How are you feeling about Tavares these days?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The room was dead. Treliving said that was one reason he brought in Reaves. But besides the room, his on ice demeanor is too solemn and dispassionate. Plus in 15 years, 10 seasons as Captain he’s led his team past the first round twice. He shouldn’t be part of their future never mind their leadership group. It would be awkward for him and his teammates.
Leaders lead regardless of the letter on their sweater. If Tavares wasn't providing that the rest of the core should have picked it up.
Tavares always struck me as a lead by example player.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Tavares thinking they are close is kind of amusing.

A good point I just heard.

The Leafs are consistent. 100 points per year. Make the playoffs. Lose.

I am not sure they are close to being close.
You are wrong. They were close to getting out of round #1. If JT thinks they are close to winning the SC, he is dilutional or a flat out liar.

Perhaps Johnny should be tuning in tonight and tomorrow night to see just how far away they really are.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

The 2017-18 Leafs under Lou Lam / Babcock direction finished with 105 points and lost to Boston in round #1 in 7 games,

1715281030546.png

The 2018-19 Leafs under Dubas/ Babcock finished with 100 points and lost to Boston in round #1 in 7 games,

1715281139823.png

Skip ahead 5 years/seasons

The 2023-24 Leafs finished with 111 points under Treliving/Keefe and lost to Boston in round #1 in 7 games .

1715281209846.png

What exactly does Tavares believe this team is close to ?... It feels like a team going NOWHERE and simply repeating like ground hog day spinning their wheels annually and similar end result EARLY each playoff season.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
The 2017-18 Leafs under Lou Lam / Babcock direction finished with 105 points and lost to Boston in round #1 in 7 games,

View attachment 867857

The 2018-19 Leafs under Dubas/ Babcock finished with 100 points and lost to Boston in round #1 in 7 games,

View attachment 867861

The 2023-24 Leafs finished with 111 points and lost to Boston in round #1 in 7 games .

View attachment 867862

What exactly does Tavares believe this team is close to ?... It feels like a team going NOWHERE and simply repeating like ground hog day spinning their wheels annually and similar end result EARLY each playoff season.
Right!

Not grounded in reality

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Right!

Not grounded in reality
3 X Different GMs & 2 X Different Coaches and rotating deck chairs on the depth of the team, with same results

However a flawed overpaid Core 4 that consumes > 1/2 the team cap is the consistent that causes the same results. IMO

Reactions: Trapper

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA

View attachment 867857

View attachment 867861

The 2023-24 Leafs finished with 111 points under Treliving/Keefe and lost to Boston in round #1 in 7 games .

View attachment 867862

It looks exactly like the Capitals against Pittsburgh, until they finally beat them for the first time and won the Cup that same year.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

View attachment 867857

View attachment 867861

View attachment 867862

We had 102 points fwiw

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
3 X Different GMs & 2 X Different Coaches and rotating deck chairs on the depth of the team, with same results

However a flawed overpaid Core 4 that consumes > 1/2 the team cap is the consistent that causes the same results. IMO
You are not wrong

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Leaders lead regardless of the letter on their sweater. If Tavares wasn't providing that the rest of the core should have picked it up.

I don’t think Tavares is really a leader. He’s more like a good veteran, good citizen who would be part of a leadership group, but not a singular captain who should wear a C, but an A.

He’s more like the Spock to someone else’s Captain Kirk. He’s not the star of the show, not the emotional leader, but second in command doing things his way. Yeah fine.

My medium term prediction is the Leafs become a more successful playoff team post Tavares. Not that it’s his fault as an individual but I think the team will come to life a little more after that changing of the guard.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
It looks exactly like the Capitals against Pittsburgh, until they finally beat them for the first time and won the Cup that same year.

you know i was thinking that for a while.

people were like. OMG it's not the same.(with Yzerman/Washington) because "they were built to win!" but like that ws the point no? like our struggle is we can't get out of the first round. Washington almost easily skipped to the the 2nd and got trounced (and if they faced Pitts in the 1st round they lost too). I'm not saying that they are CLOSE to win a cup. but honestly if they could just freaking score and had stable goaltending, I think they could at least push towards eastern conference, and then "see what happens" to me that's what they mean by "we're close."

I think the bigger question needs to be asked is why does this team get bored by playing playoff hockey. because they do it and then it's like "okay let's do what we want. again." that's the real issue.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Unfortunately his example didn’t work out too well.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I am sure the Leafs will resign him because it's what Toronto does, but I agree with those who say that he should be left to play out the final year of his deal (since he won't waive his NMC) and then let go. What is the point of resigning him to a $4 or $5 million per year contract? At some point it's okay to just move one and take a different approach.
I think the people who keep bringing up this "re-sign JT for cheap" idea haven't fully grasped how much he has already declined and is going to still continue to decline. I think they believe he's an 8 million player and it would be such a bargain to have him in the bottom of the lineup at 3 million. It's not. He's already playing like he's only worth 3 million and it's only going to get worse, and fast.

It's okay to just move on. At the end of next season we don't owe him anything and he doesn't owe us anything.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think the people who keep bringing up this "re-sign JT for cheap" idea haven't fully drafts how much he has already declined and is going to still continue to decline. I think they believe he's an 8 million player and it would be such a bargain to have him in the bottom of the lineup at 3 million. It's not. He's already playing like he's only worth 3 million and it's only going to get worse, and fast.

It's okay to just move on. At the end of next season we don't owe him anything and he doesn't owe us anything.

You need a culture and generation shift, for new blood to take over the room.

Reactions: seventieslord

no2ninja

Oct 22, 2023

Tavares is paid to believe that the leaf's are close and act and plays like this is the case. In fact this is the reason why I like the guy so much, whish more guys in the league acted like this. If you take a top deal, you should be more than happy to ignore a shortcoming or two, the money is not free and the road before you certainly not flat. I have no problems with his play, wish there was more scoring overall in the post season, but even with the shortage he sure got more than his even share.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Tavares is paid to believe that the leaf's are close and act and plays like this is the case. In fact this is the reason why I like the guy so much, whish more guys in the league acted like this. If you take a top deal, you should be more than happy to ignore a shortcoming or two, the money is not free and the road before you certainly not flat. I have no problems with his play, wish there was more scoring overall in the post season, but even with the shortage he sure got more than his even share.
He scored one goal.

I like JT. He knows how to compete.

But like the others,, for 11 million you simply need more

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Unfortunately his example didn’t work out too well.
Nope, they seldom do but too much weight is given to that.
Did Stone lead better last year than this year? Did Toews all of a sudden stop leading and kill the Blackhawks runs?

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Wonder if JT's been watching the Bruins/Panthers series so far, and if he still thinks they are "right there" after watching the intensity of that war?
Pasta vs Tkachuk is really the eye opener for me. Pasta showed a lot of balls for a skill guy, 60 goal scorer. Dropped the gloves with Matthew and while he didn't do great, he showed up for himself and his teammates.

Our top guys wouldn't do that in a million years.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Pasta vs Tkachuk is really the eye opener for me. Pasta showed a lot of balls for a skill guy, 60 goal scorer. Dropped the gloves with Matthew and while he didn't do great, he showed up for himself and his teammates.

I loved absolutely everything about that Pastrnak sequence - and then thought about our own core, and how none of them would have the bloody balls to do that.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

They’d feign injury

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad