Signing(s): Jared Goff signs extension with the Lions (4 years, $212 million)

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I was obviously hoping for less but it is what it is. They had to keep him and this is what it costs to keep good QB's nowadays.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
My god that's a lot of undeserved money.

I would think he could be replaced. I'm sure a guy like Minshew can throw equally as well with Penei protecting him and having Amon-ra as WR, but for half the price.

• Haha
Reactions: DaaaaB's and MMC

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg

I would think he could be replaced. I'm sure a guy like Minshew can throw equally as well with Penei protecting him and having Amon-ra as WR, but for half the price.
The Lions came very close to a SB berth with Goff, thus I understand that they do not want to gamble and trust a journeyman QB, who could likely be a downgrade. I was hoping that Goff played the upcoming season before being signed to such an expensive extension plus I also think this is a lot of money for a QB who is good, but might not have ideal leverage.

Anyway, the Lions obviously want to keep their core guys and maintain an environment with as little friction as possible - so Goff got a huge new contract like St. Brown and Sewell did before. Holmes has made few mistakes by turning the laughingstock Lions into a winner, so I trust him on this (I don't have any other choice anyway).

Gruß,
BSHH

Reactions: DaaaaB's and Voight

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Probably can get out in 2 years.
If $170 mill is guaranteed ( need to check if that is fully guaranteed on signing) then it’s essentially a 3 year deal with year 4 worth $42 mill.

Hooker isn’t getting on the field on his rookie deal now….

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
it is a great time to be an above average QB
You mean a top 10 borderline top 5 QB in the league the last 2 seasons that led the Lions, THE LIONS to an NFC Championship game and within a possession of a SB appearance? He's more than above average, he's been very good the last 2 seasons.

What the hell?

Detroit wasn't gonna get another QB but what the heck, that's tons of money.
It's market value, he might not even be top 10 paid QB in a few years. Look at Goff's numbers and you'd be surprised at how good he's been but I'm not surprised at how underrated he is still. It's a lot of money but good QBs get paid a lot of money. Cousins who is 6 years older got 4 years $180m, this is the market.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight and LT

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This is the value of a top DE and LT combined. Kind of crazy how much more than other positions these QB deals are getting.

Reactions: Voight

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I can make fun of the money………

But honestly he would get that on the open market

So Frank it.
Still don’t like his back pedaling throwing off his back foot at the slightest sign of pressure

his throws sure do hang up there more than others

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
You mean a top 10 borderline top 5 QB in the league the last 2 seasons that led the Lions, THE LIONS to an NFC Championship game and within a possession of a SB appearance? He's more than above average, he's been very good the last 2 seasons.

It's market value, he might not even be top 10 paid QB in a few years. Look at Goff's numbers and you'd be surprised at how good he's been but I'm not surprised at how underrated he is still. It's a lot of money but good QBs get paid a lot of money. Cousins who is 6 years older got 4 years $180m, this is the market.

I still can’t believe they fumbled the NFC Championship game, also Dan Campbell’s constant 4th down game management drove me nuts.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I still can’t believe they fumbled the NFC Championship game, also Dan Campbell’s constant 4th down game management drove me nuts.
Please, don't remind me haha.
Just in terms of Dan Gamble? His aggressiveness played a big role in getting the Lions as far as they did so it's a live by the sword die by the sword situation with Campbell but a whole lot more living than dying. If Josh Reynolds made a basic catch on that first 4th down when they were up by 14 and driving for another score, they're more than likely in the SB but I digress.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Just in terms of Dan Gamble? His aggressiveness played a big role in getting the Lions as far as they did so it's a live by the sword die by the sword situation with Campbell but a whole lot more living than dying. If Josh Reynolds made a basic catch on that first 4th down when they were up by 14 and driving for another score, they're more than likely in the SB but I digress.

I still think taking the points on 4th down would've helped, they had a big lead at half time.
Ah well, what's done is done. The schedule comes out this Wednesday with Baltimore/Kansas City as the starter game!

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

To your point; In 2020 (first year of his last contract) the 5 highest paid QBs were:

• Patrick Mahomes. KC, QB. $45,000,000.
  • Deshaun Watson. HOU, QB. $39,000,000.
  • Russell Wilson. SEA, QB. $35,000,000.
  • Ben Roethlisberger. PIT, QB. $34,000,000.
  • Jared Goff. LAR, QB. $33,500,000.

Just two years later, the top 5 were

• Matthew Stafford, Rams $61,500,000.
  • Russell Wilson, Broncos $57,000,000.
  • Josh Allen, Bills $47,000,000.
  • Deshaun Watson, Browns $45,367,500.
  • Aaron Rodgers, Packers $41,950,000.

So #1 in 2020 would've been #5 only two years later.

Whatever deal Trevor Lawrence gets in the next couple months will knock down Goff one spot on the QB pay ranking anyways.

As a Packers fan I was really rooting for them. 49ers kicking our ass in recent years aside, I feel for Lions fans. The fact that you and so many have stuck by the team despite a lack of playoff success is admirable.

Reactions: Breakers

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004

Sounds like you're stuck in 2021. Comparing Goff to Minshew is just ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad