Get Draisaitl and McDavid some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Was Ray Bourque a bad leader? Arguably the 2nd best D-man in history, and he didn't win a cup until he joined the Avs. Was it his shit leadership, or were his teams not good enough?
Actually thought of Bóurque as the counter argument, lol. Looking at the HOF list and all time scoring it is full of cup winners at the top. Seems these HOFrs could do more than just put up historic points.

There are few teams that go 4 rounds without good leadership.

Drai sounding like a petulant infant cause Silovs bested his team during post gm interviews shows poor leadership when he should have called his team out for their lack of finish.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Sure. Canucks won with all of Demko, De Smith and Silovs. But the Oilers only issue is goaltending.
It’s a combination of poor D and poor goaltending. Has been for years.
Edmonton had 3x as many giveaways and Vancouver laid out more hits and blocked way more shots (23-7).

Goaltending is just the obvious issue because the numbers are so bad.

Tochett is badly out coaching Knoblach.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Edmonton had 3x as many giveaways and Vancouver laid out more hits and blocked way more shots (23-7).

Goaltending is just the obvious issue because the numbers are so bad.

Tochett is badly out coaching Knoblach.
I don’t think it’s a coaching issue. Vancouver has a much more complete roster. No coach is going to fix bad goaltending and bad D.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
The Oilers have a
  • 86 pt defenseman making 3.9 mil.
  • 50 goal scorer making 5.5 mil
  • 67 point wing / center in RNH making 5.25 mil. He also had 100 pts last year.
  • 41 point 3rd line winger in Foegele making 2.75 mil.
What depth exactly are you expecting?

Now do the players who don’t spend time with McDavid. Edmonton doesn’t have depth, they have players who play above where they should because they get time with McDavid

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It’s mainstream for a reason.

Bouchard can score, I’ll give you that. But he’s a shit defenseman. Totally lost when in the D-zone.

He’s a complimentary player that benefits from playing with very high end talent.

Hughes drives play.
Hughes gonna drive play anytime soon or? Meanwhile Bouch completely rock solid defensively as he’s been throughout the year and still putting up generational production.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
He is. And the stats back it up. He is one of the all time greats in the playoffs at this point.

Those stats need context. It is a much higher scoring environment in the last few years other times in the last 30 years.

And needs a at least a Cup final on his resume.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Those stats need context. It is a much higher scoring environment in the last few years other times in the last 30 years.
Draisaitl is second all-time in playoffs PPG, only behind Gretzky. Ahead of Mario Lemieux, for example.

You might want to actually take a look at the scoring environment. Lemieux, for example, was playing during a higher-scoring era than Draisaitl overall, especially when we consider that the scoring has only been especially high for the past couple of years.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Draisaitl is second all-time in playoffs PPG, only behind Gretzky. Ahead of Mario Lemieux, for example.

You might want to actually take a look at the scoring environment. Lemieux, for example, was playing during a higher-scoring era than Draisaitl overall, especially when we consider that the scoring has only been especially high for the past couple of years.

It's debatable whether Draisaitl is the best playoff performer on his team or of his era let alone all-time. He is there with McDavid, Kucherov and MacKinnon. And of course you cannot ignore the McDavid factor. They are intertwined in production and their stats cannot be viewed in a vacuum.

I doubt many would take Draisaitl over a number of players with lower career PPGs.

Reactions: sanscosm

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
It's debatable whether Draisaitl is the best playoff performer on his team or of his era let alone all-time. He is there with McDavid, Kucherov and MacKinnon. And of course you cannot ignore the McDavid factor. They are intertwined in production and their stats cannot be viewed in a vacuum.

I doubt many would take Draisaitl over a number of players with lower career PPGs.
Oh, is that so?

Crosby, Mackinnon, Kucherov, McDavid.

Who else do you have over Draisatl?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Oh, is that so?

Crosby, Mackinnon, Kucherov, McDavid.

Who else do you have over Draisatl?

I didn't say I would take Mac or Kucherov over Draisaitl, I said it was debatable as opposed to the inference that his PPG puts him above everyone but Wayne.

Since you asked though, of the players since the Wayne/Mario era:

McDavid
Crosby
Malkin (debatable)
probably Jagr
Forsberg
Sakic

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I didn't say I would take Mac or Kucherov over Draisaitl, I said it was debatable as opposed to the inference that his PPG puts him above everyone but Wayne.

McDavid
Crosby
Malkin (debatable)
probably Jagr
Forsberg
Sakic
Pretty elite company. Not sure I'd disagree with any of those

Reactions: sanscosm and daver

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
Picture Edmonton with a goalie on fire like Swayman. They'd be ridiculous to play against
Picture Edmonton playing better even strength hockey to compensate their shitty goalie situation.

With the pp they have scoring isn’t an issue. Preventing goals is.

The biggest thing to help mcd and Drai is in their own hands.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Was Ray Bourque a bad leader? Arguably the 2nd best D-man in history, and he didn't win a cup until he joined the Avs. Was it his shit leadership, or were his teams not good enough?
Ray Bourque had the unenviable task of leading his team into the finals against the Oilers twice when they were in dynasty mode, immediately followed by having to face the Pittsburgh Penguins in the Conference Finals for two years. I don't blame Bourque's leadership for the Bruins inability to beat the Oilers or Penguins, as much as I blame the fact that they weren't the 1980's Oilers or early 1990's Penguins. The best their team was during that period, was when they were facing dynasties headed by generational players.

After that, his teams lost some depth, some of the key veterans started to slow down, and their best forward was completely derailed in his prime with injury. They just weren't a contender at this point.

Last edited:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Well genius, wrong again. Crosby took less than league max, McMuffin didn’t. It’s that simple.
Do you actually not understand how cap hits and the salary cap works? I can send you links explaining it if you want.

I suspect that you actually understand how it works, because it's remarkably simple.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Well genius, wrong again. Crosby took less than league max, McMuffin didn’t. It’s that simple.
You don’t understand how the cap works, it’s okay, one day you’ll figure it out.

Neither of these players took the max, and crosby’s deal was a higher percentage of cap when signed

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Picture Edmonton playing better even strength hockey to compensate their shitty goalie situation.

With the pp they have scoring isn’t an issue. Preventing goals is.

The biggest thing to help mcd and Drai is in their own hands.
Difficult to compare stats between the remaining teams since most teams have a different number of games played, but here's the Rangers since both they and the Oilers are at 9 games.

5 on 5 scoring chances against
Edmonton: 172
NYR: 209

5 on 5 high danger chances against
Edmonton: 74
NYR: 83

5 on 5 shots against
Edmonton: 186
NYR: 221

5 on 5 expected goals against
Edmonton: 17.13
NYR: 19.22

5 on 5 actual goals against
Edmonton: 20
NYR: 16

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

McDavid
Crosby
Malkin (debatable)
probably Jagr
Forsberg
Sakic
Draisaitl in playoffs better than all those guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad