Info for fans visiting Buffalo

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Question on hotels: there are hotel clusters outside of town and by the airport. Is there regular bus service between these places and the downtown terminal? If I could pay $70 for a room in January when I'm going to Ryan Miller Night instead of $125 for one downtown that would be great.
I have not ridden a bus in Buffalo in decades. But since I'm not seeing any responses here, I'll give it a go.

The name of the public transportation network in Buffalo is the NFTA-Metro. They have a website with a trip planner. I checked it out and it looks to me like on weekdays, there are buses leaving from near the Key Bank Center at 10:03 and 10:53 for the 37 minute trip to the Buffalo Niagara Airport. Fare is $2 each way. Not sure of any other locations you're considering, but the NFTA website seems to have a lot of information, or I suppose you could just call.

Another option you might consider is an Airbnb along the Metro Rail line. I checked Airbnb and there were several apartments available for overnight stays in the Allentown area for less than $70 plus fees. Allentown is sort of a hipster area not too far from Key bank Arena - probably less than 10 minutes by rail. Lots of nice restaurants including Gabriel's Gate which I hear is know for some of the best wings in Buffalo. I don't eat wings, so I- don't have personal experience. The name Allentown is derived from Allen St - around which the area is centered. There's a Metro Rail stop right at Main and Allen Streets

That's all I got.....

Last edited:

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
I've been thinking of travelling down here for a game in the future. I want to know what areas of the 716 this, board, and fellow people who've been suggest as good places to grab food? (as well as different sites to venture to) but mainly grub.

Hoping to meet some of yall, too at a game!

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I've been thinking of travelling down here for a game in the future. I want to know what areas of the 716 this, board, and fellow people who've been suggest as good places to grab food? (as well as different sites to venture to) but mainly grub.

Chefs is a good place for Italian and is pretty casual.

Gabriel's Gate for Wings

Bar Bill's for Wings or Beef on Weck

Reactions: Club

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021

Hit up Satasieros on Niagara St for Italian. Been there for 70 years.

Reactions: Club

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Hello sabre fans. Im headed up for the jan 19th game. Best pregame spot for food and drinks near the arena? Thanks! (Im sure this has been asked ad nauseam)

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Wings. Nice local craft beer selection. Nice bourbon menu.

Gabriel's Gate is relatively close... have top notch wings and serve Southern Tier Brewery and Founding Fathers Brewery beer. Not sure about their bourbon menu

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Wings. Nice local craft beer selection. Nice bourbon menu.
You might need multiple stops. I don't eat wings, but Gabriel's gate seems to have a great reputation for them. If you seek bourbon, check out the bourbon list for Lucky Day Whiskey Bar. It's on Pearl St, not too far from Gabriel's Gate and close to the rapid transit line. The rapid transit happens to be free in the above ground section that includes to general locale of Lucky Day.

I've never been to Lucky Day to eat or drink, but bought a gift certificate for my son. Food is expensive, but they appear to have a daily happy hour with reasonably food options - but not wings. But bourbon they seem to have aplenty .

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
You might need multiple stops. I don't eat wings, but Gabriel's gate seems to have a great reputation for them. If you seek bourbon, check out the bourbon list for Lucky Day Whiskey Bar. It's on Pearl St, not too far from Gabriel's Gate and close to the rapid transit line. The rapid transit happens to be free in the above ground section that includes to general locale of Lucky Day.

I've never been to Lucky Day to eat or drink, but bought a gift certificate for my son. Food is expensive, but they appear to have a daily happy hour with reasonably food options - but not wings. But bourbon they seem to have aplenty .
Thanks for the information. Much appreciated.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
We hit Wingnutz at the newer North Buffalo Brewery location on Military Rd (and Hinman) location last night. Those were some tasty wings, wecks, and brews! About 15 minutes or so from downtown but recommended.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Gabriel's Gate is relatively close... have top notch wings and serve Southern Tier Brewery and Founding Fathers Brewery beer. Not sure about their bourbon menu

Gabriels Gate wings were top notch. Thanks for this recommendation.

We also did anchor wings bc thats what tourists do!

Also checked out big ditch brewery. Their pizza was OK. A little too doughy and cheesy for me but i guess im used to NYC pizza. But the day burner and hayburner IPAs were excellent. Im an IPA beer snob.

Despite the loss had a great time at the arena last night. Great atmosphere. Super packed bc of that ryan miller stuff. One of my fave experiences in all my hockey trips.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Gabriels Gate wings were top notch. Thanks for this recommendation.

We also did anchor wings bc thats what tourists do!

Also checked out big ditch brewery. Their pizza was OK. A little too doughy and cheesy for me but i guess im used to NYC pizza. But the day burner and hayburner IPAs were excellent. Im an IPA beer snob.

Despite the loss had a great time at the arena last night. Great atmosphere. Super packed bc of that ryan miller stuff. One of my fave experiences in all my hockey trips.
Nice. Glad you enjoyed. Even tho your team lost you got to see Sorokin put on a goaltending clinic. Kid is a beast.

markpenske

Jul 2, 2015
where is a good place in the North-towns with a ""large"" TV screen to watch Sabre games?

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Going to be in town tonight. First time in Buffalo so I’m looking forward to it.

We’re settled on where to go for Wings, we’re just looking for a pizza joint now. Is La Nova the best spot to hit up?

Thanks guys and good luck tonight !

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Going to be in town tonight. First time in Buffalo so I’m looking forward to it.

We’re settled on where to go for Wings, we’re just looking for a pizza joint now. Is La Nova the best spot to hit up?

Another contentious issue. La Nova is a popular choice, I’d probably go with Bocce Club Pizza

Reactions: Chainshot

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Where you heading for wings?

Stop by Paula's Donuts for dessert and try the peanut stick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad