Habs at the World Championships (May 10-May 26) | TSN, TSN.ca, NHLN, IIHF Worlds 2024 YouTube channel

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Me? I didn't suggest we trade him so I don't know where that is coming from.
No. It wasn’t directed at anyone in particular. Just seeing people start to talk about packaging him away. And it was just a joke.

Count me as a believer. Disappointing year but I think he’s going to be awesome for us in the long run.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
Slaf is growing up better to get those cringe things out of the way while playing aboard.

Abusing the refs in public will hurt your team more than anything and the scoreboard crying flex is bad sportsmanship imo.
Not a fan of either of those actions. He probably feels like he has to carry the team over there, and has to deal with crazy amounts of fan attention. He just seems overexcited and probably doesn't have a Nick Suzuki or MSL type to temper him over there. He'll figure it out.

Reactions: Jabba11 and Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Watching Oliver Kapanen playing so well I am disappointed that he signed for 2 more years in Europe.

Not a fan of either of those actions. He probably feels like he has to carry the team over there, and has to deal with crazy amounts of fan attention. He just seems overexcited and probably doesn't have a Nick Suzuki or MSL type to temper him over there. He'll figure it out.
Yep all part of the maturity process.

Reactions: Shred

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
One of the main reasons he dropped to 15th overall was his lack of size.
I don’t agree with this. And the data doesn’t seem to support it.

If that were the case we’d see fewer shots and we’d see them from further away from where hes shooting. None of that lines up with what it being a size problem.

The ONLY thing wrong with his season was a horrible shot percentage. And that’s likely- at least in part - to shoulder surgery.
I still have ptsd from the Smurf era and I look away every time Caufield goes into the corner after a puck for fear that some 200-pound player will crush him.
It will always be a risk. But you can’t attribute every mistake to size. The reality is, he had a really, really good year but just didn’t get the results that he should’ve.

Hopefully it doesn’t continue but shoulders can be tricky. Take it from someone who’s had frozen shoulder for a year and a half.

Last edited:
Reactions: HabbyGuy

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
With all of the veterans on the US team they selected the biggest POS to be Captain. A total joke.
He said he would take his puck and go home if they didn't make him Captain. Worked for the Senators' captaincy :D

• Haha
Reactions: Tyson

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

If that were the case we’d see fewer shots and we’d see them from further away from where hes shooting. None of that lines up with what it being a size problem.

The ONLY thing wrong with his season was a horrible shot percentage. And that’s likely- at least in part - to shoulder surgery.

It will always be a risk. But you can’t attribute every mistake to size. The reality is, he had a really, really good year but just didn’t get the results that he should’ve.

Hopefully it doesn’t continue but shoulders can be tricky. Take it from someone who’s had frozen shoulder for a year and a half.
I’m not a fan of the tiny guys but I hope he has a great career with the Habs.

Reactions: Rapala

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I wonder what it would take to get Martin Pospisil out of Calgary? Perfect 3rd line center.
You don’t like how Brady plays but you like that POS? Lol You crack me up

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Why don't you just let them live?
Tyson:

Ii2.gif

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

I'm not sure what is this "he's not performing as he should, but it's not his fault" thing is, honestly.

In my neck of the woods, you get exactly what you deserve, nothing more and nothing less.

He needs to correct a few things to improve and that will come with more work in these areas.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm not sure what is this "he's not performing as he should, but it's not his fault" thing is, honestly.

In my neck of the woods, you get exactly what you deserve, nothing more and nothing less.

He needs to correct a few things to improve and that will come with more work in these areas.
It’s not about “deserve.” The underlying numbers are there. A player with 314 shots ‘should’ score more than 28 goals, especially when it’s from as in close as he is. Most likely the surgery affected his shooting.

Hopefully he can fully heal and quickly. That’s something I can’t answer.
Teams adjust to the opposition and now he isn't getting the same looks as he did in his first year and a half.
If teams had adjusted to him he wouldn’t have the shots he does. He wouldn’t be shooting from in close as he is. That’s not the problem. Teams haven’t been effective at containing him, his shot just isn’t as good as it was.

He was actually more successful at getting in close this year. All but eight of his goals this year came from in close. The biggest difference Is from the midrange of the ice. Last season his bread and butter was from the midrange of the ice. From there, he shot at 18 percent. This year he put up 160 shots from that area and… shot at a putrid five percent. That is abysmal, almost impossibly bad. And it really suggests that his shot lost some zip. It has nothing to do with teams “adjusting” to him. He was more effective at creating chances in close this year than last. The problem was that his shot simply wasn’t as effective from the midrange of the ice.

That was the big difference from one season to the next. Normally that’d be his office that he could score a ton from. But that fell way off. Fortunately, he made adjustments to shoot from in closer than he normally does. It’d be one thing if he didn’t have the chances he does or if his shots fell off… that’s not happening. The chances are there. He’s been more effective at penetrating opposing defenses. He just didn’t convert this year.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Zegras trying to thread a pass through two bodies and two sticks. He's such a vanilla player.

I'm starting to let go this idea as time moves forward. Zegras is basically the flashy type with a lot of skill and might pad his stats on our team and then want to cash in like Marner. Regular season champion type players.

Reactions: badfish

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Caufield needs to change the curve on his stick or something. He swung and missed on a really good pass, and got off 2 other pretty weak shots. He did get 2 other good shots off - both saved by blocker.

He just seems to whiff a lot.

Caufield will be fine. He's a flashy goal scorer and will have his up/down moments. What I will say is he needs a good center and a power winger on the other side to get the best results.

Hopefully the new contract didn't make him complacent.

Same.

Zegras is not someone you win with.

Well you can win but he would have to be 4th or 5th wheel up front. The problem is the price to pay to acquire. If the cost was manageable, I'd be interested. However, Ducks probably have a high cost and the reason why they are not hanging up the phone is they see what most see. A soft but very skilled perimeter player.

Who is Caufield and Zegras playing with on their line? Two of them together on the same like would require a pretty good center with grit in my books.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad