Player Discussion Jakob Chychrun (D)

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
If the result of this is Sanderson on the 3rd pair... I am not going to like it.

Can you please list all the possibilities.
There should be no "3rd pair". Sanderson would get PP and PK time + 20mins/night. He'd also get to take advantage of easier matchups, which would most likely beneficial for his offensive development in the NHL.

Tampa won their cups with Hedman, Mcdonagh, Sergachev on the left side. Each one of them played 20mins+/night and one was always on the ice at any point in the game. No "weak pairing" to speak of.

Chicago did the same with Keith, Hjalmarsson/prime Oduya and Leddy on the left side.

It's our best course. Don't force players that excel on the left to the right for the sake of having a "strong top 4". Roll with one of them on each pair, have one of them on the ice at any point in games and have a strong defensive core top to bottom. It's a luxury we haven't had in Ottawa... ever.

As an early Dorion believer, then hater the moment Zibanejad + 2nd for Brassard was done, it's his best work along with Stützle's contract. This trade makes up for a lot. A lot.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
There should be no "3rd pair". Sanderson would get PP and PK time + 20mins/night. He'd also get to take advantage of easier matchups, which would most likely beneficial for his offensive development in the NHL.

Tampa won their cups with Hedman, Mcdonagh, Sergachev on the left side. Each one of them played 20mins+/night and one was always on the ice at any point in the game. No "weak pairing" to speak of.

Chicago did the same with Keith, Hjalmarsson/prime Oduya and Leddy on the left side.

It's our best course. Don't force players that excel on the left to the right for the sake of having a "strong top 4". Roll with one of them on each pair, have one of them on the ice at any point in games and have a strong defensive core top to bottom. It's a luxury we haven't had in Ottawa... ever.

As an early Dorion believer, then hater the moment Zibanejad + 2nd for Brassard was done, it's his best work along with Stützle's contract. This trade makes up for a lot. A lot.

Never works out like that... Put your top 4 together and feed them more icetime

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
There are two examples of it "working out like that" on championship winning teams in the post you quoted.

In both cases, the bluechip up and coming D was the one that got to take advantage of easier matchups and in both cases, said blueliners went on to have very successful NHL careers. Plenty more examples too.

Chabot, Chychrun, Sanderson is a championship winning caliber left side D and it's our best course, over forcing one of them to the right side to have a good looking top 4 on paper.

Reactions: CorrectOpinion

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

I wonder though.....4 rounds of playoff hockey plus 82 regular seaosn games.....that's a lot of icetime.

Perhaps going 20-20-20 might be the best thing in the long run?

Edit to add:

It keeps everyone on their strong side, and it lowers CHabot's icetime. We've seen over and over what happens when Chabot gets overused out there. And we know how amazing he is when he isn't over used. This might solve that problem.

Reactions: boxbox

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
What about Tampa and their two cups with Hedman, McDonaugh and Sergachev all anchoring their own pairings?

We have to move someone over. unless we call up JBD.
They are all Natural LD RD pairs .. Sergachev spent more time with one of Hedman and McDonagh than he did as a LD..

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I wonder though.....4 rounds of playoff hockey plus 82 regular seaosn games.....that's a lot of icetime.

I think we’re likely to se a 22-21-17 play out as we get a lot of power play opportunities and our two RD are gifted defensively.

What an excellent headache to have!

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
They are all Natural LD RD pairs .. Sergachev spent more time with one of Hedman and McDonagh than he did as a LD..
That's blatantly false. Sergachev anchored his own pairing on the left side and moved up to play with Hedman/McDonagh in certain game situations. He was never moved over to the right side and Tampa has 2 cups to show for it.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I guess Brassards appeal to Dorion to add worked, Brassard making a pitch to be AGM after wrapping up his on ice career?
Funny you should say that - Brassard owns a piece of the Gatineau Olympiques, and is apparently pretty involved and hands-on. (As much as he can be given his other responsibilities.) Apparently he's a hockey nerd in the best sense of that term, and I could easily see him going into management...

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't think that's true, at least not 5v5.

Played with Shatenkirk, Cernek and Savard more than Hedman or McDonagh.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
What about Tampa and their two cups with Hedman, McDonaugh and Sergachev all anchoring their own pairings?
Tampa had Sergachev move up to rd if they got down in games it was bit of a hybrid situation. Their team rarely got down so it worked. Don't think the sens are going to be in that position as much.

That being said I haven't watched many Coyotes games but one I did watch had Chychrun on RD and he was pretty good. Limited viewings though, small sample size.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think our best line combinations will be:
Chabot - Zub
Sandy - Chychrun
Branny - Hamonic

I think Chychrun is in the mold of the exact player we want sanderson to become and there will be no better player for him to learn his game from. Also could see some crazy chemistry between these two.

Per the Coyotes journalist on the PDO Cast episode about Chychrun, he hasn't actually played that much on the right side and didn't look his best on that side. Gostisbehere was the one who switched sides on his pairing, which would make sense because he was more agile than Chychrun.

If the result of this is Sanderson on the 3rd pair... I am not going to like it.

Does your opinion change if Sanderson is playing 23 minutes? 14 on the left side and 9 on the right?

Sergachev averaged about 14 on the left bottom pair and 7 on the right of the top pair for Tampa (those are the proportions, some of his 21 ATOI was obviously spectral teams). I'd suggest a little more for Sanderson because he's better.

Edit to add:

It keeps everyone on their strong side, and it lowers CHabot's icetime. We've seen over and over what happens when Chabot gets overused out there. And we know how amazing he is when he isn't over used. This might solve that problem.

20-20-20 is a waste of talent. We just need Chabot to play under 25.

An Ottawa version of the Tampa model could be 23-23-23 though. With Chychrun-Zub standing in for McDonagh-Cernak who played the hard defensive minutes.*

Chabot - x/Sanderson. 23
Chychrun - Zub. 23
Sanderson - x. 14

Edit: this is all normalized for 60 minutes, you can make it more accurate and throw in PP and PK yourself lol.

*Everyone obviously plays best with Zub, maybe Chabot needs him more.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't think that's true, at least not 5v5.

Played with Shatenkirk, Cernek and Savard more than Hedman or McDonagh.

Tampa had Sergachev move up to rd if they got down in games it was bit of a hybrid situation. Their team rarely got down so it worked. Don't think the sens are going to be in that position as much.

That being said I haven't watched many Coyotes games but one I did watch had Chychrun on RD and he was pretty good. Limited viewings though, small sample size.

Wrong years, their cups were 2020 and 2021

Shatenkirk 633
Schenn 267
Foote 225
Cernak 190

Vs Hedman 255
McDonagh 168

Flip to playoffs

Cernak 192
Savard 182
Shatenkirk 168
Schenn 77

Vs

Hedman 123
McDonaugh 46

Clearly a hybrid situation with Sergachev playing all the bottom pair LD minutes and then topping up next to Hedman. Serg played 21 minutes a night.

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
677 minutes with either McDonagh or Hedman
vs 523 with Foote

NOT SO BLATANTLY FALSE
Cal Foote never played a full season in Tampa. He was a journeyman 7th D for them. Very deceptive to compare the time Sergachev spent with him to the time he spent with BOTH Hedman and McDonagh.

2021-2022
1. 1151:50 minutes with Cernak, Foote, Bogosian, Rutta, Sustr, Claessen or Raddysh (70%)
2. 578:40 minutes with Hedman or Mcdonaugh (30%)

So yeah, he anchored his own pairing and play PP/PK with Hedman/Mcdonaugh... Which Sanderson would too, as suggested.

Also note that last season was the most Sergachev ever played with Hedman/McDonaugh. Tampa knew they were losing the latter and took plenty of looks at Sergachev in tougher matchup situations.

Sergachev played 377:40 minutes total with Hedman/Mcdonaugh in 2020-2021 and even less in 2019-2020. With that, I digress.

Reactions: JD1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad