Grade the Devils trade deadline deals

Let's grade the Devils trade deadline deals! How did Fitz do?

• A

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • B

Votes: 47 39.8%
  • C

Votes: 53 44.9%
  • D

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • F

Votes: 4 3.4%

• Total voters

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
B+ altogether.

Rental wingers didn't go for for much. Getting a 2nd and 3rd for Toffoli is fine, at worst. Retention for the rest of the season means very little to me. C. C's get degrees, baby.

Allen for a 3rd is fine. The pick conditions are manageable enough, and retained he costs almost nothing, but most importantly we don't have to run Daws into the ground for the rest of the season. That's worth it by itself. C+

Miller for a 4th: Fine. He was nice to have, but he would've blocked Nemec if we kept him for next season, so he was a depth defenseman who got valued like one at the trade deadline. B.

Vanacek and 7th for Kahkonen: A+. 10/10. Beautiful trade. I likely would have spent more than a 7th to dump Vitek's contract next year. We not only did that, but got a goalie with some potential upside that we get to test drive before re-signing. Found money. Best move of the day for us.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I'd give him a C, he positioned himself well to get a starter in the offseason. Until the VV deal went down and the conditions on the Allen deal were official, it was horrible.

Reactions: longislanddevil

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
C for me:

- goalie moves were good/great, put us in a nice spot for the offseason.

- Waited too long on Toffoli, per his press conference he knew weeks ago how far apart on a deal they were - can't sit on your hands for 3 weeks while premium assets are moving as eventually people tap out on spending. The actual deadline day used to be the leverage point, but its clear that the pendulum has shifted towards securing assets earlier.

Reactions: longislanddevil

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Wishing more for Toffoli was just silly in this buyers market. We can resign him if anyone wants to, and it actually moves Holtz into the trigger-man-and-little else role which will be his role if he doesn't round out his game... C

Miller played his time here perfectly but 8th Dmen don't get higher than 4ths. B

Vanacek off the books, kahkotrash back. B+

Allen will be a perfect dumpster value heat shield for a third. A second? Ick. But the condition means he must be absolutely playing out of his mind. B-

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
Thought the Toffoli trade was fine and glad Fitz didn’t sign him. Miller trade was good.

Goalie trades were great. Adds flexibility and they can dump Allen in a trade this summer if they want when Fitz gets one of the big fish.

Icing on top and A+ would have been a Smith trade.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I fell asleep right before the Allen move lmao, I love the goalie moves but the Toffoli trade was a bit underwhelming but I can't totally butcher Fitz. B+ to B-

Reactions: Mgd31

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Overall I think Fitz probably did about as well as he could have. Maybe you'd hope for a little more for Toffoli, but given what other rental wingers went for I think it's fine. Miller for a 4th seems about right. The goalie trades are a win in that we can move on from Vitek and his contract for next year, and we get short term help so Daws doesn't get run into the ground. And we have the flexibility to bring in a Saros/Ullmark/Markstrom this summer. Sucks we were sellers instead of buyers this time, but at least Fitz didn't do something dumb to try to "save the season".

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Getting out of Vitek's contract for next year is big. Allen at 50% is a decent backup option, even though I think he stinks at least it takes pressure off Daws and Schmid. Other returns weren't spectacular but it'll be more interesting to see what's done with those extra picks.

Overall I guess a B. I am content

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
C,

I'd throw a + on there if I could just because of the number of boxes checked.

But the returns were very meh.

Reactions: nugg

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Said A mainly for the deals he didn't do.
Didn't go in on Hanifin, properly realized that Markstrom cost way too much and there was nobody else trading for goalies.

Fitz realized that the coaching problems and youth on defense isn't something that could be fixed mid-season so he sold off the pending UFAs. Thought he did really well on the goalie carousel as well.

Reactions: theoptimist

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Toffoli deal is a B (on its own). It isn’t bad, its the market rate.

Not paying a 31 year old 7m for 3-4 years is A+.

Canes really screwed the pooch they got nothing for a better winger. They winger market struggled. The goalie market was a complete dud. Miller for a 4th is an underrated trade.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I don't get the whole "Fitz didn't get a good enough return" deal.

Do people honestly think he didn't call everyone to get the best deal possible?

Reactions: HBK27

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
C-. It was schizophrenic. Were we selling or buying? Trying to make a playoff run or sending the message that the season's over? We got an upgrade in goal and dumped a bad contract, but we also traded our leading goal scorer and a serviceable D for mid round picks. Doesn't make sense.

• Wow
Reactions: Xirik

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't get the whole "Fitz didn't get a good enough return" deal.

Do people honestly think he didn't call everyone to get the best deal possible?
Some people just need to bitch about something. I get it, the season went off the rails and it sucks, but good lord are there some dumb Devils fans out there (mostly on social media).

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
If NJ trades for Markstrom as I think they will, then it’s a B. Improved goaltending, protects young goaltenders, get Hotakka back, gain assets to flip in the summer, Meier back to RW. Team defense improving by subtraction.

Reactions: thethinglonger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad