How do you fix the Wings?

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Prioritize playing defense instead of constantly pinching; the goaltending would not look nearly so bad if they ever had guys in good defensive position in front of them. Focus on puck support and playing as a five man unit. Learn how to do something with the lead other than sit back and let them come at you in waves until it's gone.

(It's weird to want to hammer professionals about fundamentals, but they looked so lost this season so many times. Figure this stuff out and you have a whole new team even before you tinker with the roster.)

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
Realistically here goes..

1. Husso and Lyon will be run back so I expect no change in nets

2. Matta and Holl 100% need to be removed from the roster and a guy like Pesce signed in FA

3. Fabbri 100% needs to go either as the cap dump in a trade or solely to free up cap space..A new 2nd line high-end winger must be brought in either via trade or free agency, ie Buch, Stamkos, Guenther, Marchesssault, etc

4 i expect us to resign Perron, Veleno and Fischer and maybe sign a cheap vet like Perry. I think Kane signs elsewhere

5. I expect Berggren and Johansson on the roster

DBC-Larkin-Ray
XXX-Compher-Beggren
Rasmussen-Copp-Perron
Fischer-Veleno-Perry

Seider-Walman
Edvinsson-Pesce
Chariot-Johansson
Petry

Husso
Lyon
Not trying to be a D*** but you SERIOUSLY think Arizona(Utah) would trade Guenther lmao?

Twinger

Sep 28, 2017
Teams to look at as trade partners:
Calgary
St. Louis
Arizona
Winnipeg
Minnesota

Teams to target to take cap dumps:
San Jose
Chicago
Anaheim

I’m still in favor of a blockbuster with Calgary. Trading for Blake Coleman and Markstrom would upgrade mid 6 and goaltending. Fabbri and Husso going the other way gives Calgary expiring deals to fill the roles and give them flexibility.

I’d look at Parayko or Faulk in St. Louis for 2RD duties. Whichever can skate best.
I'd be a fan of pulling the trigger with Calgary. Berggren would be going back and we could add a D prospect and whatever picks

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
love to get rid of fabbri just dont know who would take him with his contract. Especially when shedding holl is the bigger priority. We need to make room for Aljo.

Think next season might be painful down year for us.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Red Wings trade LHD Ollie Maata, F Robby Fabbri, F Marco Kasper, RFA Jonatan Berggren, 1st round pick.
Ducks trade F Trevor Zegras and the Ducks 3rd round pick. ( Saves 1.5 million )

Red Wings resign RHD Moritz Seider to a 8 year contract worth 64 million, 8 million per year.
Red Wings resign F Lucas Raymond to a 8 year contract worth 64 million, 8 million per year.
Red Wings sign F Sean Monahan to a 4 year contract worth 20 million, 5 million per year.
Red Wings sign RHD Matt Roy to a 4 year contract worth 14 million, 3.5 million per year.
Red Wings resign F Christian Fischer to a 2 year contract worth 2.25 million, 1.125 million per year.
Red Wings sign F Liam O’Brien to a 1 year minimum contract.
Red Wings resign F Austin Czarnik to a 1 year minimum contract.

Trevor Zegras – (C) Dylan Larkin – Lucas Raymond
Alex DeBrincat – Sean MonahanNate Danielson
Michael Rasmussen – J.T. Compher – Carter Mazur
Christian Fischer
– (A) Andrew Copp – Liam O’Brien

* Austin Czarnik

Jake Walman – Mortiz Seider
Simon Edvinsson – Matt Roy
(A) Ben Chiarot – Jeff Petry

* Justin Holl *(Possible waive/buyout)*

Alex Lyon
Sebastian Cossa
Ville Husso *(Possible LTIR)*

Last edited:

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
Red Wings need to improve team speed, there are like three forwards who are fast: Larkin, Raymond, Compher. Fabbri, Perron, DeBrincat, Kane range from awful to bad, Sprong, Fischer and Rasmussen are kind of average. Veleno is fast, but cannot do anything with it. On backend Petry, Chiarot, Maatta and Holl are quite bad as well.

I think skating one of aspects where Lalonde was asking for more youth on the team,

Reactions: iDangleDangle

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
We've had a few days to soak in missing the playoffs, and reflect. We threw around blame, picked the spacegoats, and now it's time to move on.

What would YOU do to fix this roster and get it into the postseason next year? What are reasonable changes you make?

Sell:

Fabbri
Maatta
Veleno
Husso(or just bury)

Then, maybe the team can make a move.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
The only thing they need to do is bring up cossa, bring up Kasper and wallinder and let some dead weight go. They need to allow our prospects take the next step and build from within. Sign seider and razor and let edvinsson seider wallinder and walman be the top 4 with chiarot and maata on the third pair

Raymond Larkin debrincat
Ras compher burger
Veleno Kasper Copp

Cossa
Husso
Lyon

Although ideally we would sign one of guentzel or stamkos

Seems like Bruins thinks Swayman is their #1. Could going for Ullmark perhaps be an option for next year?
Depends on his no trade list. And a team like Boston likely would not trade within their division

Reactions: Realgud

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
No more expensive long term contracts for Middling veteran players. Let Husso, Holl, Chiarot, Copp and Compher be a lesson, not the guide.

Yzerman needs to go big game hunting and pay the appropriate prices. If he can’t get that done… hide the check book. Do not let us hand out 4X 5M contracts to ‘good’ NHL players like Stephenson/Monahan/Teravainen ect because they are the low hanging ‘free’ fruit this year.
This has become Yzerman’s M.O.

Edit; There is nothing wrong with those players. And if a guy like that has their FA market fall through (ala Bertuzzi last year). I’d be fine with paying those type of players on a 1 year deal.

Last edited:

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
SUBTRACTADD
ForwardCompherLindholm
CoppSoderblom
PerronBertuzzi
FabbriBerggren
DefenceWalmanPesce
PetryEdvinsson
HollJohansson
GoalieReimer

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Raymond
Debrincat - Lindholm - Kane
Berggren - Veleno - Sprong
Soderblom - Rasmussen - Fischer
Czarnik

Chariot - Seider
Edvinsson - Pesce
Maatta - Ghost
Johansson

Husso
Lyon

Last edited:
Reactions: Rolo Tomassi

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
If Kuznetzov leaves Carolina, would he ve an option for number two center? I think the sinus should sign 🪧 r trade for a big bodied scorer and as much as I like Fabbri, it's time for him to go. I am a big fan of RB. Maybe resign Sprong, JV and trade or buyout Holl. Hope that Husso comes back healthy and give Cossa a few games along with Lyon.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
The only thing they need to do is bring up cossa, bring up Kasper and wallinder and let some dead weight go. They need to allow our prospects take the next step and build from within. Sign seider and razor and let edvinsson seider wallinder and walman be the top 4 with chiarot and maata on the third pair

Raymond Larkin debrincat
Ras compher burger
Veleno Kasper Copp

Cossa
Husso
Lyon

Although ideally we would sign one of guentzel or stamkos

Depends on his no trade list. And a team like Boston likely would not trade within their division
Dang, that teams picking top 5. 1 line PP team. I wouldn't be watching much hockey.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I believe SY was 31 in 96 when he captained the wings to the first of their cups
Yeah, one guy(Yzerman) was questioned if he'll ever win the cup after making the playoffs for like 10 straight years and getting swept in a stanley cup finals...

And with Larkin we're wondering if they'll even make the playoffs let alone win a cup with this team.

I don't think you trade him this year or anything but when does the question start to get brought up? If Wings miss the playoffs again next year, two years in a row from now?

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
Dang, that teams picking top 5. 1 line PP team. I wouldn't be watching much hockey.

But isn't that what everyone wants? Gotta pick your poison. Either fill the team with vets and slowly migrate rookies or go all in on youth.

Like I said sign a 2nd line center and a winger and you bring up 3 young guys. Who knows. Maybe cossa comes in and is a beast. Goaltending was our biggest weakness despite the fact that they gave everything they had, husso was not good enough and we had to ride backups all year.

Our defense with seider edvinsson, wallinder Walkman and chiarot will not be worse than it was this year.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
If Kuznetzov leaves Carolina, would he ve an option for number two center? I think the sinus should sign 🪧 r trade for a big bodied scorer and as much as I like Fabbri, it's time for him to go. I am a big fan of RB. Maybe resign Sprong, JV and trade or buyout Holl. Hope that Husso comes back healthy and give Cossa a few games along with Lyon.

Yzerman and Co wont even call Kuznetzov... likely have his and his agents phone number blocked.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I don't believe we could fix it next season. We are not going to have cheap Kane, Raymond and Seider anymore . We still have expensive Fabbri and Holl.
I hope Yzerman will get top 6 power forward in his prime , huge improvement from Berggren and Edvinsson. Healthy Walman will also help .
Cat Larkin Raymond
Guentzel Compher Berggren
Rasmussen Kasper Perron
Fischer Copp Veleno
Walman Seider
Edvinsson Chiarot
Petri AJo / Maatta

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Let the kids develop is the answer to the thread's question. They struggled at keeping the puck out of the net yes, but I don't think the team is fundamentally broken. We are ahead of schedule. We're only going to get better as the young guys come up and get comfortable.

Reactions: Retire91

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Yeah, one guy(Yzerman) was questioned if he'll ever win the cup after making the playoffs for like 10 straight years and getting swept in a stanley cup finals...

And with Larkin we're wondering if they'll even make the playoffs let alone win a cup with this team.

I don't think you trade him this year or anything but when does the question start to get brought up? If Wings miss the playoffs again next year, two years in a row from now?

Wings were on a 100 point pace with Larkin and were last in the league without him. Trading Larkin should not be talked about as the solution.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Putting dead cap space on the books from buyouts when we barely even meet the definition of a wild card team is pretty silly.

These bad contracts are here just to buy time for the kids to develop. Even if the vets are pooping the bed they have a lot of wisdom to share with the youngsters are practice inbetween plays off season etc.... Gotta have patience these contracts will start to fall off. Man where is the silver lining, the worst parts of the rebuild are behind us.

Wings were on a 100 point pace with Larkin and were last in the league without him. Trading Larkin should not be talked about as the solution.
100% Larkin is a high level player he isn't going to suddenly lose his value in his early 30's come on guys seriously. Every cup winning team needs their early 30's all star vets and he plays one of the hardest positions to fill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad