a few more, but it wasn't a widespread thing.

Here in Charlotte, there are probably more people that follow hockey that dislike them than like them. My daughter's strength and conditioning coach at school is from "rural" New Jersey. He's a Devils fan but HATES the Hurricanes. He's rooting for the Rangers this series believe it or not.

Now in Raleigh, the Panthers and the Hornets aren't followed all that much either.

Now, if the Hurricanes were to beat the Rangers and get to the Final, this state being very bandwagon in its sports fandom, will have the state behind them. Come September, only the actual fans will care about the 2024-25 season.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Lindy definitely lacks offensive prowess but the guy is not a slow skater. As a matter of fact, he's well above average skating both forward and backwards. It's just his hands that are lacking, not his feet.
Hmmm, for some reason (to me) he seems slow. Maybe his skating style, IDK. Regardless, I just don't care for people bashing him like they do. If the rest of the team had the HEART that he does, we'd be much better off.

Last edited:

Graves97

Jan 16, 2014
It's the playoffs. The officiating is going to be inconsistent. I agree with you but I'm not going to be that fan that sits here and blames the refs. They're letting them play. The Rangers have to do more to force them to call penalties. They'll call the obvious ones but they're not going to call the ticky tacky stuff in a series as tight as this, particularly with how one-sided the special teams play has been
I guess breaking your stick over someone's back or PKing w/ 5 guys is ticky tacky, but god forbid Rempe come within a few inches of Anderson. Refs act as if he's McSorley, Bertuzzi, Simon, and Cooke all rolled into one. Not attacking your take at all as I agree with most of it, just feel like the refs have been letting Carolina get away with more than the ticky tacky stuff.

Reactions: NCRanger

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
Inevitable. Need them to win the Cup, so they can get MAX return "because these players" have been a part of.
Isn't that what a team like Tampa did?
IMO the Rangers' core is not a patch on the ass of Tampa's core. I'd put Igor right up there with Vasilevsky but Kuch>Bread, Stamkos>Mika, Sergachev and Hedman>Fox, Point>Troch, Cirelli>Kreider. And I'm basing all of these comps on cumulative track record, not of the moment.

I note that Trouba is not mentioned because I don't think he is in the same class as the three defensive players above. The Rangers have a #1 defenseman but after Fox it's a bunch of replaceable parts (depending on how you see Miller, I think he'd be a better wing).

Plus TB has done a better job putting depth behind the stars, on balance. They don't have a first round pick for the next millennia but who cares they have two cups and based on where they finish in the standings the picks aren't exactly worth a lot anyway.

In the cold light of day Drury and Laviolette have done a hell of a job to get this crew as far as they have. I think they've maxed out this crew's potential; even if they get through CAR do they really have a shot against any of FLA, COL, DAL, EDM or VAN? I don't think so.....all of those teams can put points on the board really fast 5 v 5 and relying on Igor and ST just won't work and frankly is a shitty strategy anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
Hmmm, for some reason (to me) he seems slow. Maybe his skating style, IDK. Regardless, IO just don't cvare for people bashing hium like ghey do. If the rest of the team had the HEART that he does, we'd be much better off.
The guy has become a key cog on every team he has ever played on. Made a decent amount of money in this league. Coaches trust him. And to think, he's done that with zero offensive ability and being on the small size. If you added slow onto that resume, I don't think he's playing at this level, lol.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida

The 13 series where the team still won after going W-W-W-L-L are:

1973 MTL vs BUF
1977 BOS vs LAK
1980 NYI vs BUF
1988 MTL vs HFD
2001 NJD vs CAR
2004 SJS vs COL
2008 DAL vs SJS
2008 DET vs DAL
2012 PHI vs PIT
2012 LAK vs NJD
2015 MTL vs OTT
2015 TBL vs MTL
2016 WSH vs PHI
2023 VGK vs DAL

5 times has the team won in 7

1939 BOS vs NYR
1945 TOR vs DET
1975 PHI vs NYI
2011 VAN vs CHI
2011 SJS vs DET

4 times has the team lost in 7

1942 DET vs TOR
1975 PIT vs NYI
2010 BOS vs PHI
2014 SJS vs LAK

So, we should ALL take solace that Vegas had quite the scare vs Dallas last year, put on their big boy pants and continued on to win the Cup. I'm okay with that, thanks my man. I was fine prior to (not thrilled) but surely we shouldn't be panicking the way many are.
Rather be UP 3-2, then down 3-2. Simple as that, now they need to dress properly with the right set of pants.

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
So, we should ALL take solace that Vegas had quite the scare vs Dallas last year, put on their big boy pants and continued on to win the Cup. I'm okay with that, thanks my man. I was fine prior to (not thrilled) but surely we shouldn't be panicking the way many are.
Rather be UP 3-2, then down 3-2. Simple as that, now they need to dress properly with the right set of pants.
Okay, sure but that was Vegas. The Rangers don't have those players. They have players that have a, shall we say, checkered history when it comes to performing in big spots.

I go back to the Devils series last year. Just a touch of adversity and the entire team shit itself and folded like a bad Hold 'em hand. This is the same group of guys and what do you know the behavioral pattern is repeating itself almost verbatim. When the Igor/ST/hold 'em off at 5 v 5 schtick stops working they don't know what to do.

If you go back and watch Lavi's postgame presser last night he was yes frustrated but I think also mystified at the team's response. Like the utter lack of effort and third period AWOL was something that he had not seen in all the years of his coaching experience. I bet way down deep it slightly terrified him.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Kreider and Trocheck's post game comments infuriate me.

Kreider: "If you told us in the beginning of the year we'd be up 3-2 on the 3rd place team in the league we'd be thrilled"

It's not the beginning of the year Chris and you were up 3-0 on them. How about having a killer instinct one time? You don't HAVE to just barely eek out wins, you're allowed to try and impose your will on the game.

Trocheck "They're a good team, they were only 3 points behind us in a record breaking season."

Why are you looking at regular season records still? Why are you giving the opponent so much deference? You should be thinking these guys suck we need to step on their throats, why give them that much respect?

Comments like this are what seriously worry me about the core.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Kreider and Trocheck's post game comments infuriate me.

Kreider: "If you told us in the beginning of the year we'd be up 3-2 on the 3rd place team in the league we'd be thrilled"

It's not the beginning of the year Chris and you were up 3-0 on them. How about having a killer instinct one time? You don't HAVE to just barely eek out wins, you're allowed to try and impose your will on the game.

Trocheck "They're a good team, they were only 3 points behind us in a record breaking season."

Why are you looking at regular season records still? Why are you giving the opponent so much deference? You should be thinking these guys suck we need to step on their throats, why give them that much respect?

Comments like this are what seriously worry me about the core.
Some of the worst post-game quotes I’ve ever heard I swear

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
A more relevant question would be how many teams have partially blown a 3-0 lead down to 3-2, and then reference that against the 4 teams that have come all the way back.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I wonder if the whole team is coming down with whatever Chytil woke up with the other day. I mean they were all at dinner, practice, etc. together

At least there would be a reason, kinda

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I haven't listened to post-game comments since Roy told JR he had his Cup rings in his ears.

Maybe coaches.

I don't care what players say.

Chris Kreider is my favorite player and I don't think I could tell you what his voice sounds like.

Watch something else. Frasier is good.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
I haven't listened to post-game comments since Roy told JR he had his Cup rings in his ears.

Maybe coaches.

Chris Kreider is my favorite player and I don't think I could tell you what his voice sounds like.

If you're going to hear his voice, it should at least be in a fluff piece.

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008

Maybe coaches.

His voice is less nasal than Rod's.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

If you're going to hear his voice, it should at least be in a fluff piece.

This is just as relevant to the series as the cans he handed to the media.

It's like hearing "upper body injury" and taking that completely seriously.

We have no idea what's actually going on.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
This is just as relevant to the series as the cans he handed to the media.

It's like hearing "upper body injury" and taking that completely seriously.

We have no idea what's actually going on.
The point is he sounds like a very nice young man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad