News: J.T. Compher will be a UFA on July 1st

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I would think that the Jets will be sniffing around for centers on July 1.

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
With Compher last year stats, a team will easily give 4.5M and Colorado can't afford it
I will not be surprise if he gets a 5 year @ 27.5M

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

lowol

Nov 27, 2006
I thought Colorado fans hated his meh-ness... or was it just his usage?
He is a very valuable middle-6 player on most any team since he can play any situation (PP, PK, 2nd-line, defense-oriented 3rd line...) without being a glaring mess. It does come at the cost of being "meh" in all of those situations, and his effort level is inconsistent which makes him frustrating. Colorado will miss his versatility but not at the price he'll command.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I thought Colorado fans hated his meh-ness... or was it just his usage?
Since you asked : my take on Compher is this... when he's on and engaged, he's really good. The problem is - it doesn't always happen. Over the past 4 years, my estimate is that he's been on and engaged for roughly 40% of that contract - so about 1.5 years out of 4.

For some reason, Jared Bednar really loves this player and gave him a ton of love and opportunity during the course of the last 4 years. Even through times where his play was lackadaisical and half-hearted, where he would do fly-bys when he should have taken the body or mailed it in when he should have back-checked harder Bednar never benched him like he would other players. That's where the nickname (that I gave him) Son of Bednar came from because has just always seemed get a free pass from his 'dad'.

All in all, he's a very good yet inconsistent 3rd line player who is probably looking at being paid like a 2nd line player as a UFA. I'm thrilled it won't be the Avs that make that mistake.

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011
Feels like he's going to get paid in part because he got time up the lineup with guys like Rantanen when the Avs were so badly dinged up. More power to him, though I think a team acquiring him may not have a beast like Rantanen for him to play with and will have buyer's remorse.

Then again, maybe he winds up in Chicago, feeding pucks to Bedard and Hall as a new #1 line there and piles up even more points in the short term...
*shrug*
When Compher wasn't on a line with Rants, I swear I'd forget he was dressed for many games. His playoffs against Seattle was embarrassing to watch him out there. He's a decent 3rd line guy (who had a really good playoffs during the Av's cup run), but don't expect anything more from him.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Compher is a pretty good player and someone you love to have on a contender for depth, as he can move up in the lineup and do a decent job. He had 52 pts this season but also played 20+ minutes a night due to the teams injuries.

He's going to go for the big payday as he should, basically like Copp last season. But is he worth 5M per year? Not really.

I could see the likes of Chicago and Arizona being interested and willing to overpay.

Reactions: Patagonia

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I would be fine with Hawks overpaying for him on 3 or 4 yr term. He can fill #2C spot until a prospect comes along and takes it from him (Nazar or someone like that)

When that happens he can either be our #3C or shift to wing

Reichel-Compher-Raddysh is like I would like to see tried out

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
A very good secondary player - like somebody you want as a tweener, can play 2nd unit PP, and chip in as a 2nd unit PK - with some minor pest-like qualities. He plays a bit too soft for me and that effects him from being anything more than a solid 3rd line winger. Also, tends to get in these enigma periods during the season and has a weird personality (introvert).

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Depending on term, Chicago does not regret it, even if it’s 5.5.

They will be paying him to take pressure off Bedard and the young core and teach them the things that a winner knows.

if it’s 5.5x4 there is no regret from Chicago. If it’s 6-7 year, possibly, but even then I’m that time frame 3rd liners probably will actually be fetching 5ish with cap growth.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Good for Compher and thank you for your service JT.
Bad for the one GM who will hand out his new contract.......

NMAvsman

Jan 28, 2007
Will not be surprised if he gets 6 million for 3 or 4 years in a bidding war. Thank you JT but just no on that next contract.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Compher will be overpaid. Good 3C and average 2C, surrounded by strong Wingers and Elite DMen. Adding RyJo and Colton nearly guarantees his departure.

Prior to last season, fans wanted him gone due to being overpaid. I wouldn't be surprised in his accepting $5.5M for 6 years.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Incredibly quiet on the Compher front today.

Did he set too high of a price for his services and teams refused to bite?
I could see him be a Kadri lite contract, having to wait for the chaos to end before finding that right team with cap.

I would not also be shocked if he is trying to get the deal on a contender first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad