If Boston loses to Florida, SHOULD they blow it up?

FU Shoresy

Jan 25, 2023
You have no idea how frustrating this year was, we iced what is essentially four #3 centers. If they can pickup at least a #2 center and Poitras can continue where he left off everyone will naturally slide in their natural postion.
Add a stud winger, a solid stay at home physical D man and a couple bottom line bangers that play with energy. While they've been good and play a great system. They don't dominate teams physically anymore. Gotta get back to being the Big Bad Bruins!

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
They're a zombie team. The players in the system are not of the magnitude to win it all.

Maybe they make a splash in UFA and keep being a playoff team but the championship days are gone.

They never respected top end playmaking talent and that's why they never got it done. If they don't pivot some of the drafting strategy, they'll be where Calgary, Nashville and Winnipeg are - nowhere. Taking players like Beecher is so predictable.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would give it one more year with Marchand still under contact for 6.125M Bruins have a solid D and G core that makes them a tough team to play against. They need to find a Center or 2 that can play with Pasta and Marchand. Coyle and Zacha are better suited as #3C's. It's going to be interesting to see how Sweeney approaches this. UFA or trade? If they can fill the void, I can see another 100+ point season next year.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

If Boston loses to Florida, SHOULD they blow it up?​

The state of Florida? Seems a bit petulant, but I can see an upside.
I am a life long Floridian supporting the "Blow up Florida" movement. It'll end up being the only vote I cast this year that makes me happy

24 others

Jan 30, 2017
Please for the love of god someone explain to me how getting tougher is going to change the fact that they had less than 20 shots in 3 of the 4 games this series?

They need top 6 forwards like 10000x more than toughness.
This exactly. A team full of third-liners at forward will remain a team of third-liners, regardless of whether they are tough or not.

Reactions: NDiesel

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm sure you at least want the Panhandle gone.
Whatever gets rid of the people who won't shut the hell up with the constant "boogity boogity political party I don't like is destroying the country boogity boogity, my candidate for POTUS is a God and yours needs to die"

It. Never. Stops. For 4 years. It. Hasn't. Stopped

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
You have no idea how frustrating this year was, we iced what is essentially four #3 centers. If they can pickup at least a #2 center and Poitras can continue where he left off everyone will naturally slide in their natural postion.
Coyle played like a low level #2 this RS. Zacha played like a #3 given he had Pastrnak
as his RW.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I think part of the regular season dominance is having two elite goalies: playing Ullmark against the average backup in the league is insane and probably adds like 4-5 wins a season.

There are some critiques of Montgomery: I don't he handled the two goalie system well against the Panthers well last season, and he is losing control of the narrative right now.

You kind of want a Zito that finds buy-low guys to fill in your holes. Bennett and Verhaege were bargain finds as were Montour and Forsling. That's what you need to supplement 88 and 63.
Those 4 are a once in a lifetime grand slam of moves. Asking honestly has another franchise hit like that post cap?

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I would absolutely blow it up. Not because they’re losing, we knew this would be a bit of a transition year and they exceeded expectations but it’s the way they’re losing. There is zero toughness on this team aside from Maroon who’s coming off back surgery and will most likely be gone after this season anyway. They don’t stick up for each other and they’re just not built for the playoffs and that has been the case since Sweeney became GM. I would keep Swayman and McAvoy, I’d also keep Marchand mainly because I know he’d end up coming back to beat us in a Habs jersey. I wouldn’t just throw Pasta away but I’d definitely shop him around, somebody would over pay for him.
Pastrnak has an NMC. You would need to poison the well to trade him.

Lohrei is 23 and isn't mediocre.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I would give it one more year with Marchand still under contact for 6.125M Bruins have a solid D and G core that makes them a tough team to play against. They need to find a Center or 2 that can play with Pasta and Marchand. Coyle and Zacha are better suited as #3C's. It's going to be interesting to see how Sweeney approaches this. UFA or trade? If they can fill the void, I can see another 100+ point season next year.

Solid D?

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Again, he has been elevated by 33\37 his entire career.

Marino has been at least 2nd pair D man the last 3 years, so no he isn't 3rd pairing.
When was the last time that Chara "carried" a pair? Just going from recollection, it wouldn't have been his last couple years, and he's been retired for 2 years now. That means that the Chara excuse would have ended before the pandemic. Bergeron was obviously a special defensive center, but I don't see people denigrating every d-man who happens to get to play with the Selke winner.

McAvoy was the undisputed #1 on a play-off team that had home ice in the 1st round and made it to the 2nd. That team by the way had it's #1/#2C be filled by guys who are more #3C's.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
When was the last time that Chara "carried" a pair? Just going from recollection, it wouldn't have been his last couple years, and he's been retired for 2 years now. That means that the Chara excuse would have ended before the pandemic. Bergeron was obviously a special defensive center, but I don't see people denigrating every d-man who happens to get to play with the Selke winner.

McAvoy was the undisputed #1 on a play-off team that had home ice in the 1st round and made it to the 2nd. That team by the way had it's #1/#2C be filled by guys who are more #3C's.
Coyle RS play was legitimately low to mid level 2C. Chara was no All Star granted but he was still effective in his own zone in '20 and provided deterence on dirty shit. Ask Svechnikov whom he removed from the '20 PO.

McAvoy has had 3 consecutive underachieving PO series in a row. Doesn't have a single SOG this series, leads the PO in TO and has been directly or heaviky responsible for 4GLG.

I would say he wasn't a top 10 D man this year and can see his top 6 spot on the
2026 USOT being in jeapordy and falling down around top 20. Still a #1 but overrated.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Honestly, I figured they'd be a bubble playoff team this year. I didn't even think they'd get out of the series vs the Leafs.

I'm more excited for the cap space the Bruins have in the summer. Now, what they do with it is another story.

Pastrnak, McAvoy, Swayman.

Build around those 3.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Coyle RS play was legitimately low to mid level 2C. Chara was no All Star granted but he was still effective in his own zone in '20 and provided deterence on dirty shit. Ask Svechnikov whom he removed from the '20 PO.

McAvoy has had 3 consecutive underachieving PO series in a row. Doesn't have a single SOG this series, leads the PO in TO and has been directly or heaviky responsible for 4GLG.

I would say he wasn't a top 10 D man this year and can see his top 6 spot on the
2026 USOT being in jeapordy and falling down around top 20. Still a #1 but overrated.
I think we can agree to disagree on Coyle. His production this year was mostly due to his role, and on a traditional "good" team he'd be the #3. (And when I thought about it - having a #3 in the #1 role might not be a bad thing from a team defense perspective depending on the players involved.)

I haven't concentrated enough on McAvoy's P/O performance to have a valid opinion. If he is buckling like you suggest - it would be a case where he isn't as good as his reputation would indicate.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
"Blow it up", in the sense of tanking is obviously nonsense. Teams don't do that when they're a 100+ pt team that is still currently competing in round 2. They don't look like a Stanley Cup winning team, but when teams are in that position, they try to build on what they have and/or make some bold moves to get better next season.

The foundation of the team is basically all coming back and mostly young, and they have a ton of cap space. I don't think they need to subtract from what they have, as they aren't capped out and have room to add a big fish in free agency or on the trade market. Adding a top line talent isn't easy, but if their management can make a big splash for an impact player I don't see the big deal in trading a first round pick or some assets from an Ullmark trade. There's always going to be some players available from teams that want to make changes (think a player like Marner) and if you have cap space that's a good start to facilitate a deal.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Unless Pastrnak wants out, they're not doing anything but trying to win for at least the next half dozen years. That doesn't mean they might not bottom out in one year and grab a high pick or something, but there's no full scale bottom-up rebuild. They'll bank on finding another non-top 5 pick Pastrnak, Marchand, Bergeron type guy, and keep on keeping on.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Toronto is the prime team in need of blowing it up. Should the Leafs do so this upcoming season, Boston ought to wait it out until next season before attempting a complete rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad