Hyman

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
What about Hyman, he's 28 now and has 1 year left on his contract, is he going to be worth $4 mil. per on a new contract maybe even more. His productivity has probably peaked and his stats can be mostly attributed to who he plays with. Due to his last 2 years he probably is as valuable now as he's ever been and will be so TO might be able to get a reasonably significant return for him on the trade market. TO has allowed too many players to simply walk at the end of their contracts and I don't think TO will be able to afford Hyman at the end of his contract.

Should TO trade decent players like Hyman while keeping the extremely expensive? 1 Marner traded could allow TO to keep Hyman and Rielly, I don't know but normally great teams need great players to be great, Hyman has been good but he'll never be great, if we want TO to be great we must retain our great players.

Where does Hyman fit in TO's winger hierarchy, I'd say Marner and Nylander are better/will be better long range, Mikheyev, Robertson and maybe Kerfoot could probably replace/exceed Hyman, in different ways but their value as compared to him should ultimately not be less. Then there's Barabanov and Anderson, two players with jam/intangibles in their games with the potential to become as good as Hyman, in the right situation.

TO has a lot of winger depth, Kadri was traded because he was making too much for a 3rd line center or as another winger and Hyman will probably be making too much soon as well.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
What about Hyman, he's 28 now and has 1 year left on his contract, is he going to be worth $4 mil. per on a new contract maybe even more. His productivity has probably peaked and his stats can be mostly attributed to who he plays with. Due to his last 2 years he probably is as valuable now as he's ever been and will be so TO might be able to get a reasonably significant return for him on the trade market. TO has allowed too many players to simply walk at the end of their contracts and I don't think TO will be able to afford Hyman at the end of his contract.

Should TO trade decent players like Hyman while keeping the extremely expensive? 1 Marner traded could allow TO to keep Hyman and Rielly, I don't know but normally great teams need great players to be great, Hyman has been good but he'll never be great, if we want TO to be great we must retain our great players.

Where does Hyman fit in TO's winger hierarchy, I'd say Marner and Nylander are better/will be better long range, Mikheyev, Robertson and maybe Kerfoot could probably replace/exceed Hyman, in different ways but their value as compared to him should ultimately not be less. Then there's Barabanov and Anderson, two players with jam/intangibles in their games with the potential to become as good as Hyman, in the right situation.

TO has a lot of winger depth, Kadri was traded because he was making too much for a 3rd line center or as another winger and Hyman will probably be making too much soon as well.
I'd say yes. Sorry for you typing all that for a one word answer.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It depends on a lot of factors. Ie do the other wings look like they're making him expendable by the tdl for example.

That said, this season above all else, the team will be looking to make a playoff run past the 1st round. And I'd wager management, even if they think he will walk in the offseason, will still be more valuable than any tdl rental piece. Whether or not that proves to be the right decision won't be answered until we see where the Leafs finish.

Reactions: saltming

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The winger depth was already drawn from with the trading away of Kapanen and Johnsson. Each player was more expensive against the cap than Hyman is. However, they also offered more in terms of contract certainty (term). I don't think impending free agency will take precedent over icing what is perceived to be the best team.

Dealing Hyman requires another winger to cement a spot in the top six. That is already assuming Mikheyev can join Marner and Nylander there. Those options are either pending UFAs themselves (Simmonds, Vesey), generally unproven at the NHL level, or in such a significant role (Robertson, Anderson), or both (Barabanov).

Maybe there's that chance Hyman could prove expendable going into next season if a couple of things materialize? That certainly isn't the case right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: notDatsyuk

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

There is another post about Hyman and his next contract. In an ideal world Hyman plays on the third line. Players don’t get better with age once the are hitting that 30 milestone. If he wants to remain a leaf we likely give him a 7 year deal in around 3.25-3.5.

I suspect both Amirov and Robertson end up being far more prolific scorers than Hyman but he does so many things right and has a great motor. To have a player who can slide up or down the lineup would be massive.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
This man's value cannot be overstated. He represents all the value of the Leafs I remember
I was so critical of him. I still am. Not because of the man, but what he's asked to do. Reminds me of Bozak a bit. Asked to play 1st line center when he's really a third liner

I can definitely seem him resigning, unlike some Leafers, he actually looks like he's interested in staying here

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
No, we shouldn't trade him. The goal is to win the cup, not to toil in mediocrity endlessly. Nobody has usurped Hyman in four years, nor do we have anyone that can replace what he brings.

I'm not so sure about that Robertson looks pretty good

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Unfortunately, I think pandemic economics will depress player salaries and going forward guys looking for new deals won't be getting the kind of contracts they used to. So guys like Hyman (and Rielly) may be easier to keep if they aren't expecting massive, massive raises because they'll need to live in a flat cap environment, and not a lot of teams will have a) cap space and b) real money over the next couple of years.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Hyman/dubas will ride out this year of unknowns and flat cap etc. They won’t trade him. Hyman likes playing at home or as home as you can be i suppose for a Nhl’er.

They would move Kerfoot to keep him. They would move or tweek what they need to to keep him. He falls right in there with Andersen too going Ufa the same year.

I wouldn’t mind keeping both. Would Andersen and Hyman take contracts with huge signing bonuses but only a Million more per each? Who knows but they can’t both be retained for much more than that each as raise.

I like both,would want both back if the numbers are right only. I think they could be both retained with bonuses loaded in for the big July payments.

So I’m saying it works @ $1,000,000 more each front loaded or so. Lets just say top end wiggle room is $3,000,000 shared and front loaded contracts.

That would be $6,500,000 for Andersen and $3,750,000 per for Hyman.

There are options to do that. Much better options than letting them walk at seasons end definitely.

Last edited:

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Pretty sure if you trade a star like Marner you will be getting a hell of a player(s) back with similar salary obligations.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Underrated underappreciated player; Hyman is the heart of the team and what the team lacks. Need more Hyman not less. NO
You could always have more Hyman.

Problem is that those players often give you their best years on team friendly deals then you get screwed later by paying them when their bodies start to break down.

We cannot afford to go down the road of a Helm/Abdelkader type of deal. We got off the Komarov train at the right time luckily.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
I like Hyman and hope he stays.

He forced a trade to the Leafs to get her so hopefully he settles for a fair team friendly covid contract after this one.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
You could always have more Hyman.

Problem is that those players often give you their best years on team friendly deals then you get screwed later by paying them when their bodies start to break down.

We cannot afford to go down the road of a Helm/Abdelkader type of deal. We got off the Komarov train at the right time luckily.

I agree completely with this theory and a lot of bad 'desperate' gambles on players happen that look really bad; often but not always being a player picked up from another team.

In this case the window is now, we know or have a very good idea of what we're getting from Hyman at least for the next 3ish years, beyond that is uncertain and debatable. We need him here the next few years to win, there is a possibility down the road that we'll have to deal with a declined Hyman and his cap hit, but if we win a cup it's worth it. Who knows how competitive the team is at that time, hopefully we still are. A good sign is that his protectory reminds me some of Chris Kunitz; guy works hard and has gotten better every single year here. That guy made the Olympic team beating out a lot of good players at the age of 34. Not saying he does that but he certainly isn't an early bloomer of a player. He's a top 6 that is suited for the bottom 6, if the cap hit fits he is still at least valuable on a given night.

I'm guessing he takes a hometown discount unlike Money Marner. In the next couple years we lose by losing him and gamble by keeping him, I think it's a good gamble.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
I agree completely with this theory and a lot of bad 'desperate' gambles on players happen that look really bad; often but not always being a player picked up from another team.

In this case the window is now, we know or have a very good idea of what we're getting from Hyman at least for the next 3ish years, beyond that is uncertain and debatable. We need him here the next few years to win, there is a possibility down the road that we'll have to deal with a declined Hyman and his cap hit, but if we win a cup it's worth it. Who knows how competitive the team is at that time, hopefully we still are. A good sign is that his protectory reminds me some of Chris Kunitz; guy works hard and has gotten better every single year here. That guy made the Olympic team beating out a lot of good players at the age of 34. Not saying he does that but he certainly isn't an early bloomer of a player. He's a top 6 that is suited for the bottom 6, if the cap hit fits he is still at least valuable on a given night.

I'm guessing he takes a hometown discount unlike Money Marner. In the next couple years we lose by losing him and gamble by keeping him, I think it's a good gamble.

I'm guessing he takes a hometown discount unlike Money Marner. In the next couple years we lose by losing him and gamble by keeping him, I think it's a good gamble. Right now is more important than the future, I would not have said that a few years ago with the Marleau signing though, we'd be talking then about now.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Hyman/dubas will ride out this year of unknowns and flat cap etc. They won’t trade him. Hyman likes playing at home or as home as you can be i suppose for a Nhl’er.
Since Hyman basically got himself traded to Toronto because he would have signed as a free agent once the Panthers lost his draft rights, is that something Dubas can use to his advantage if he wants to re-sign him.

Plus let's remember it was Dubas who made the actual trade to get Hyman's rights from the Panthers and signed him to that 2 year ELC.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
4qom78.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad