Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
440383891_838491304982581_6937625326355032242_n.jpg

USA , Germany, Slovakia and Canada should be higher. Sweden down to 8th

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Poland (in OT), France (in OT) and Kazakhistan... No idea what last year's tourney has to do with this years power rankings.
So what you're saying is that unlike Czechia or Slovakia, we remain unbeaten? And to put insult to injury - beaten by the likes of Germany and Switzerland? Latvia has only been beaten by the reigning World Champions over the last 11 games. That sure sounds like Latvia should be ranked higher than Slovakia and Czechia, sourpuss. Oh, wait, we are ranked higher!

• Haha
Reactions: kudla and Jakk123

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Just 10 of the last 11 games at the Worlds, no biggie
How is last year relevant in any way, shape or form? The power rankings are based on this tournament alone and change after each round of play. Latvia has had tight games against poor opposition. I can see them being put relatively high because of the points they accumulated, but so far they have only played the worst teams and were not very convincing.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
How is last year relevant in any way, shape or form? The power rankings are based on this tournament alone and change after each round of play. Latvia has had tight games against poor opposition. I can see them being put relatively high because of the points they accumulated, but so far they have only played the worst teams and were not very convincing.

I mean, they have power rankings even before the tournament begins.

So there is some degree of roster analysis involved too.

CanadaIsIrrelevant

Mar 20, 2011
I checked and apparently they changed the fine print to:

"The Power Rankings are for the enjoyment of IIHF.com readers, and reflect the progress of teams during the IIHF Ice Hockey Men's World Championship. They are distinct from the official standings and IIHF Men's World Ranking."

View attachment 871074

They have to put that to not offend people who don’t understand sarcasm.

It’s like North Americans need “caution hot content” on coffee cups.

• Haha
Reactions: SwissFan12

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
So what you're saying is that unlike Czechia or Slovakia, we remain unbeaten? And to put insult to injury - beaten by the likes of Germany and Switzerland? Latvia has only been beaten by the reigning World Champions over the last 11 games. That sure sounds like Latvia should be ranked higher than Slovakia and Czechia, sourpuss. Oh, wait, we are ranked higher!
Again, last year’s championship is a complete irrelevance as these rankings are a (tongue-in-cheek) assessment of current performance day to day. It’s just a bit of fun, it is really weird you take it so seriously. Latvia can justifiably be put higher in these power rankings than Slovakia given the points they have accumulated, but come on! The points total is more of a result of the order of play to date rather than actual strength. Latvia beating the mighty Poland and France in OT is not nearly as impressive as Slovakia doing the same to the US. Of course Slovakia has so far been a better team at this tournament than Latvia, irrespective of points. The power rankings mean nothing - they are there to amuse, and possibly to get forum threads started..

Reactions: Czechboy

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Europeans love to generalize about North Americans.

They stand out in every thread.
Whereas we never see Canadians generalise about Europeans, eh? Divers, this and that… I have not ever seen Canadians do that, and I have certainly never seen Canadian fans on forums put forward stereotypical views about the Czech team in exchanges on Czech Rep - Canada games. It’s only ever Europeans who stereotype.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Whereas we never see Canadians generalise about Europeans, eh? Divers, this and that… I have not ever seen Canadians do that, and I have certainly never seen Canadian fans on forums put forward stereotypical views about the Czech team in exchanges on Czech Rep - Canada games. It’s only ever Europeans who stereotype.

It’s a joke based on his posts in another thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad