If Boston loses to Florida, SHOULD they blow it up?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Everything is based on your division. If Boston can still compete with the TB, FLA, Tor, etc, they will continue to upgrade the roster. Tor and TB still top heavy. FLA trending that way depending on what they do with Reinhart. If you get through your division, you are into the ECF.
Let me ask you this though - if Boston blows it up, which likely involves moving out their veteran core, as that is usually how that works, how long do you think a team of young guys just coming into the league will take to compete with the likes of TB, FLA and Toronto in the division? They are more likely to end up in a toxic cycle of mediocrity, like (no offense) Buffalo, Columbus, Edmonton in the decade pre-McDavid and Draisaitl, etc. How long do you expect Boston to be able to re-build a core that is a contender against these other teams? They are better off to keep trying to improve as they go along, and hope they can luck into a prospect who becomes a 1C for them in the middle of the round or as a later round pick,

I expect a lot of teams to just wait around hopeful for the next 2 offseasons, as they hope that Draisaitl and McDavid become available as their contracts near their expiration dates in Edmonton.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Sounds like consensus is "one last hurrah" next season with cap space to make a play for a Center.

If they can't get out of the 2nd round next year though, then the writing is likely on the wall.

Maybe one last Hurrah for Marchand. But everyone else is or will be locked up for a while which hopefully includes a #1 center.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Maybe one last Hurrah for Marchand. But everyone else is or will be locked up for a while which hopefully includes a #1 center.
As of now, only Pastrnak (expensive UFA deal), Coyle and Zacha are signed Forwards for 2025-26. Boqvist, Geekie, Lauko are Arb-Eligible RFAs prior that, and John Beecher is a non-RFA eligible RFA. The others will need a UFA contract or will be gone. There's a lot more questions than answers for a team that was 12th in goals scored up front. A year too early is probably better than a year too late, but I get the business side and the hope that a good offseason can change the fortunes.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
As of now, only Pastrnak (expensive UFA deal), Coyle and Zacha are signed Forwards for 2025-26. Boqvist, Geekie, Lauko are Arb-Eligible RFAs prior that, and John Beecher is a non-RFA eligible RFA. The others will need a UFA contract or will be gone. There's a lot more questions than answers for a team that was 12th in goals scored up front. A year too early is probably better than a year too late, but I get the business side and the hope that a good offseason can change the fortunes.

They need to rebuild the forward group certainly. Hopefully they can secure a high end center to play with Pasta. Then fill in around the other guys. Maybe Merkulov and Lysell can make the jump. Poitras looked good for a 19 year old before he got hurt. Maybe he keeps developing into something.

They are set on the backend (McAvoy, Lindholm, Carlo, Lohrei, Peeke) and in net (if they resign Swayman) for a while.

And the caps only going to keep going up.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
I mean they're a good team tbf. But are they realistic Cup contenders? No and haven't been for quite a few years. They do very well in the reg szn bc there's definitely a winning culture there and they know how to pull out wins but when they're facing the truly elite teams in the conference they don't stack up.

Lack of a 1C, 2C and elite scoring options is really becoming evident. If anything based on their lineup they are HUGE overachievers.

We have completely different standards in that case. They're right there in the middle of the pack tier, I would say a solid 2 tiers behind actual Stanley Cup contenders.

I agree they played well over their head this season from a talent prospective, issue is their biggest holes are far from a quick and rapid fix, particularly long term.

They're in purgatory, and they're going to need a lot of help to get out of it, the foundation isn't even there down the middle.

Reactions: Sdevils42

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
as a Habsfan watching them this spring, there's no way they will blow it up. Swayman, Pasta and McAvoy are all still young cornerstones.
I also believe, they have enough cash this summer to go after Lindholm and maybe some other C's. Ullmark will also probably be available for forward help.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Absolutely not they are going to trade Ullmark for a good piece and get a bunch of cap space. They should be going after a center in free agency like Stephenson. Another scoring forward in the Ullmark deal as well as re sign Debrusk. Theyre going to be a much better team next year.
God no

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Their only real play is to trade Ullmark for that sort of of thing.. but goalie trade market is notoriously not great. Everyone knows you are trading from a place of relative weakness because having two goaltenders is just excessive.
only real play is Ulmark trade?
And the 23 mill in cap space that is coming.
that's a real play
Charlie need help on D . He ain't ad good as projected. Need a committee back there. And a Dman than can work a powerplay.
Another center .

Last edited:

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
I would trade Ullmark for draft picks. Preferably a mid-late first, considering he is a vezina winner last year and had a very good year this time around as well. Bergy and Krecjis bonus penalties are off the books as well. Should give us some money to pursue a big physical defender that we so desperately need. Lindholm, Carlo, Peeke, Wotherspoon don't really hit or play physical, and this series is really highlighting how soft our Defensemen are when it comes to physicality.

ShippinUpToBoston

May 19, 2010
Plymouth, MA
I would absolutely blow it up. Not because they’re losing, we knew this would be a bit of a transition year and they exceeded expectations but it’s the way they’re losing. There is zero toughness on this team aside from Maroon who’s coming off back surgery and will most likely be gone after this season anyway. They don’t stick up for each other and they’re just not built for the playoffs and that has been the case since Sweeney became GM. I would keep Swayman and McAvoy, I’d also keep Marchand mainly because I know he’d end up coming back to beat us in a Habs jersey. I wouldn’t just throw Pasta away but I’d definitely shop him around, somebody would over pay for him.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
All they need is to just add some scoring power upfront and they are in a very good position. Certainly need a quality center at the very least. Plenty of UFAs they could go after.

Got 26M cap space after trading Ulmark. Swayman extension takes maybe 7M of that, but still plenty of room.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Boston is not in that bad of a spot. Could probably use a 1C. Maybe Poitras will develop in to this player or they will trade for one

Pastrnak, McAvoy, Swayman better than most teams' top F, D and G

goflyakite

Apr 29, 2011
Ontario
That's how you become the Thornton/Marleau-led San Jose Sharks. One of the best teams in the regular seasons but always choke in the playoffs.

If your "core" players continually don't give you Cup winning caliber perfomances, you need to chuck them and start over.
The Edmonton Oilers for the longest time were a bad example of the be shit for many years way. I mean they might still be a bad example of it.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I would absolutely blow it up. Not because they’re losing, we knew this would be a bit of a transition year and they exceeded expectations but it’s the way they’re losing. There is zero toughness on this team aside from Maroon who’s coming off back surgery and will most likely be gone after this season anyway. They don’t stick up for each other and they’re just not built for the playoffs and that has been the case since Sweeney became GM. I would keep Swayman and McAvoy, I’d also keep Marchand mainly because I know he’d end up coming back to beat us in a Habs jersey. I wouldn’t just throw Pasta away but I’d definitely shop him around, somebody would over pay for him.
Please for the love of god someone explain to me how getting tougher is going to change the fact that they had less than 20 shots in 3 of the 4 games this series?

They need top 6 forwards like 10000x more than toughness.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
This is insanity. They have Pasta, McAvoy, Swayman and then a bunch of guys. They finally have cap space and can fill around and shuffle pieces. Maroon hasnt done shit. He needs to sucker Bennett. Bennett wont fight him. Who cares if he is out for the next 20 games

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Please for the love of god someone explain to me how getting tougher is going to change the fact that they had less than 20 shots in 3 of the 4 games this series?

Because most of the forwards they have do nothing. They can't score and they don't provide toughness.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I mean they were one of the best teams this year. They have the team concept down, a culture that most teams would love to have. They just need scoring depth.

They probably need to do a big coup to give them the depth to go further in the playoffs.
They are also quite old and have literally nothing in the pipeline aside from Fabian Lysell in pushing the needle but they do have a great back end and 2 great goalies doubt they blow it up until Marchand is done so after the 25 season maybe?

• Haha
Reactions: Kimota

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
They need to rebuild the forward group certainly. Hopefully they can secure a high end center to play with Pasta. Then fill in around the other guys.
The thing is to secure a high end center they need to move one of their better Dmen right?

I think alot of the direction of the Bruins depends on if Jake DeBrusk resigns or moves on but after Pasta and an aging Marchand their forward group isn't all that good.

Maybe Merkulov and Lysell can make the jump. Poitras looked good for a 19 year old before he got hurt. Maybe he keeps developing into something.
Lysell is probably the only guy that might have first line potential the other 2 guys maybe top 9 guys but nothing that moves the needle.

They are set on the backend (McAvoy, Lindholm, Carlo, Lohrei, Peeke) and in net (if they resign Swayman) for a while.

And the caps only going to keep going up.
At some point their system and lack of picks is going to catch up, will be interesting to see what they end up doing.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
They are also quite old and have literally nothing in the pipeline aside from Fabian Lysell in pushing the needle but they do have a great back end and 2 great goalies doubt they blow it up until Marchand is done so after the 25 season maybe?
Who is old besides Marchand?

ShippinUpToBoston

May 19, 2010
Plymouth, MA

I’m not saying they need a team full of goons but they need physical players. That’s what wins this time of year. It’s how we won in 2011 and it’s how we lost in 2019.

Reactions: longtime lurker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad