News: IIHF rules Fedotov has a valid NHL contract, IIHF discipline for Fedotov and CSKA

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
The International Ice Hockey Federation ruled in favor of the Philadelphia Flyers on Monday by agreeing that Russian goaltender Ivan Fedotov had a valid NHL contract for the upcoming season when he signed with CSKA Moscow in the KHL.

The decision paves the way for Fedotov to play in North America, like he planned to do a year ago before being conscripted into the Russian military.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
What authority does the IIHF have with NHL/KHL contract disputes?

Not a whole lot. They can’t for example void either Fedotov’s NHL or KHL contract. The main thing the IIHF has direct authority over are any IIHF sanctioned tournaments like the World Championships.

The IIHF issued a 4 month “IIHF suspension” for Fedotov, but the NHL doesn‘t recognize IIHF suspensions. I’m not sure whether or not the KHL does, but I’d suspect they don’t. Which would mean Fedotov can play in the KHL during his IIHF suspension.

The IIHF also issued a one year ban on approving any international transfers to or from CSKA. I’m not familiar with how often teams like CSKA use international transfers, but this ban could be more impactful than the “Fedotov suspension”.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
In accordance with Article II.4.1 of the IIHF International Transfer Regulations, Ivan Fedotov was given two (2) weeks to either go back to his former club (i.e Philadelphia Flyers Hockey Club); or obtain a release from his former club. As neither action occurred within the given period, the IIHF has imposed the following sporting sanctions on Ivan Fedotov:

Given that Fedotov has been given two weeks to figure things out and didn't, I'm going to bet that no sanctions are going to lure him to the NHL. And since one of his options was to ask the Flyers to release him (Which I'd assume his agent tried for), it appears the Flyers aren't interested in rolling over here without any incentive.

So we have the KHL obviously poaching NHL contracts, with the IIHF agreeing, and the KHL simply choosing to ignore the obvious. Does the NHL have the guts to take any action? Do any NHL teams have the guts to poach KHL talent in retaliation? I'm guessing "No" to both those questions.

Reactions: Sweetpotato

rams

Feb 2, 2015
Canada
Given that Fedotov has been given two weeks to figure things out and didn't, I'm going to bet that no sanctions are going to lure him to the NHL. And since one of his options was to ask the Flyers to release him (Which I'd assume his agent tried for), it appears the Flyers aren't interested in rolling over here without any incentive.

So we have the KHL obviously poaching NHL contracts, with the IIHF agreeing, and the KHL simply choosing to ignore the obvious. Does the NHL have the guts to take any action? Do any NHL teams have the guts to poach KHL talent in retaliation? I'm guessing "No" to both those questions.
It gets interesting considering its the Flyers that are getting poached, particularly when they just drafted a young Russian they would probably love to poach.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

The IIHF has clearly disagreed, but their power and disciplinary options are limited.

Reactions: DaveG and Redpath

pandro

Dec 7, 2014
I mean yeah but Fedotov is still stuck in Russia and Russia will probably throw him on the front lines if he tries to defect to the United States.
It's worth noting that the whole duration of his compulsary service was spent with the Navy hockey team.

Reactions: Marshall

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

It’s not that simple.
There are differing opinions/factions within the KHL itself…some who want abide by the IIHF’s decision, others who don’t.

This is a intra-KHL tug of war just as much as it is a KHL vs NHL one.
The Russian Ice Hockey Federation obviously sides with the IIHF too.

CSKA will certainly appeal. This will give time for the league to come to a consensus.
We’ll see.

Last edited:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
To get exposure. The NHL pay a pittance for the 10+ years of development clubs all over the world are responsible for.
Is NHL trying to expand in Sochi? PyeongChang? Beijing?

I don't think it works as you assume.

The preseason games overseas every year are more in line with what a marketing try to conquer new territories look like.

Reactions: cptjeff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad