Post-Game Talk: Game 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Procrastinator

Aug 7, 2005
You're hugely overrating his ability at this time.

He's an intriguing prospect but right now, he doesn't have the aptitude to play the game you're describing. He's a 4th liner.
No no. I’m not expecting krieder types of deflections. I’m not expecting magical hands. But to stand in front of the net and be a huge pain in the ass of the goalie and having defense men trying to clear him out and potentially taking penalties to do so, he is than capable of doing that.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
No no. I’m not expecting krieder types of deflections. I’m not expecting magical hands. But to stand in front of the net and be a huge pain in the ass of the goalie and having defense men trying to clear him out and potentially taking penalties to do so, he is than capable of doing that.
They wouldn't clear him out. He has TWO GOALS!!!!

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
I think I'm right in the middle of the doomers and people that are "too relaxed". We're still up in this series, but this situation reeks of the last two years of taking decent leads in a series in just pissing it away.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

OriginalLimbo

May 27, 2019
… The rest depends on desire, will, and execution.
Maybe it’s just a difference in definitions, but IMO, the latter is way more of a differentiator than the 2 former. I am sure there are some out there that ho-hum it. But, at this level, and with these stakes, I think almost all players have the drive/desire/will/etc. To me, the bigger issue is controlling it.

Take PANARIN. I have no doubt he wants this as much as anyone. But, when PlayoffPanarin shows up, I see a guy that is pressing, overthinking, and dare I say overcaring to a fault. Too many times he does the oppositions job by removing himself mentally and physically from the game by NOT playing his own. With a such skilled player like that, I would much prefer less thinking and more doing. Let that skill shine. But really, that can be said about any player, not just purely skilled ones, that is…off. If that same player gets out of their own head, they maximize their results. Part of that is coaching, both pre and in game, to push those right buttons to just…do it.

Part of that is also just a mentally strong player. Maybe strong is the wrong word, but someone that developed the ability to compartmentalize and to NOT channel that desire and will into useless and self defeating energy. That is why I mentioned the definition part. A case could be made that, included in desire and will is the ability to focus and convert those feelings into positive and maximum results. If that’s the case than…yeah I agree, it is definitely part of the mix.

Or…..maybe throw all that shit out and say it’s luck like 51% of the time, lol.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don't know how anyone in their right mind (okay, maybe not the majority of us) thought that we would sweep this series. Not that we quite probably weren't capable of doing it, but more because we all have spent years following the New York Rangers 😂

To say this is not how we do things, well, I am sure I don't need to remind people that I think Lincoln was in power the last time we actually managed that sort of run through.

Absolutely massive game tomorrow night!

Yeah but this team didn't take 3-0 leads either until this year.

yrrebbor

Jan 21, 2014
New York, NY
Totally random, but I was watching some of the 1994 highlights, and there were far fewer jerseys in the stands than there are today. I don't remember it being like that at all back then.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Reactions: NikC and CLW

OriginalLimbo

May 27, 2019
Totally random, but I was watching some of the 1994 highlights, and there were far fewer jerseys in the stands than there are today. I don't remember it being like that at all back then.
In the famous SCF end of game 7 Messier jumping picture that is also in the Hockey Hall of Fame, if you look above Richter’s left shoulder, 3 rows up, you’ll see me. Wearing light Khaki shorts and a Green shirt with yellowish stripes.

What a dipshit.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Hot take (not really): this is just the LA series where we won all the overtime games instead of losing all the overtime games.

Another hot take, that LA-Chicago series was our LA series but Chicago won one extra OT game. No it wasn't the all time greatest ever while ours was domination like the main boards think.

• Wow
Reactions: Machinehead

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Was just about to post this.

Avery is pretty much 100% spot on here.

We have more somebodies than they do, we need to act like it. They need to be dogs and want to end it. Enough with the 'being content to grind one out', it's time to take it to them.
man i wish we had him/player like him right now.

Reactions: Atax

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
In the famous SCF end of game 7 Messier jumping picture that is also in the Hockey Hall of Fame, if you look above Richter’s left shoulder, 3 rows up, you’ll see me. Wearing light Khaki shorts and a Green shirt with yellowish stripes.

What a dipshit.
I just noticed your avy lol

TheWrongWay

May 7, 2023
New York
That's what really nails it.

Years ago, we were playing a pick up game at Superior Ice Rink on the island. And an NHL player who shall remain nameless walked on and played with us. He was considered somewhat of a "goon" - employed more for toughness and fisticuffs than anything else.

This f***ing guy ran circles around us, sniped corners, and was so freaking good our jaws were hanging open for an hour+. And this was the "worst" the NHL had to offer and this was 30 years ago - the players are SO much better now it's not even funny.

Similar experience years back. But our NHL guy is a 1,000+ point HOF defenseman. Most of us played college and he was in his 50s at the time, a good 20 years older than most of us.

This dude dominated and utterly dismantled us. And it looked like he wasn't playing all that hard.

VERY humbling.

Reactions: haohmaru

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

tense1983-tense.gif

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
that's fine as long as Gus-Schneider plays more than Miller-Trouba but uhhhh i doubt it

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
that's fine as long as Gus-Schneider plays more than Miller-Trouba but uhhhh i doubt it
haha yeah sure.
He's punishing Schneider already for that Staal goal which wasn't even his fault OR he is deluisional to think Trouba has played well.
Only possible excuse is to spread out the pairs because they have last change tomorrow. Even if that is the case how do you "demote" someone who has been probably your best dman these playoffs.

What would you base that on? He never got any time in the nhl. If he was half ready he'd be better than Vanilla Brodz and this current iteration of Vesey.
based on his play the second half of the season in Hartford. Besides his play on the pp he has hardly been noticeable. Needs more time for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad