Post-Game Talk: Gonna Stu on this loss for a while

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not sure if mentioned, but found it funny that Spec was defending Leon's comments from last night's post-game comments.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
What's hilarious, I got endlessly mocked by people like @Stoneman89 for wanting to trade Kane before the season started because he isn't the player he used to be. It was argued "he will turn it on in the playoffs, you need him in the playoffs" where is he? Outside of the 1 game in LA- he has been a ghost

I said Nurse and Ceci were a disaster (like many on here). I said Foegele should have been moved. These players are what they are. Quite a few folks on here mock analytics but they show trends that you can draw conclusions from. This list doesn't surprise me at all.

Too be fair Kane has hit 3 posts this series alone and hit another last night. If those are half an inch the other way they are goals. I’m not as concerned with most of our top 9 as many here. They have had terrible puck luck. I mean we hit six posts last night again. Silov is getting pretty lucky that way it seems. That being said close calls only go so far so I understand the frustration. The reality is we need a godamned save too.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Team wise they tip toe'd into the game again. They weren't ready for war at first puck drop.

A vicious cycle with the Oilers historically. A team that absolutely can't deal with it's own success. The first sign of victory it's feat up. Just not the sign of a mature team that's all on board unfortunately.

Goaltending wise it's pretty much the same thing. Skinner can't make big saves. He doesn't give up any cheeser's really. But his Grade A save percentage has to be pretty poor. Got yer back had a great line that pretty much describes Skinner. He doesn't pull any goals out of your net.

I feel for a lot of players on this team as there's a bout 5-7 players really letting the rest down.

Kane
RNH
Perry
McLeod
Nurse
Ceci
Foegle

They've all hurt the team more then they've helped the team this series. That's rough and tough thing to admit. Combine that with goaltending that may be historic poor. I really feel for the other 12 or so players that are out there fighting for every inch.

It's the toughest time of the season and the Oilers only have 2/3 buy in imo.

Don't think this is fair view of game. Oilers had one bad shift to start game. Then took off from there. They quickly got a PP off a trip on Drai and scored on the PP. They then had 2-3 other scoring chances and nearly went up 2-0.

Then NHL game management took over and hit the Oilers with a completely fictional interference call on Drai, ironically, who along with McD has been interfered with 50X in this series. It was as if the NHL was mocking with this penalty call. Drai of course was livid and even mild mannered KK. Of course Nucks score on PP and it changes the whole dynamic of the game which had the look of the Oilers piling on a lead, to giving the Nucks life and a reset and a tie game. Nucks then get another completely fictional penalty call for a PP and score again. NHL changing the game entirely than the one being played with specious officiating that sought to even up calls at best even while Nucks were committing vast majority of offenses.

During game none more cynical than the matching call after Zadorov is pushing Kane into bench for 15secs. For all that Zad says Kane held his stick so Kane gets a penalty too. Garbage call.

Then the disgrace at the end of the game.

McLeod is not letting the team down. He is our best pk player and at worse is putting up low event EV play. He's not costing us in any way. He would have multiple assists by now but nobody has been cashing.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Too be fair Kane has hit 3 posts this series alone and hit another last night. If those are half an inch the other way they are goals. I’m not as concerned with most of our top 9 as many here. They have had terrible puck luck. I mean we hit six posts last night again. Silov is getting pretty lucky that way it seems. That being said close calls only go so far so I understand the frustration. The reality is we need a godamned save too.
It ain't horseshoes. We don't get goals no matter how many times Kane or Nuge hit posts.

its interesting that Skinner who often had 4 post games in regular season isn't getting any of that in playoffs. Used to regularly occur to me how much luck he had in regular season.

Trouble with luck is does it balance out soon enough? Suspect it will but you never know. The PDO King Canucks won a game where they were outshot 45-18. They were even up 4-2 with SOG 40-15 at one point.

Reactions: iCanada

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
After hearing Skinner's comments today, that he got "caught up in the emotions" just screams that he can't handle the pressure. He just said it. For him to say "he'll learn from it"- isn't something you snap your fingers and all of a sudden you can handle pressure. It takes time and tools required from talking to someone (a trained professional). If I was coach- that's a clear sign of your player telling you it is too much. You cannot play him. He isn't going to be better. The media needs to stop saying he will.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
How are you doubling down on this? Draisaitl 2 uncontested breakaways. McDavid's goal last game - absolutely uncontested breakaway. Had time to slow down and stick handle 5 times before picking his spot.

The notion that only our team gives up these chances is just borderline comedy at this point.
Clearly you arent getting what I am laying down.
Moving on.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He should have seen games this season.

Two Draisaitl breakaways don’t count? Lol

Sure Drai hit a post on one of em. Guess what happened on the other… their goalie made a save.
FFS.
Those were bang bang plays.
I am talking about a player in the lower slot...with all the time in the world...allowed to walk in with no pressure from a defender at all...no sticks in the lane...nothing.
Nothing but time to snipe a shot.
See the difference?
How many of those plays did the Oilers get?
None.

Drai had 2 breakaways
Yeah...I covered this and I also detailed the difference.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Don't think this is fair view of game. Oilers had one bad shift to start game. Then took off from there. They quickly got a PP off a trip on Drai and scored on the PP. They then had 2-3 other scoring chances and nearly went up 2-0.

Then NHL game management took over and hit the Oilers with a completely fictional interference call on Drai, ironically, who along with McD has been interfered with 50X in this series. It was as if the NHL was mocking with this penalty call. Drai of course was livid and even mild mannered KK. Of course Nucks score on PP and it changes the whole dynamic of the game which had the look of the Oilers piling on a lead, to giving the Nucks life and a reset and a tie game. Nucks then get another completely fictional penalty call for a PP and score again. NHL changing the game entirely than the one being played with specious officiating that sought to even up calls at best even while Nucks were committing vast majority of offenses.

During game none more cynical than the matching call after Zadorov is pushing Kane into bench for 15secs. For all that Zad says Kane held his stick so Kane gets a penalty too. Garbage call.

Then the disgrace at the end of the game.

McLeod is not letting the team down. He is our best pk player and at worse is putting up low event EV play. He's not costing us in any way. He would have multiple assists by now but nobody has been cashing.

That was my thoughts as well. We started just fine and were starting to dominate and then Leon gets that call after taking 3 blatant cross checks minutes earlier that were not called. It’s obvious game management. I was surprised we got another a PP after going 2 for 2 on the first ones. It’s sad that the NHL punishes this team for its historic PP again and again. The call on Kane was absolutely outrageous. How that was an even up only Rooney knows. Speaking of Rooney read yesterday the Canucks are 10-0-1 when he refs 11-0-1 after last night. How does the league justify allowing him to call an important playoff game with those numbers stacked in Vancouvers favor? I mean first we get Kozari who hates Connor than we get Sutherland who couldn’t ref a fair game if his life depended on it and then we get skeletor and Rooney? Can we say wtf much. I’m honestly just waiting for the announcement that it’s Jonette and Cowal for game 4

Last edited:
Reactions: TB12 and Drivesaitl

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Is there any video of Skinner making a single high-danger save this round?

I mean the other conference has these 2OT goalie duals. Even Georgiev has some spectacular post-to-post saves.

Literally every high-danger chance is going in. It's exactly like October all over again.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Is there any video of Skinner making a single high-danger save this round?

I mean the other conference has these 2OT goalie duals. Even Georgiev has some spectacular post-to-post saves.

Literally every high-danger chance is going in. It's exactly like October all over again.

He made one huge glove save in Game 2 but let in a muffin shortly after so it was moot

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
After hearing Skinner's comments today, that he got "caught up in the emotions" just screams that he can't handle the pressure. He just said it. For him to say "he'll learn from it"- isn't something you snap your fingers and all of a sudden you can handle pressure. It takes time and tools required from talking to someone (a trained professional). If I was coach- that's a clear sign of your player telling you it is too much. You cannot play him. He isn't going to be better. The media needs to stop saying he will.
I hope he's ready for the emotions of being scratched next game. Useless sieve is the main reason we aren't up 3-0 in the series. "Learn from it" - asinine roll back comment that means nothing. Silovs has experience you can count on 1 hand and he's already owning the moment better the Skinner ever did. Not every damn game is a lesson, just stop the damn puck once in a while. This isn't the Cup-winning Vegas Knights or the Avalanche onslaught offense, this a team getting less than 20 shots and a handful of high danger chances per game. You were supposed to do the bare minimum of your ****ing job and play average. Now get out of the way for Pickard.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
There was a more than audible boo from the homefans when they put Fred Skinner back in net. Kind of hilarious. The fans didn't realize it was just a delay tactic but hey Oilers take it from your own paying fans they don't want to see Skinner in net again. Period. For any reason at all.
Skinner is so toxic right now. Nobody wants to see him anywhere. I can’t help but laugh at that company that recently put him in a commercial. Not only that but he looks like such a douche in that commercial. I’m sure they’re having buyers remorse on that one, lol.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
This org has never had consistent goaltending in my lifetime and it drives me insane. Cujo stole some playoff games and Roloson had one good failed Cup run before the wheels fell off. Salo had moments too, but we never seem to find that consistent guy who can keep a team in it all the time.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I got even more confirmation why I should rarely visit the mains. Apparently McDavid started the whole incident and he used a two handed full baseball swing to slash Soucy or smashed him with a golf club swing. Are they just delusional or really stupid? Probably both

Reactions: Oildrum

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
I got even more confirmation why I should rarely visit the mains. Apparently McDavid started the whole incident and he used a two handed full baseball swing to slash Soucy or smashed him with a golf club swing. Are they just delusional or really stupid? Probably both

Apparently a whack into the pants warrants a crosscheck in the kidneys and the face. Totally equal plays, apparently. Someone needs to run Hughes every time they crosscheck McDavid or Draisaitl, all the stuff will stop really quick.

Reactions: Oildrum and TB12

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Stupid while being more stupid lol.

I provided clips and they still have their own narratives

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
I haven’t been to the mains in years. That’s like purposely inserting hot seering needles into ones eyeball

You guys are masochists!!!

Reactions: Drivesaitl

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
This org has never had consistent goaltending in my lifetime and it drives me insane. Cujo stole some playoff games and Roloson had one good failed Cup run before the wheels fell off. Salo had moments too, but we never seem to find that consistent guy who can keep a team in it all the time.
This is false. He was an anti-clutch sieve in the playoffs.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
It's the classic strategy of starting with the answer one wants and then selecting one's evidence and argument accordingly. One can't argue with a person who isn't engaging in a good faith debate.

Reactions: TB12

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Canuck fans are the same as Leaf fans except they haven't been relevant for a decade plus in the playoffs. They have quantity, not quality, so it seems their narrative in waves gets support, but it's the same dumbass echo chamber they all live in. Not one unbiased, reasonable take. Calling McDaivd's high stick on Hughes intentional or malicious or grounds for being cross checked in the face. You'd think they would at least recognize what a purposeful high stick looks like after getting the first hand witness of Bertuzzi's incident. But then, people who burn down their city... these fans probably cheered the Bertuzzi play on.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Which makes no sense to me, you'd think Katz would be on the phone with the league, since you know, his franchise brings in more money for the NHL than the Canucks do....
Stauffer called out Holland on this. He said "oilers apparently wanted Holland for his connections- where are they? Why isnt he talking to the league" Also, Gazolla was saying he isn't around as much as he usually has been in the past. Holland could give two shits how the team does, he has his foot out the door already. Jackson made a massive mistake letting him run the trade deadline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad