Management Jacques Martin appointed Senior Advisor to the Coaching Staff

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I think(?) that’s good(?)

Potential problems with too many cooks.
Do other teams have people in this position?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Perfect. Keeps Martin in a role that won't be recycled come the offseason

It's the role Sutter had in Anaheim before he joined Calgary 2 years ago. It's a way to get someone into the system without giving them a role they can be fired or replaced from in a few months.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Great move!

Andlauer and Staios picking the low hanging fruit.

Andlauer not really part of the decision other than a stamp of approval… he has trust in his POHO, and he’s doing what he was hired to do.

president of hockey operations and interim general manager Steve Staios announced today the appointment of former Senators head coach Jacques Martin as Senior Advisor to the Coaching Staff”

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

We’ve currently got a bunch of line cooks from Montana’s running the kitchen.

This is the equivalent of bringing in a former Michelin star chef to help them brush up. He’s not there to cook during the dinner rush but he’ll give techniques and help review the menu.

Yeah maybe his techniques aren’t as in vogue anymore but he’s got the classics down and will be able to impart a lot of knowledge.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I hope the coaching staff embrace this hire.

Jacques Martin had a structure that worked really well and if another voice with experience can come in and convince the players to play a certain way more consistently it will help us win, help us in the standings and help the current coaching staff look better. The fear of course is that the coaching staff will be looking out for themselves and minimize his impact by not opening up and/or including him.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Interesting position

Jacques Martin had a structure that worked really well and if another voice with experience can come in and convince the players to play a certain way more consistently it will help us win, help us in the standings and help the current coaching staff look better. The fear of course is that the coaching staff will be looking out for themselves and minimize his impact by not opening up and/or including him.
Well the coaching staff has done nothing but lose for several years. Looking out for themselves should mean asking for Martin’s input in everything and using that knowledge to better themselves

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Andlauer not really part of the decision other than a stamp of approval… he has trust in his POHO, and he’s doing what he was hired to do.

president of hockey operations and interim general manager Steve Staios announced today the appointment of former Senators head coach Jacques Martin as Senior Advisor to the Coaching Staff”

How does the part you quoted about Staios making an announcement support the statement you made about Andlauer having no part in the decision?

How do you know that Andlauer is completely hands off other than a rubber stamp?

Even if you were right about Andlauer being hands off, what was incorrect about me saying « Andlauer and Staios picking the low hanging fruit »? Does Jacques Martin not work for Andlauer and Staios?

It almost seems that you’re still hung up on Melnyk and trying to discredit Andlauer.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

I’d imagine his experience helping Pittsburgh to two cups as an assistant without leading to removing Sullivan would help.

Hopefully he shows up at the first meeting wearing his cup rings.

Reactions: LiseL and maclean

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
This is incredible because I actually thought a few minutes ago

" Damn I wish we had a Jacques Martin, DJ Smith duo "

I don't know exactly what is going to transpire with this but I wouldn't mind keeping DJ (because the guys really likes him) IF he only takes care of what happens in the offensive zone.

Jacques Martin has been on TV on TVA Sports for a while, and the guy is still a very high end hockey mind. This is really GREAT.

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Jacques first order of business should be in order:

- punch Cap in the throat
- Go over video with Chychrun to point out the terrible decision making that has crept into his game
- work with Branny to anticipate his options on puck retrieval BEFORE he retrieves the puck
- teach all D how to defend without fronting
- buy new luggage because he may be behind the bench if things don’t continue to progress.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad