Inaugural Night was a Missed Opportunity

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
I think last night’s Inaugural night was disappointing and a missed opportunity.

They play one video highlighting the 1998 season at 6:50 when nobody is in the stands. Then, after the national anthem, they introduced 12 players (which was cool), then Bruno dropped the ceremonial face-off puck, and it was over. They bring all those guys back for 5 minutes.

Zero creativity. It was almost like they were checking a box.

Things they could have done:
  • Highlighted the 1998 season and the players via videos throughout the night.
  • Had the current Preds wear the 1998 jerseys during the game, or at least during warmups.
  • Introduce Trotz with the players. He was the damn coach.
  • Introduce Pete Weber, who called the first game. Maybe have him introduce the players instead of Paul.
  • Play late 90’s music, including songs from the “Check Please” CD they produced in 1999.
  • Include fans who attended the first game in the ceremony. Interview them about what it was like and play those clips during timeouts.
  • Encourage fans to wear throwback jerseys to the game.
  • Have some leading players (Legs, Ronning, etc.) talk to the fans, thanking them.
  • Play vintage Jumbotron videos like “Pred-a-tors” and the stomping Dino We Will Rock you all night.
  • Show each player's 1998 and 2024 comparison headshots on the jumbotron.
  • Have quick player interviews recorded and played throughout the game.
  • Show more old highlights of the first game and season on the Jumbotron during timeouts.

Why bring all these guys back for a quick announcement before the game?

This highlights a more significant point that’s been evident over the past few years. The “Game Experience” has become stale and uncreative. Gnash has been mailing it in. No more rafter drops. No more sledding down the lower bowl stairs. No more live dancing. Whoever the latest Gnash is lacks the skills of past Gnash’s.

I love this organization, but somebody creative must be missing because it shows.

Am I right or just getting crotchety?

Southstarpreds

Dec 15, 2023
I think last night’s Inaugural night was disappointing and a missed opportunity.

They play one video highlighting the 1998 season at 6:50 when nobody is in the stands. Then, after the national anthem, they introduced 12 players (which was cool), then Bruno dropped the ceremonial face-off puck, and it was over. They bring all those guys back for 5 minutes.

Zero creativity. It was almost like they were checking a box.

Things they could have done:
  • Highlighted the 1998 season and the players via videos throughout the night.
  • Had the current Preds wear the 1998 jerseys during the game, or at least during warmups.
  • Introduce Trotz with the players. He was the damn coach.
  • Introduce Pete Weber, who called the first game. Maybe have him introduce the players instead of Paul.
  • Play late 90’s music, including songs from the “Check Please” CD they produced in 1999.
  • Include fans who attended the first game in the ceremony. Interview them about what it was like and play those clips during timeouts.
  • Encourage fans to wear throwback jerseys to the game.
  • Have some leading players (Legs, Ronning, etc.) talk to the fans, thanking them.
  • Play vintage Jumbotron videos like “Pred-a-tors” and the stomping Dino We Will Rock you all night.
  • Show each player's 1998 and 2024 comparison headshots on the jumbotron.
  • Have quick player interviews recorded and played throughout the game.
  • Show more old highlights of the first game and season on the Jumbotron during timeouts.

Why bring all these guys back for a quick announcement before the game?

This highlights a more significant point that’s been evident over the past few years. The “Game Experience” has become stale and uncreative. Gnash has been mailing it in. No more rafter drops. No more sledding down the lower bowl stairs. No more live dancing. Whoever the latest Gnash is lacks the skills of past Gnash’s.

I love this organization, but somebody creative must be missing because it shows.

Am I right or just getting crotchety?
The stupid old rap music over, and over. Play some rock music get the place rockin.

Reactions: SouthNash

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Probably a bit of both. :sarcasm:

I do think more should have been done with the returning alumni. The long time season ticket holder interviews should have been done in the summer and interspersed throughout the season.

Unfortunately, the larger issue is that regular fans are the minority now. The cohesion 303 would bring is gone, mostly because the ringleaders are not there anymore. I don't have any great answers but I agree that we need a refresh on the game experience.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
The 98 jerseys could not have happened during the game or warm ups due to 1) not being the approved 3rd for the year and 2) all special jerseys are banned during warm ups due to the Pride night freak outs.

Reactions: Viqsi

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
They also missed on the auction last night. The old jersey up for bid was a 99-00 Kjellberg when they've unknowingly auctioned off 10/10/98 home sweaters earlier this year. The foundation is clueless.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
I completely agree about the "Inaugural Night". Someone said, so after the Alumni dropped the puck, where did they go? They didn't even show the players on the jumbotron during the game. They could have acknowledged Valicevic getting the first hattrick, Legwand scoring the first home playoff goal, Mason's goal.

This whole 25th anniversary year has been a complete letdown. I thought they would show team history moments during each game. Surely there is a great moment in Preds history they could show against each team, or an on this date in Preds history. And show it during the game, not before the anthem.

My family are Day One's but have never been interviewed for anything, never won any contest. I haven't heard from a ticket rep in a few years. We got a Christmas card, it said they hoped to meet us soon. Well, you work each game, we've been in the same seats for 25 years, come find us and say hello.

They gave Day One STH a lanyard and the little badge thing that was connected to it was basically made of cardboard. It was one of the cheapest things I've ever seen. There is a set of 5 pins we can collect at certain games, there have been 4 so far, and I think 2 are pins that have been available to buy for the last 25 years.

We did get a nice piece of game used glass etched with the 25th Anniversary logo.

I don't know what I expected during this "anniversary season", but slapping a logo at center ice and giving DOSTH some pins aint it.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
TBH I forgot it was even a thing this season until they brought the guys out. It has got to be one of the biggest marketing mismanagements I've seen, and it really wouldn't be that hard, it just takes a bit of effort.

If a long time fan that has been watching since the start forgot it was even the 25th season you've definitely done something wrong.

Actually had a coworker and her family go to their first game a couple of weeks ago. They generally go to games down in Huntsville and she was sorely disappointed. She said the only plus from the whole night was somehow they managed not to pay for parking. She said they had a better experience night in and night out in Huntsville.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I completely agree about the "Inaugural Night". Someone said, so after the Alumni dropped the puck, where did they go? They didn't even show the players on the jumbotron during the game. They could have acknowledged Valicevic getting the first hattrick, Legwand scoring the first home playoff goal, Mason's goal.

This whole 25th anniversary year has been a complete letdown. I thought they would show team history moments during each game. Surely there is a great moment in Preds history they could show against each team, or an on this date in Preds history. And show it during the game, not before the anthem.

My family are Day One's but have never been interviewed for anything, never won any contest. I haven't heard from a ticket rep in a few years. We got a Christmas card, it said they hoped to meet us soon. Well, you work each game, we've been in the same seats for 25 years, come find us and say hello.

They gave Day One STH a lanyard and the little badge thing that was connected to it was basically made of cardboard. It was one of the cheapest things I've ever seen. There is a set of 5 pins we can collect at certain games, there have been 4 so far, and I think 2 are pins that have been available to buy for the last 25 years.

We did get a nice piece of game used glass etched with the 25th Anniversary logo.

I don't know what I expected during this "anniversary season", but slapping a logo at center ice and giving DOSTH some pins aint it.

They had some of the guys on the broadcast but even that was pathetic. The person to email about it is shenry at nashvillepredators.com

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
What's weird is that they did that 90s night game a couple seasons ago where they had Weber and Crispy commentate that was really great. Would have been cool to do something like that again.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Agree on the 25th being a real letdown. I don't go to the games for the gifts, but if you're going to have gifts for STH... well, at least have them be something we might care about. The lanyard wasn't it, for sure! And while I'm griping, I don't really understand some of the "nights" they've been having. 90's night, okay. Star Wars, people really seem to enjoy that. But why Grateful Dead? What possible connection does the band have to hockey or even to the people attending games. Sure I liked a couple of their songs but even I am not in their usual demographic and I'm getting on up there!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad