Prospect Info: HFSJ '22 Draft: Filip Bystedt (C) - Linkoping/SHL (Round 1, 27th overall)

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I just don’t think Nazar fit the physical and hard to play against team that Grier envisions. Not to say he stepped on toes and told the staff who to pick, I just think DWJR and Will saw Nazar as a guy closer to what we already have in the system. Guschin, Robins, Bordeleau are all similar and Nazar isn’t far and away better than any of them at this point. It’s all a gamble. Maybe Bystedt’s overall profile fits better in what the Sharks need in the system and are lacking. Size at center. Boom or bust. Raw tools that can be developed. Lambert probably just had too many red flags for the orgs taste. All the skill in the world, but is he a player you want to insert into a locker room emphasizing culture?. I don’t know the answer to that, it’s just a hypothetical question I’d ask if I was preparing to draft Lambert. All these stories and reports of him being a headache mean something.

Reactions: hotcabbagesoup

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Don't we normally get DWjr interviews after they make their selection in the first rd? Or was that only because of covid.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Not sure if this was posted, but a quote from DW Jr. that I think gives a perfect sentiment on why Bystedt was the right guy and why we should be optimistic:
DW Jr. On why Filip Bystedt was the right pick: He just caught our eye every time we were over there in Linköping. So Linköping, they won the championship at the J20 level, they beat Djurgårdens. He lined up against Eklund and Ohgren and Ostlund and those guys. He played a huge role on the Swedish National Team when they won Gold this year, too. It was attractive to us that Filip was an integral part, as big, skating centerman on a championship and a Gold Medal team this year. He was just one of those players who kept on catching our eye all year long, in a premium position with size and speed.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
That just screams that the org still gets randomly fascinated with players for now reason
Lol ya I bet they saw a gold helmet on him one game and couldn’t keep their eyes off him.

I think you’re being facetious l, but correct me if I’m wrong.

I’m fine with the pick. Any number of these kids could be a boom or bust or fine middle 6 player. We need centers that can skate and have size, and we got a couple.

The “knock” on Bystedt’s skating is his first few steps, which could be due to growing into his large size, but once he moves he moves. Thornton had that “problem”. I realize this is a different age but I’m not worried about it if we have zippy, gritty wingers who can score

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I generally do too but I think it's not an uncommon industry outlook. The path ahead of him is tough but there's a solid boom/bust quality there.
I sure hope so, I want to believe in him but the fact that he really was ranked low on so many scouts lists means theres gotta be something more than minor consistancy issues holding him back.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Caveat: I do get this move.

I get it for all the obvious reasons - developmental timeframes, added depth. I do like the 3 picks individually too, especially adding Havelid, which could be the saving grace of it all. Plus, I was a fan of Bystedt's upside as a 1st rounder too. Lund also has some upside. I DO get it.

However, sadly I think it's more likely to backfire than not.

For Grier to be proven right, we have to have 2 of the 3 hit as top 6 pieces.

The chances that a player in the 11-26 range becomes an NHL impact player - you'd think - is higher than 2 of the 3 doing so in this bracket. For that reason alone, GMMG will always have to justify why he didn't make a pick and as we know, this fanbase is going to remind him of it continuously.

Joakim Kemell, for example. I had expected him to go higher. I think if we'd drafted him at 11 and he becomes the top 6 scoring winger many feel he will, this has the potential to look ...not ideal. Perception is everything. As steady as the return was, I don't think I could have sat at the table and looked past that opportunity.

Good luck to him - it's certainly bold. Let's hope the fanbase is equally as patient.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I didn’t have a draft board, I truly don’t have the time. I go off of who the writer’s prognosticate over. I don’t have the “chops” to deeply deduce why this player is going to be a better player in 3 years. That’s just too much thinking.
I will go off of what DWjr says in his post draft interview… Bystedt has won. He knows how to win, of course he didn’t lead them but he knows the feeling, the process. That’s valuable in my eyes.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I didn’t have a draft board, I truly don’t have the time. I go off of who the writer’s prognosticate over. I don’t have the “chops” to deeply deduce why this player is going to be a better player in 3 years. That’s just too much thinking.
I will go off of what DWjr says in his post draft interview… Bystedt has won. He knows how to win, of course he didn’t lead them but he knows the feeling, the process. That’s valuable in my eyes.
To me that same logic and reasoning has been used to argue against legends like Joe Thornton for years.
I just dont really care what a guys team does, I want to know what he does. Bystadt looks to have done well, but not overwhelmingly.

Reactions: Alaskanice

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
Does someone remember if SHL had a clause that Bystedt can't go back to North America if he plays for AHL?
Bystedt has had a really slow start and was stratched in Linköping. Probably needs some time to reset and start building from there. In hindsight I think that AHL would have been better spot for him to start, since he had a lot of good things going on before the SHL season started. Could there be a lower motivation since he is back in SHL not AHL/NHL, or did he think it was better to start in SHL?

Just thinking out loud.

• Wow

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Does someone remember if SHL had a clause that Bystedt can't go back to North America if he plays for AHL?
Bystedt has had a really slow start and was stratched in Linköping. Probably needs some time to reset and start building from there. In hindsight I think that AHL would have been better spot for him to start, since he had a lot of good things going on before the SHL season started. Could there be a lower motivation since he is back in SHL not AHL/NHL, or did he think it was better to start in SHL?

Just thinking out loud.
I thought that clause was a thing with Dahlen/AHL. Not sure if still a thing, but I believe SHL doesn't have to... Oh, I think I found something

4. AHL Transactions

Much like the intricacies involved in NHL teams sending young CHL players to the AHL, this Agreement has its own rules that apply to Swedish players. An NHL team may freely send a 1st round draft pick to the AHL. Players selected in the 2nd round or later require consultation with the player’s Swedish team. If a player (not including a 1st round pick) is younger than 24, he should be sent back to Sweden. While the Swedish team could waive its rights to this, the NHL team cannot offer anything of value to entice the Swedish team to do so. In fact, it is the NHL’s position that this could amount to salary circumvention. However, there is nothing stopping the NHL team from speaking with the Swedish team about its intentions.

This was important to the SHA as they wanted young players coming back to Sweden to develop versus playing in the AHL. As part of the negotiations, the SHA gave up this rule applying to all players (including 1st round picks). In exchange, the NHL agreed to increase the required age from 21 to 24.

It is important to remember that these restrictions are provided in the Agreement between the NHL and SHA, and not a specific internal NHL or AHL rule. Much like the NHL’s agreement with the CHL relating to players in the AHL.
Since Bystedt is a first rounder the Sharks control his fate regarding SHL/AHL, I think. Dahlen was a 2nd rounder... so his situation was completely different.

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
I thought that clause was a thing with Dahlen/AHL. Not sure if still a thing, but I believe SHL doesn't have to... Oh, I think I found something

Since Bystedt is a first rounder the Sharks control his fate regarding SHL/AHL, I think. Dahlen was a 2nd rounder... so his situation was completely different.
Thank you for the answer :)

I really hope Bystedt could play in AHL asap. North American ice could make him more NHL ready than SHL. And yes I'm aware he hasn't played well in SHL so far and has deserved to be healthy scratched. I just wish that if they don't find a place for him in Linköping, he can come to AHL and start over.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
He should take the reins and be a top 6 center this year in the SHL IMO. He’s got the game to do so, just needs to readjust. I don’t think a move to NA right now makes sense because it’s not like he wasn’t given ice time. He was, just didn’t do well with it. Development isn’t linear though, so I suspect he will work his way back up from the third line.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
He should take the reins and be a top 6 center this year in the SHL IMO. He’s got the game to do so, just needs to readjust. I don’t think a move to NA right now makes sense because it’s not like he wasn’t given ice time. He was, just didn’t do well with it. Development isn’t linear though, so I suspect he will work his way back up from the third line.
Curious though. Looking at the Cuda I don't really see why he couldn't do the same. The SHL is a different league but still

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Curious though. Looking at the Cuda I don't really see why he couldn't do the same. The SHL is a different league but still
What's the rush in getting him to the AHL? Another full SHL season followed by a full AHL season and he should hopefully be ready to break into the NHL by 2025-26. I don't see the point in trying to rush any of these prospects. He was a 27th overall pick, those guys typically have a 4-5 year ETA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad