Post-Game Talk: [GM76] Canucks defeat Coyotes | 2-1 (Hughes & Garland) | Garland Revenge Game

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
You seem to forgot that is exactly what happened last time he went through some injuries. Switch went back on and back to 100 pt pace.
Hopium turns to copium turns to ropium.

You’re betting on history repeating itself over and over. SAD

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Hopium turns to copium turns to ropium.

You’re betting on history repeating itself over and over. SAD
He played for us for almost 6 years and this is his 2nd slump… talk about over reacting much.
It’s not like you guys are providing any ground breaking analysis why he is playing like ass. Majority of it it’s the most blend stereotypical sports talk of uhh he’s not trying hard enough, he doesn’t look like he’s in it.
Just look at him, his shot and handles are gone right now and the last time that happen was like 2 years ago. Connect the f***ing dots, it’s not that hard.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Petey reminds me of prime Malkin at times, a tall lanky guy who at stretches would flop all over the ice and look like he couldn't give a f***... but when he channeled his energy right he would be absolutely unstoppable. Haven't seen enough beast mode moments to say he's more conserving energy than just not having it but when the playoffs hit, you wonder if that'll get the extra gear going.
I'm old enough to remember Frank Mahovlich (the Big M) when he was the Leafs star in the 60's. He was a major talent and a major target of the fans and media - lazy, doesn't care enough, etc. Mahovlich spent a few weeks away from the team for treatment of depression. This was something you never admitted to back then, especially not a star athlete. But the Big M found the courage to make it public. He'll probably never know how many people he helped.

Have no idea what Petey is dealing with - be it mental or physical. I hope he gets through it.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Didnt think Pettersson was that bad but he needs to find a way to impact the game when you're one of our star players not just make some good passes. Bobbled pucks and the shot was rather non existent and when he's not on his A game he gets outmuscled and looks sloppy fishing at pucks trying to get it back. Of all the guys i think he could switch it on when post season comes he's that good when motivated.

His body language sucks too often and boy did it piss me off that he just skated to the end boards not even looking at Miller who stood up for him........acted like a pouty child instead of a good teammate. Hope he was just winded.

Hughes and as usual the Miller line carried this team and dug deep. Garland Hughes Miller Joshua who else these days. Silovs was excellent. Imagine he's our back up next season and he looks like he's got a promising future

Hoglander and Boeser is a weird trio with Pettersson. Nobody can really get to the inside that well or is a really good wall player even though nobody is bad they just dont create a lot of problems outside of having high end skills and Hoglander buzzing around creating havoc. Nobody has long speed either so everything is speratic in transition

Boeser's playstyle works better with Miller. it's almost time to re unite them. i actually like what Tocc is attempting to do with them to get the freshness back. I imagine after the road trip they are back together. Great back check by BB6 at the end of the 2nd to thwart a 3 on 2

Man Blueger and Mikhayev are complete wrecks around the net and in Mikhayevs case he was fumbling pucks all over after a good start in the game. Our depth is looking like a hot mess. Glad Suter sat he's been ass for awhile now

Thought Podkolzin was one of the best of that bunch and probably deserved a point or 2 if players could finish some of the possession he created and he wasn't tackled laughably to no penalty in front on that open net.

Soucy's foot speed to the outside was a little scary tonight and last game he had that horrendous play that got Vegas the 2 on 1 early in the 3rd. I like him but he has limitations in bigger minutes.

Hronek has become a nothing threat as well with that shot of his. Not sure what to think of him going forward.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Incoming brain dead Petey takes.

Yes he’s been hot trash the last couple months. The guy is still on pace for 90 points while f***ing around doing jack shit. Gotta relax with the brain dead takes here.
The guy is wildly inconsistent and frequently underwhelms, to the point where you're exclaiming that he's "f***ing around", and you still think it's "brain dead" to hold him accountable for a career's worth of lacklustre play?

I haven't seen such an up-and-down, "I'll play when I feel like it" player since the likes of Yashin and Kovalev. These types are infuriating, especially since they still manage to get their points and tease you with what could be.

Last edited:

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
In general, on 5 on 5 why are the canucks defending Like its the PK.. if they meet teams like colorado or high octane offensive teams. theyre gonna get burned 99 percent of the time. why dont they just agressively challenge the guys and take their time and space away? gonchar and foote has got to change that mentality. i remember when boudreau got on board. his pk was agresssive didnt allow the pp to setup and led to short handed goals/rushes the other way.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Couple things

Petey's chances for and against while he is on the ice have been very much in his lines favour the last couple weeks even though he has been slumping on the score sheet. It's not a get-out-of-jail-free card but the metrics haven't been as bad as the eye test.

Miller jumped right in when Petey got hit. Don't think Miller would react that way if he thought Petey was coasting etc. That hints to me that Millsey knows Petey is playing through something.

When was the last time the Nucks ran an 11/7 foward/D mix? Anyone? Seems like forever.

I think Demmer is eligible to come off LTIR on the 6th. He's back on the ice now. Crossin🤞that goalie crisis is averted and Demmer is ready to make a long run in "bubble-Demko" mode.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
EP is just a really poor skater, and doesn't have the battle to make up for it.

He was brutal in his 3rd and 4th seasons, useless on the PP all last year, and now again has mostly been ass this season, albeit productive early on.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
His play has been terrible for a few months now - this isnt a brain dead take or witchhunt like youre making it out to be.

He just got a 100 million dollar + Canadian dollar contract to play hockey. He doesn’t get months off any more without criticism.

Don’t want the criticism don’t ask for the pay cheque. It’s simple. He wants to be the man now own the role.

I think most people are concerned that he's been hot trash the last couple months+. I think it's fair to talk about

Brain dead Petey take #1

Do points like the one he had today really mean anything.

Meanwhile guys like Garland and Joshua bust their ass every night even though it doesn’t always show up on the scoreboard.

Petey is complete shit right now. He’s paid to be the best forward on the team. He’s nowhere near it. End of story.

The guy is wildly inconsistent and frequently underwhelms, to the point where you're exclaiming that he's "f***ing around", and you still think it's "brain dead" to hold him accountable for a career's worth of lacklustre play?

I haven't seen such an up-and-down, "I'll play when I feel like it" player since the likes of Yashin and Kovalev. These types are infuriating, especially since they still manage to get their points and tease you with what could be.
He had one of the best, if not, the best rookie season this franchise has ever had.

The following year he followed it up by being this teams hardest working player and was showing glimpses of prime Kopitar Selke level of play, went through a couple of growing pains, but was consistent for most of the year.

He followed that season up by being our most trusted and complete forward during the bubble playoffs.

He then had an injury riddled season during the covid shortened gimmicky season where he was playing injured and was shutdown for the year.

He had a terrible 2.5 months the following season after a long contract holdout that caused him to miss some training camp time, this coming from also playing a mere 21 injury riddled games in 18 months.

From late December 2021 through January 2024, he had been on a 105 point pace the entire time, was one of the best 5 on 5 players in the league, was giving us Selke level performances night after night, hadn’t gone more than 3 games without a point, he driving play as a center who elevated his less talented linemates, some who had or paced career years playing alongside him (2nd year Hoglander, Beauvillier, Kuzmenko, rookie year Podkolzin, Mikheyev, Chiasson, etc), finished 7th in Selke votes on a bottom feeding team last season, tied for team lead in goals for 3 seasons and lead for another season. I could go on.

His recent play as of late deserves criticism there’s no argument there. But when I hear “a careers worth of lacklustre play”, “he’s never elevated his linemates”, “he’s never been a play driver”, “he is overpaid” talk, it tells me all I need to know about how much you really don’t know shit about hockey.

Down years happen all the time. Matthews had one last year. Panarin was terrible last season and a complete no show in the playoffs, ask any Rangers fan. Miller was absolute dogshit last season legitimately quitting on plays, being a defensive liability and pouting like a whiny bitch until Tocchet set him on straight.

His play the last couple years warrants him the benefit of the doubt. These braindead takes have gotten far out of hand. His recent level of play is a cause for concern and a talking point, but let’s not completely make shit up with revisionist history.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Petey's body language is just so horrible, it's like he doesn't even want to be out there anymore. I understand frustration and disappointment, but what he's showing out there doesn't look like it, kind of sad.

I wonder if we should stick him between Garland and Joshua, hope their work ethic and hassle will rub off on him. If nothing else at least it will force him to move his damn feet to keep up with them, I hope.
I find it so funny that most of the fan base would be far less critical of him if he swung his stick in frustration like Miller.

Reactions: Indiana

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
You can tell the angst and animosity is bubbling over with the fan base big time. So much redundant analysis.

Playoffs can't come soon enough.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Missed the game but based on the comments, I guess I didn't miss much.

At least the wins are still important to keep top spot in the division and presumably avoid EDM or VGK in the 1st round.

But with only 6 games left, the team isn't exactly "ramping up" and the offense seems to be at a low-point for the season. We are dangerously close to that "flip the switch" territory for the playoffs. Time will tell if this is just a dip that we will come out of, or if we just regressed to where we should be.

[Hopium] Perhaps Demko and Lindholm returning and Petey getting healthy (if he even is injured) will give us the jolt we need.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I hope Suter was injured......because if he was a 'healthy scratch' in favor of a converted defenseman like Friedmann, then it doesn't speak volumes about Tocchet's regard for this player. And dressing a d-man as a forward instead of PDG, doesn't make much sense either.

But I suppose the 'positives' right now is that everybody on the roster is getting some action down the stretch. They might need all of that depth if they go anywhere in the playoffs.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
It’s becoming quite clear that Petey is injured and the negativity in here is off the scale.

He took a pretty soft hit against the Ducks at the weekend and I’m sure you could see him wincing shortly afterwards. He’s not shooting and it’s one of his biggest weapons, which suggests it’s the wrist to me.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Just as long as you realise that it being related to motivation is ENTIRELY your own invention with zero proof.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I dunno guys… EP is 25 years old, he hasn’t peaked yet, he’s got more room to grow. I get we’re upset that he isn’t presently playing to potential, but young players go through peaks and valleys, he still needs to figure out how to step it up when things get more intense. I’m confident he will get there, and in the interim, he’s still a phenomenal player.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
He had one of the best, if not, the best rookie season this franchise has ever had.

The following year he followed it up by being this teams hardest working player and was showing glimpses of prime Kopitar Selke level of play, went through a couple of growing pains, but was consistent for most of the year.

He followed that season up by being our most trusted and complete forward during the bubble playoffs.

He then had an injury riddled season during the covid shortened gimmicky season where he was playing injured and was shutdown for the year.

He had a terrible 2.5 months the following season after a long contract holdout that caused him to miss some training camp time, this coming from also playing a mere 21 injury riddled games in 18 months.

From late December 2021 through January 2024, he had been on a 105 point pace the entire time, was one of the best 5 on 5 players in the league, was giving us Selke level performances night after night, hadn’t gone more than 3 games without a point, he driving play as a center who elevated his less talented linemates, some who had or paced career years playing alongside him (2nd year Hoglander, Beauvillier, Kuzmenko, rookie year Podkolzin, Mikheyev, Chiasson, etc), finished 7th in Selke votes on a bottom feeding team last season, tied for team lead in goals for 3 seasons and lead for another season. I could go on.

His recent play as of late deserves criticism there’s no argument there. But when I hear “a careers worth of lacklustre play”, “he’s never elevated his linemates”, “he’s never been a play driver”, “he is overpaid” talk, it tells me all I need to know about how much you really don’t know shit about hockey.

Down years happen all the time. Matthews had one last year. Panarin was terrible last season and a complete no show in the playoffs, ask any Rangers fan. Miller was absolute dogshit last season legitimately quitting on plays, being a defensive liability and pouting like a whiny bitch until Tocchet set him on straight.

His play the last couple years warrants him the benefit of the doubt. These braindead takes have gotten far out of hand. His recent level of play is a cause for concern and a talking point, but let’s not completely make shit up with revisionist history.
lol...Matthews has been a complete 'no show' for the Laffs in the post-season. Him and the other "M" on the Laffs. **** them both (not EP but the other "M" on the Laffs).:nod:

Feb 20, 2013
Getting the vibe that EP was pressured by the media and fans in to signing his contract and he doesn’t even want to be here.

Piss poor body language. Horrible leadership on display.

If his body language is so piss poor, then why did he have the highest game score of any forward (on either team) last night? Why is he producing points at the 19th best rate in the league at 5 on 5 this season?

Classic case of a player who gets criticized just because he expects himself to win every puck battle, and looks dejected when he doesn't.

I agree he has another level (from elite to unplayable), but to say he has been bad is ludicrous. I assume we will see that in the postseason. Don't forget he was an absolute monster in the bubble playoffs.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Don’t you have “let’s try and trade Quinn Hughes for Owen Power” proposals to make?
Not today. I’m spending the day on the river at my resort.

Attachments

• IMG_5640.jpeg
    IMG_5640.jpeg
    352 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5642.jpeg
    IMG_5642.jpeg
    431.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Haha
Reactions: Luongos Knob

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
82 games is a long schedule and we are hoping for a lot more games after. I have zero problem with a team coasting a bit through a game to a bottom feeder.

This team has actually had a better record than I thought they could pull off without Demko.

My main concern is the PP. They will desperately need a solid PP in the post season. And too often it just looks like they are getting outworked there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad