Jack Edwards announces he will retire after this season

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
I will not be moved from my position that prior to his illness, Edwards was one of the top PBP guys in the league on a technical level, and happened to have a performative homer streak which made him unpopular outside his home market (which was the only one he cared about).
Tremendously underrated PBP guy in his prime.

He got names right, he used descriptive phrasing, he kept up with the pace of the play, conveyed excitement using both pitch and pace, he didn't repeat himself, didn't stumble over his words... he was just... smooth.

Did he go a little bit overboard playing to his audience? Sure. But everything else was exactly what you were looking for in a top-notch PBP guy.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I will not be moved from my position that prior to his illness, Edwards was one of the top PBP guys in the league on a technical level, and happened to have a performative homer streak which made him unpopular outside his home market (which was the only one he cared about).
Completely agree. He was a regular strong contender for my favorite PBP guy - as I've said elsewhere, he's a homer, but he's one of those rare homers that recognizes that it makes your team look that more awesome when you also hype up the opponent, and consequentially he had far more praise for the Jackets than just about any other PBP guy I ever heard (as at best most of them try to forget we exist).

Hearing his speech issues getting worse was just incredibly disappointing. Hope he has a good retirement, and I hope he continues to enjoy his team as much as he clearly always does, even despite the failure and misery I would otherwise wish for said team. ;)

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
By far the most infuriating broadcasters to listen to if you’re the away team, and I mean that entirely as a compliment. Enjoy retirement.

You almost wish he fully leaned into it and just went straight into mean shit talk about the other team every game instead of giving them the occasional compliment to pretend to be professional.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
iu

Reactions: Summer Rose

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You almost wish he fully leaned into it and just went straight into mean shit talk about the other team every game instead of giving them the occasional compliment to pretend to be professional.
It was more than occasional, in my experience. And, again, for us Jackets fans even that was far, far, far more than we ever got from just about anybody else. The only exceptions that come to mind are other legends - Forslund calling The Sweep, Bob Cole calling our second ever playoff game win, et cetera - or Buccigross because he's a massive Jackets fan as well.

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
John Sterling and Jack Edwards retire on the same day lol. Best of health and happiness to them in retirement but, goddam you were both annoying. BTW John Sterling although known for being the radio voice of the Yankees for over 35 years. He also did some radio for the New York Islanders I do believe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad