Buffalo Bills It's the Off-Season. Go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
They needed the cap reset, and I think there were rightfully questions about whether Diggs not getting the ball for the entire second half of the season and playoffs were only because of Brady, or if he'd started to fall off or just become less able to bounce back from injuries and being dinged up.

That being said, I'm fully prepared to watch us beat KC in the divisional round, only to lose to Houston 41-38 in the AFCCG with Diggs going for 7/120/2, because Buffalo sports is pain.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Need to find about $9 in space immediately. I wonder where they get it. And then they get Tre’s savings June 1, which should cover draft picks and practice squad, etc.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
A trade up in the 1st round to select a WR has to be coming.
I could see this being a sign of the opposite approach, too.

They may want to double dip early at WR and get rookies to replace Davis and Diggs. If they do a big trade up, they will be allocating 4 or 5 draft picks to just 1 WR.

To get one of the top 3, they likely have to make a Julio Jones type offer of 28, 60, 133, '25 1st, & '25 4th.

And that means they do not pick until 128 after taking that big name WR early. For a team dealing with a cap crunch, I would be surprised if they took that approach.

But, I did not see this move coming, so who the heck knows what Beane will do next...

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Honestly, I don't see this as the Bills taking their medicine. It might actually help them out a bit. We'll see.
Long term, yes--I think Beane in part by necessity is going to be more judicious about handing out long-term deals. Short term (this year), they're eating $31M to get Diggs off the team.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

They may want to double dip early at WR and get rookies to replace Davis and Diggs. If they do a big trade up, they will be allocating 4 or 5 draft picks to just 1 WR.

To get one of the top 3, they likely have to make a Julio Jones type offer of 28, 60, 133, '25 1st, & '25 4th.

And that means they do not pick until 128 after taking that big name WR early. For a team dealing with a cap crunch, I would be surprised if they took that approach.

But, I did not see this move coming, so who the heck knows what Beane will do next...
That 2025 2nd round pick they acquired is nice draft capital for a potential trade up.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

That 2025 2nd round pick they acquired is nice draft capital for a potential trade up. That cap hit though!!

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Capture.PNG

Brandon Beane killed Spotrac with this trade.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
A trade up in the 1st round to select a WR has to be coming.
It could be, but it's not a requirement. And the Bills have other needs which would line up as BPA at pick 28 or even a trade up.

If you look at elite QBs as the progress, the better they get and older they get, the less they need the "elite #1 receiver." Early on, you want to surround a young QB with targets. Later, as the QB learns to read defenses and can get what he wants without an elite receiver, the less they need the elite WR. That was the case for Brady for sure, and it's becoming the case for Mahomes.

Brady was statistically best when he had Welker and Moss, but once the Pats went to Gronkowski and then eventually Edelman. Mahomes probably needed Hill early on, but eventually grew to not need a true #1 receiver, and just throw to the open player.

Offenses are actually at their best when there isn't a true #1 wide receiver demanding the ball. OCs with a bunch of #2 type receivers don't have egos to feed, and can just let the elite QB throw to the open man. Allen forced a lot of footballs that should've went elsewhere.

The other trend I see with elite QBs is having the top receiver as the tight end. Brady had Gronkowski, Mahomes has Kelce. I've been writing this for months, but Kincaid is going to be the top receiver by November, with or without Diggs.

So Beane may trade up and take a WR. But I don't think he has to. Adding receivers with an elite traits or two (Troy Franklin, McConkey, Walker, Rice, etc) who also doesn't need to be fed the ball, will get the job done.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Hoo Boy, Diggs must have really wanted out.

This really puts the 2nd half swoon of Diggs in perspective a bit. He must have simply checked out after the offensive coordinator switch. To be willing to eat that kind of massive dead cap, they must have felt they'd be better moving forward without him than deal with this for another year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad