Post-Game Talk: Game 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I don't care if you think they suck. They probably do suck.

I suck too. What am I good at? Posting on HF. And there's still four people ahead of me.

My whole thing is, as soon as things get tough, this board always defaults to questioning their mentality and desire. Which is objectively stupid because it ignores the wins. Like, Carolina is down in this series. By the same logic, aren't they soft and lazy for letting that happen?

Every fanbase does this to an extent, but this board really does it, and I don't understand it. It's a weird thing to be obsessed with.

It's just a game, at the end of the day. It has nothing to do with their fortitude, or much less your's, since people seem to take this so personally.

It's not about negativity. It's about the personal attacks get thrown at the team after every loss.

I really don't think a lot of you understand what it takes to play ten levels below the NHL, let alone in the NHL.

Aside from maybe a couple of weeks off in the summer, these guys do nothing but hockey every single day.

People talk shit about them being millionaires, and yeah, maybe it's a bit much, but part of it is because it's such a challenging job. You clock in at 14 and if you're lucky enough, you clock out at 38. It's a 20+ year shift.

I don't question fandom. I believe that every single one of us wants it just as much, but believe me, the team is right there.
Couldnt agree more

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
nobody questioned their mentality after game 4. They lost in a way that hockey teams lose when they play an evenly matched opponent in the playoffs. No one felt entitled to a 4 game sweep.

the way they played in game 5 was so bad, so lifeless, thats where the questions come from. And it does't help that it looks eerily similar to how they played against New Jersey in games 5 and 7 last year.
I think it's ok to question some issues when the lone goal was from Trouba & SH at that.

I think it's also OK to question what their mindset or gas tanks (they've played less games than any other team in the POs) were in that 3rd period because that was hideous.

I think we all know the effort they put in. So does every other team / player. The point is to dig down & find something & in this case they didn't come close to what their opponents found.

We'll see what they have Thurs.
Ok, it was fine in game 4, maybe it'll be fine Thursday.

What do you think happened in between? They just f***in forgot??

If they were that poor at handling adversity, they would have won 12 games this year.

"They lost game 4 in a way that hockey teams lose." Guys, they lost game 5 in a way that hockey teams lose.

They just had a garbage game.

Every team in the playoffs has had an ass ugly loss aside from Carolina.

Vegas came home with a 2-0 lead and lost the series - they just won the Cup. Everyone's scared of Florida - they got f***ing SMOKED in the Stanley Cup Finals. It was most lopsided Final since expansion. The Carolina team that found so much last night dropped a 2-0 lead to us in 2022 and got swept in 2023. So are they headcases or not? I don't know, it doesn't seem like something like that would go on and off. If you don't have the mentality for this league, you don't have it.

It seems more likely that everyone has bad losses sometimes. Seeing it as normal for other teams to lose and a tragedy when the Rangers lose just speaks to living in a Rangers bubble and taking it as an attack on your manhood when the hockey team loses.

Like, seriously, it's unhealthy.

And the way people just can't wait to call it out feels unsupportive. You're hate watching this team. Do something else.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC

If they were that poor at handling adversity, they would have won 12 games this year.

"They lost game 4 in a way that hockey teams lose." Guys, they lost game 5 in a way that hockey teams lose.

Vegas came home with a 2-0 lead and lost the series - they just won the Cup. Everyone's scared of Florida - they got f***ing SMOKED in the Stanley Cup Finals. It was most lopsided Final since expansion. The Carolina team that found so much last night dropped a 2-0 lead to us in 2022 and got swept in 2023. So are they headcases or not? I don't know, it doesn't seem like something like that would go on and off. If you don't have the mentality for this league, you don't have it.

It seems more likely that everyone has bad losses sometimes. Seeing it as normal for other teams to lose and a tragedy when the Rangers lose just speaks to living in a Rangers bubble and taking it as an attack on your manhood when the hockey team loses.

And the way people just can't wait to call it out feels unsupportive. You're hate watching this team. Do something else.
Excellent post.

Reactions: Machinehead

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle

Hey, if it was a one off, great. I'll guess we'll see.

As far as your last line, I dunno... I've seen you post a lot worse things over the years.

Personally, I didn't say they were a shit team or anything, I just think it's ok to question what was going on Mon in front of their hometown crowd.

Reactions: bl02

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
I'm mildly nervous. I'm not panicking. I'll panic if they're losing heading into the 3rd period of Game 7. We're not there right now.

Canes could win this series. Rangers could win this series. Both teams were really good this year. Canes definitely are capable of winning the next two games. Rangers are capable of winning Game 6 as well.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm sorry but coaches are not miracle workers. 4 days ago people were blaming Rod and planning for him to be let go if the Canes lose. Now 4 days later Rod is back to being a great coach and now Lavi is bad? Not buying it. Both Rod and Lavi are both very good coaches.

If your team is so mentally weak and unprepared that they get reverse swept that's on you.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

I don't care if you think they suck. They probably do suck.

I suck too. What am I good at? Posting on HF. And there's still four people ahead of me.

My whole thing is, as soon as things get tough, this board always defaults to questioning their mentality and desire. Which is objectively stupid because it ignores the wins. Like, Carolina is down in this series. By the same logic, aren't they soft and lazy for letting that happen?

Every fanbase does this to an extent, but this board really does it, and I don't understand it. It's a weird thing to be obsessed with.

It's just a game, at the end of the day. It has nothing to do with their fortitude, or much less your's, since people seem to take this so personally.

It's not about negativity. It's about the personal attacks get thrown at the team after every loss.

I really don't think a lot of you understand what it takes to play ten levels below the NHL, let alone in the NHL.

Aside from maybe a couple of weeks off in the summer, these guys do nothing but hockey every single day.

People talk shit about them being millionaires, and yeah, maybe it's a bit much, but part of it is because it's such a challenging job. You clock in at 14 and if you're lucky enough, you clock out at 38. It's a 20+ year shift.

I don't question fandom. I believe that every single one of us wants it just as much, but believe me, the team is right there.

That's what really nails it.

Years ago, we were playing a pick up game at Superior Ice Rink on the island. And an NHL player who shall remain nameless walked on and played with us. He was considered somewhat of a "goon" - employed more for toughness and fisticuffs than anything else.

This f***ing guy ran circles around us, sniped corners, and was so freaking good our jaws were hanging open for an hour+. And this was the "worst" the NHL had to offer and this was 30 years ago - the players are SO much better now it's not even funny.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hey, if it was a one off, great. I'll guess we'll see.

As far as your last line, I dunno... I've seen you post a lot worse things over the years.

Personally, I didn't say they were a shit team or anything, I just think it's ok to question what was going on Mon in front of their hometown crowd.
I say they suck all the time and I have no problem with that.

I would rather you just say they're a shit team. It's weird to think I would more offended by that, not less.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The funny thing is @Machinehead says Carolina hasn't had one of those crappy games. I'd argue they had two this series. Game 1 they did nothing, they didn't look any better than us yesterday offensively (though better at 5 on 5 D) and guess what game 4. Sure they shot their you know what in the first period but their defense looked like we were playing the San Jose Sharks. We should have won that game 5-3. They were there to be had but of course they missed every empty net known to man.

Reactions: NikC

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
The biggest, hell really the only, problem I have with this is that I admitted to a bunch of friends of mine immediately following game three that I was starting to have hope. 7-0 in the playoffs didn’t feel real and this team felt different enough that the whole Ranger fan PTSD waiting for the other shoe to drop faded away a bit.

I picked the Rangers in 6 before the series. I’ll stick with that. This is a resilient bunch.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The funny thing is @Machinehead says Carolina hasn't had one of those crappy games. I'd argue they had two this series. Game 1 they did nothing, they didn't look any better than us yesterday offensively (though better at 5 on 5 D) and guess what game 4. Sure they shot their you know what in the first period but their defense looked like we were playing the San Jose Sharks. We should have won that game 5-3. They were there to be had but of course they missed every empty net known to man.
They weren't great in those games but I wouldn't say either of those games were legit stinkers.

We just got blown away in the third. It was the worst period by either team.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The biggest, hell really the only, problem I have with this is that I admitted to a bunch of friends of mine immediately following game three that I was starting to have hope. 7-0 in the playoffs didn’t feel real and this team felt different enough that the whole Ranger fan PTSD waiting for the other shoe to drop faded away a bit.

I picked the Rangers in 6 before the series. I’ll stick with that. This is a resilient bunch.
You had the hope before that, you just didn't want to admit it. It's understandable. The field wins the Cup 99% of the time.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

I thought, wow maybe this is what the team looks like when Mika gives a shit. Now no one gives a shit. Literally no one. And I know people will say they care but the effort level is miniscule compared to what it was. One thing you could never say about Carolina was that their effort sucked. You can say that about the Rangers.

You had the hope before that, you just didn't want to admit it. It's understandable. The field wins the Cup 99% of the time.

15/16 is 94%, lol. Which is still less than the odds of holding on to a 3-0 series lead.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
My biggest concern is Fox, I think that injury he sustained against WSH was the same knee as his previous one that has left him wearing a knee brace this season. He got burned several times last game and is barely mobile at this point
He's slower than Wheeler. He's our slowest skater by far.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

They haven’t had a game like the Rangers did yesterday.

They have a few of these every year. They haven’t had the obligatory Andersen shits his pants game either. That also happens every year, sometimes several times.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

If your team is so mentally weak and unprepared that they get reverse swept that's on you.
Okay you are now the coach. How do you make sure the team is as mentally strong as you think they should be? There are a lot of good coaches in the Hall Of Fame that have been swept. Nobody has been swept after winning 3 games but plenty after winning the first 2 games.

BlueShirtGal

It's Hurricane season!
May 19, 2014
Federal Way, WA
A thought for now lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0345.jpeg
    IMG_0345.jpeg
    196.2 KB · Views: 2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad